Currys cookers

hawkesmith

Featured Posts

So.… We bought a Logik cooker from Currys specifically because they supplied it with LPG jets and instructions on how to convert it.  We didn't install it for nearly 12 months and when we did I rebuilt the gas supply 3 times mistrusting my own work because there was a tiny leak, until I finally suspected the cooker....3 taps failed! 

I contacted Currys and told them truthfully that I hadn't connected it to gas but had done the BSS test with air and it had revealed the problem. They told me that they wouldn't come out to a boat (apparently they deem it not domestic) and it had to be connected to a gas supply! so I told them "fine ; I will set it up at home". They then booked an engineer who later  informed me he did not have a certificate for LPG so he could not attend. He would inform Currys who would contact me. Needless to say....

So I spent a further fruitless hour on the phone today only to be hung up on.

I am still no nearer to resolving this issue. In a nut shell;  having been told there was a serious fault with a gas cooker they still told me it had to be connected to a gas supply before they would inspect and they do not have the skills available to inspect or repair an LPG cooker. So having insisted it is connected to a gas supply they then refuse to come out and inspect.

I have offered to send them a video of the cooker blowing bubbles, but apparently that isn't proof enough!

Serves me right, I went looking for what I wanted then looked for the cheapest price. But thank heavens for the BSS. 

I am not one to publicly complain, but Currys have incensed me with this one. It could so easily have ended in tragedy and their lack of interest is dumbfounding.

22 minutes ago, hawkesmith said:

So.… We bought a Logik cooker from Currys specifically because they supplied it with LPG jets and instructions on how to convert it.  We didn't install it for nearly 12 months and when we did I rebuilt the gas supply 3 times mistrusting my own work because there was a tiny leak, until I finally suspected the cooker....3 taps failed! 

I contacted Currys and told them truthfully that I hadn't connected it to gas but had done the BSS test with air and it had revealed the problem. They told me that they wouldn't come out to a boat (apparently they deem it not domestic) and it had to be connected to a gas supply! so I told them "fine ; I will set it up at home". They then booked an engineer who later  informed me he did not have a certificate for LPG so he could not attend. He would inform Currys who would contact me. Needless to say....

So I spent a further fruitless hour on the phone today only to be hung up on.

I am still no nearer to resolving this issue. In a nut shell;  having been told there was a serious fault with a gas cooker they still told me it had to be connected to a gas supply before they would inspect and they do not have the skills available to inspect or repair an LPG cooker. So having insisted it is connected to a gas supply they then refuse to come out and inspect.

I have offered to send them a video of the cooker blowing bubbles, but apparently that isn't proof enough!

Serves me right, I went looking for what I wanted then looked for the cheapest price. But thank heavens for the BSS. 

I am not one to publicly complain, but Currys have incensed me with this one. It could so easily have ended in tragedy and their lack of interest is dumbfounding.

A few years ago at a pub I was running we had a gas leak in the kitchen. It was bad so cooking stopped and I called the readily available emergency gas leak number and told them we were on LPG ( we had a huge tank in the garden ) out comes a bod very promptly on a sunday morning. he asks whats happened, we tell him and he says yes you definately have a leak. great I says can you fix it straight away? Oooooooooooh no he says, I am a mains gas Bod I dont have qualifications for LPG I cannot touch it but Ive condemned it so you cant use it :banghead: Beaurocracy gone stark raving mad. 

1 hour ago, hawkesmith said:

Phone them in the morning and inform them that you’re about to call Trading Standards as soon as they put the phone down. See if their attitude changes. 

Who actually manufactures the cooker?

I had the same problem with a bashed electric cooker, I still have it, it works, but not installed according to manuf guide. I mean that's only a guide ........... ain't it?

I tried to get interest from the vendor, trading standards [a joke], the manufacturer would send someone out if I paid him, he would not install it, so he is only going to condemn it, why would he not?

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Over a year old :(

I wouldn't threaten them with trading standards. Tell them by letter you are rejecting it under the sale of goods act (or whatever they have changed it to now......Alan?????.....consumer summit act?) as it is not fit for purpose on safety grounds and you want your money back. If they don't agree .......which they will.......then you threaten to take them to the small claims court.....then they will give you your money back. Even at 1 year old this should be successful. 

