Checkers missing boats on home mooring

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Another CRT system not fit for purpose!
A member of our club had similar email yesterday. He's been back since October but has been in dry dock for 3 weeks and then moored for 14 days nearby while he carried out some work. Technically he has not been on his 'Home Mooring' for awhile but never more than 10 feet away from the end of Club moorings. Surely CRT can't change your status to 'No Home Mooring' just because you aren't always on your stated mooring. Many members go off from Easter until October.

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

Another CRT system not fit for purpose!
A member of our club had similar email yesterday. He's been back since October but has been in dry dock for 3 weeks and then moored for 14 days nearby while he carried out some work. Technically he has not been on his 'Home Mooring' for awhile but never more than 10 feet away from the end of Club moorings. Surely CRT can't change your status to 'No Home Mooring' just because you aren't always on your stated mooring. Many members go off from Easter until October.

KeepingUp's been cruising for 2 years, so this makes no sense. Someone, somewhere, has programmed something daft. Usually because code is written by those who know nothing of the purpose and are given specs by idiots, or managers as they are often called. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

KeepingUp's been cruising for 2 years, so this makes no sense. Someone, somewhere, has programmed something daft. Usually because code is written by those who know nothing of the purpose and are given specs by idiots, or managers as they are often called. 

Why always blame the software?  An application like this is inherently simple, but is dependent on good data.  I would wager that the data is poor.

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

Why always blame the software?  An application like this is inherently simple, but is dependent on good data.  I would wager that the data is poor.

GIGO

However, I think Arthur may well have a valid point about the design of the application. 

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

In my case, according to CaRT, the boat was on the wrong mooring. It seems CaRT give all moorings a code that is different to their ordinary location code. How the boater is supposed to know and what code applies to what mooring I have no idea. Despite being on the same mooring for maybe 15 years or more and presumably being checked and recorded on their systems in that time they suddenly discover the boat was recorded as having a home mooring of Calcutt Boats (hire) rather than where it was Calcutt Boats (marina). In that 15 years or so this must have come to their attention --- or was it a system change.

What is even more interesting is that I have obtained two sighting report lists   after many months of travelling the system, one gave the boat as in Ventnor farm marina (its never been there) and a later one as being in the Napton reservoir feeder. That at a stretch could be the Calcutt Locks Marina because I think the feeder flows through it so    now some 5 years or so later the boat's mooring was changed somehow

What is more annoying is that  the CaRT reply detailing the mooring L6 and L7 nonsense said they had change it. I then got an email informing me that I had changed my home mooring. All without any explanation as to how it happened or any sort of meaningful apology. I got the impression they were trying to blame me for not knowing about thir mooring location designation and giving them the wrong one.

How many of you know about these CaRT L numbers?

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

In my case, according to CaRT, the boat was on the wrong mooring. It seems CaRT give all moorings a code that is different to their ordinary location code. How the boater is supposed to know and what code applies to what mooring I have no idea. Despite being on the same mooring for maybe 15 years or more and presumably being checked and recorded on their systems in that time they suddenly discover the boat was recorded as having a home mooring of Calcutt Boats (hire) rather than where it was Calcutt Boats (marina). In that 15 years or so this must have come to their attention --- or was it a system change.

What is even more interesting is that I have obtained two sighting report lists   after many months of travelling the system, one gave the boat as in Ventnor farm marina (its never been there) and a later one as being in the Napton reservoir feeder. That at a stretch could be the Calcutt Locks Marina because I think the feeder flows through it so    now some 5 years or so later the boat's mooring was changed somehow

What is more annoying is that  the CaRT reply detailing the mooring L6 and L7 nonsense said they had change it. I then got an email informing me that I had changed my home mooring. All without any explanation as to how it happened or any sort of meaningful apology. I got the impression they were trying to blame me for not knowing about thir mooring location designation and giving them the wrong one.

How many of you know about these CaRT L numbers?

So basically bad data then.  I bet they have not actively been cross checking until now.  To me it just the classic case of thinking you have all this data that has been collected over many years (but not been  used), and when you start using it you find the quality is poor. 

Does CRT distinguish between Meadows and Locks marina (and the online ones)  at Calcutt, all it says as the mooring location for our boat is “Calcutt Marina - Moorings”, so not specific at all.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So basically bad data then.  I bet they have not actively been cross checking until now.  To me it just the classic case of thinking you have all this data that has been collected over many years (but not been  used), and when you start using it you find the quality is poor. 