Google the consumer protection act and you may find some sample letters. Unsafe kit is always a good reason to reject an item.

Did you pay with a credit card? That's another way to get your money back.

Currys, PC World Dixons have a terrible attitude to claims, I had to recover via the credit card on a computer. After 14 days they will "repair" it themselves rather than the makers, Phewy!

Small Claims Court, unfit for purpose, matters not how long the guarantee was, there is a 5 year liability.

Demand from the manufacturers too, but its the retailer who has to act in the last regard.

a polite letter may work but as an ex ex retail manager you do not have a lot of ground , however anytime someone came to me in your shoes and was polite I always exchanged even on items that were 18 months old.

politeness is the key so keep your cool.

This is wierd. One tap fail ok, but three?  That would suggest that many other people also have had this problem with this model, can you find any sign of it on the www? I would just replace all the taps on the device, you can expend so much effort trying to get suppliers/manufacturers to pay up.  How exactly did you test it with air?

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I wouldn't threaten them with trading standards. Tell them by letter you are rejecting it under the sale of goods act (or whatever they have changed it to now......Alan?????.....consumer summit act?)

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes your rights as a consumer easier to understand and now covers online shopping as well as goods and services bought in shops. If you've bought something and it's broken, doesn't work, or isn't what you'd expected, find out here when you can claim, and who can help you with your complaint.

Citizens Advice can tell you about your rights when buying online or in person. Phone them on 0345 404 0506 or 0345 404 0505 (Welsh language).

Buying from a shop or other seller

What are my rights?

You can make a claim for a refund, repair or replacement when the product you've bought (it could be an object or a service) doesn't meet these three standards:

• Satisfactory quality: The product shouldn't be damaged or faulty when you receive it.
  • Fit for purpose: You should be able to use it for what the seller says it will do (its purpose), whether that's their statement when you buy it, or an answer to your question. For instance, a tin opener should open tins.
  • As described: It should match its description when you bought it. For example, a metal gadget shouldn't be mainly plastic, or clothes shouldn't be a different size.

If a service isn't provided 'with reasonable care and skill' or 'as agreed', the provider must bring it into line with what was agreed with the customer. If this isn't practical, such as when a haircut's too short, they must give some money back.

Travel: It's also possible to claim when public transport services are poor, for example when a seat you've paid for is unavailable or there's no toilet accessible to you on a long journey.

Is there a time limit?

There are now clear time limits for you to ask for refunds, repairs or replacements:

• Refund: You can get a refund up to 30 days from when you bought the product, if it was from a UK seller. You can also get a repair or replacement if you prefer.
  • Repair or replacement: You can get your product repaired or replaced up to six months from your purchase. The retailer has one chance to make the repair. If you're still unhappy, you then have a right to a refund.
  • You can still get a repair or refund after six months, but the seller has the right to deduct some money for the use you've had from the product. You'll have to prove that it was faulty when you got it.
Edited by Alan de Enfield

afaik gas taps are only sealed with grease, anything over normal pressure would surely blow them, in an old cooker this can dry up sometimes turning the knob back and forwards a few times can sometimes reseal it.

Edited by Phoenix_V

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I wouldn't threaten them with trading standards. Tell them by letter you are rejecting it under the sale of goods act (or whatever they have changed it to now......Alan?????.....consumer summit act?) as it is not fit for purpose on safety grounds and you want your money back. If they don't agree .......which they will.......then you threaten to take them to the small claims court.....then they will give you your money back. Even at 1 year old this should be successful. 

Google the consumer protection act and you may find some sample letters. Unsafe kit is always a good reason to reject an item.

They could claim it was fit for purpose when sold, if it wasn't, why did it take the customer over a year to complain.

(I agree that they should sort the problem out)

23 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

They could claim it was fit for purpose when sold, if it wasn't, why did it take the customer over a year to complain.