Does CRT distinguish between Meadows and Locks marina (and the online ones)  at Calcutt, all it says as the mooring location for our boat is “Calcutt Marina - Moorings”, so not specific at all.

That is the point, who knows. CaRT certainly have not told us or given their codes and asked for our location. Anyway as most mooring contracts allow the marina to move berths the boat could be on a different one  next week. It is all a nonsense.

Up until a few years ago CRT logged my home mooring as a private  marina in Dewsbury some 5 or 6 miles away. When I pointed this out to them they said it's because they didn't have the boat club as a location and they changed it to Calder Navigation. Yesterday when I checked they now have my home mooring as the boat club so they must have done some updating recently.

All I can say is never try to license your boat as electric! I have been through months of pain with it! Now sorted with the help of a license checker.

Our marina operates a no fixed mooring spot as well, in practice it doesn't happen but on linear moorings it does make sense

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

All I can say is never try to license your boat as electric! I have been through months of pain with it! Now sorted with the help of a license checker.

Ohm my goodness! Watt a shambles. ?

On 14/03/2019 at 11:16, LadyG said:

According to my local garage owner, trade plates were stopped when a load of guys decided to use them on their own cars, unfortunately two such vehicles were then involved in the same RTI

Trade licence plates can save you time and money if you're in the motor industry - you won't have to register and tax every vehicle temporarily in your possession. You need to apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency ( DVLA ) for a tradelicence to be able to use trade plates.

4 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Trade licence plates can save you time and money if you're in the motor industry - you won't have to register and tax every vehicle temporarily in your possession. You need to apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency ( DVLA ) for a tradelicence to be able to use trade plates.

Yes they are still in use.

A mate of mine who works for a company that restores classic cars brought an E Type round to show me recently and the trade plates are partially visible in this photo.

20190212_110855.jpg

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Up until a few years ago CRT logged my home mooring as a private  marina in Dewsbury some 5 or 6 miles away. When I pointed this out to them they said it's because they didn't have the boat club as a location and they changed it to Calder Navigation. Yesterday when I checked they now have my home mooring as the boat club so they must have done some updating recently.

Let's hope you are tied up well or you will be clocked at Hull next week....

44 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Let's hope you are tied up well or you will be clocked at Hull next week....

I had a huge argument with Hull marina when I arrived for a mooring I had applied for, been granted and paid for (in advance)

They refused it.

On asking why they said I had not got a BSSC and BWML T&Cs demanded that a BSSC was evidenced before granting a mooring.

I then explained that as a sea-going vessel (we had just completed a 3000 mile cruise) we didn't need one.

Yes you do to go on the Humber and into the Marina.

No I don't.

Eventually the 'Directors' at Sawley head office, made a decision - I did not need a BSSC and their T&Cs would be amended to make it applicable ONLY for marinas on waters that required a BSS to obtain a licence.

I seem to live in a very strange world - or other folks do !!

(The blindingly obvious is not always so obvious)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 hours ago, Tonka said:

Tony, I moor on L4 in Calcutt and I thought you were nearer to L6, L7 or L8

But I have no idea what the L numbers are. I am on pier 11 (I think) so its not a Calcutt thing as far as I can tell and the L number CaRT thinks I was on is designated "Hire boat mooring", so still in the dark with what goes on.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But I have no idea what the L numbers are. I am on pier 11 (I think) so its not a Calcutt thing as far as I can tell and the L number CaRT thinks I was on is designated "Hire boat mooring", so still in the dark with what goes on.

I am on the left side of pier 4 when viewed from middle of marina which Calcutt designate as L4. In locks marina

20 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I am on the left side of pier 4 when viewed from middle of marina which Calcutt designate as L4. In locks marina

That is just the way that Calcutt does it, it does not relate to the way that CRT designate the mooring location, and I am sure that CRT do not have or want to have the exact pier that you are on.  In the case of Calcutt I can’t see why CRT would want to know which marina you are in either, although I would think the online moorings would be designated differently by CRT.

On 14/03/2019 at 11:54, Tony Brooks said:

This affair and two previous incorrect locations adds to my decision to leave boating within the next year or so. I can do without the constant fear of legal action from CaRT hanging over my head.

A bit of an extreme reaction to some thing that is easily sorted. Don't let the barstewards get ya down.