(I agree that they should sort the problem out)

From my post above :

You can still get a repair or refund after six months, but the seller has the right to deduct some money for the use you've had from the product. You'll have to prove that it was faulty when you got it.

Not easy to prove if you have left it in its box for 12 months

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

From my post above :

You can still get a repair or refund after six months, but the seller has the right to deduct some money for the use you've had from the product. You'll have to prove that it was faulty when you got it.

Not easy to prove if you have left it in its box for 12 months

I disagree!

Its easier if its been  unused as it cant be blamed on bad usage etc.

If it ever got to small claims court then the judge will look at the evidence and if it is likely it was a manufacturing fault then he will rule that way. Problem here in this case is the OP "did the conversion himself" and could have done something not recommended by the manufactures (not easy to tell for what has been posted). What will go against Curry's in any legal dispute is there unwillingness to discuss the problem or resolve it. If the Op got an expert to look at the unit and advise on what is wrong, it would strengthen his case significantly.

If its just the taps leaking and it all gets too silly just buy the grease and re grease the taps. You can obviously re test to your satisfaction.

Available approved for LPG at Amazon fo-r example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regin-REG-Z15-Gas-Tap-Grease/dp/B00PDFDU1I

There are others on ebay but this is a known product.

For a tenner its hardly worth the candle to get heavy with Curry's, you will have better things to do with your time I bet.

I bought two electric kettles from Curry's, one for me one for a friend.   ''Essentials'' £4.99p each''. Both worked about three times and then packed up. took em to bits and found the auto shut off bi-metal strips were flattened out, bent them up a bit with a finger nail and both have worked beutifully for over a year now,

• Love 1

Thanks for the input.

I tested it by putting 15psi in and reducing to 10 psi. then sealed it with a gauge in line. Over a period of 40 mins it would gradually lose pressure.

The retail on the taps is £50 each so that is not an option. But boater Sams comment on regreasing sounds like a most probable route.

We bought the cooker nearly a year ago but the build took / has taken / is taking much, much longer than envisaged.  It was only a couple of weeks ago that I actually installed and tested it.

What has angered me so much is Currys response or lack of.

I have contacted trading standards and have now written to Currys as advised.

I will keep you updated on developments.

Cheers

15psi seems a bit much:

This quote from a BEngo post:

I have always found a good way to find tiny leaks is to increase the pressure a bit. Take the test point out of its tee fitting and fit a Schrader valve then pump up to about 5 psi with either a foot pump or a bike pump. Don't overdo it - normal working pressure is only 37 mbar. Check the joints with leak detecting stuff (not washing up liquid and water).

10 minutes ago, hawkesmith said:

Thanks for the input.

I tested it by putting 15psi in and reducing to 10 psi. then sealed it with a gauge in line. Over a period of 40 mins it would gradually lose pressure.

The retail on the taps is £50 each so that is not an option. But boater Sams comment on regreasing sounds like a most probable route.

We bought the cooker nearly a year ago but the build took / has taken / is taking much, much longer than envisaged.  It was only a couple of weeks ago that I actually installed and tested it.

What has angered me so much is Currys response or lack of.

I have contacted trading standards and have now written to Currys as advised.

I will keep you updated on developments.

Cheers

Whoa! 15 psi is way way too much, you have blown the grease out.

15   INCHES on a water gauge is the test pressure.

15 minutes ago, hawkesmith said:

Thanks for the input.

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

15psi seems a bit much:

37mbar is 0.5PSI (half a psi)

You may have done serious damage to the seals by testing it at 30 x operational pressure.

"If it doesn't work, keep hitting it with a bigger and bigger hammer until something happens !"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

37mbar is 0.5PSI (half a psi)

You may have done serious damage to the seals by testing it at 30 x operational pressure.

"If it doesn't work, keep hitting it with a bigger and bigger hammer until something happens !"

Indeed. In a previous life I used to commission all sorts of equipment, including pressurised gas and water systems.

Testing was always done at twice operational pressure.

It is amazing how the full story never comes out until the end of a thread. One reason why gas work is so tightly controlled is that many enthusiastic amateurs do not fully understand what they are working with and their expectations of performance are seriously flawed.