Checkers missing boats on home mooring

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Just had an email from CaRT saying my boat ha snot be sited on its home mooring and if I did not put it right within 28 days they would be altering its registration to "no home mooring". Apart from a few days over the last half term it has been tied up in Calcutt Marine since last October and I was last on it three weeks ago.

Be aware CaRT seem to be playing silly beggars so if you don't want all sorts of legal trouble try to keep recent dated photographic evidence that your boat is on its home mooring unless you are out cruising.

Also be aware that CaRTs contact webform does not send a copy to your email address so take a copy before you send it.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just had an email from CaRT saying my boat ha snot be sited on its home mooring and if I did not put it right within 28 days they would be altering its registration to "no home mooring". Apart from a few days over the last half term it has been tied up in Calcutt Marine since last October and I was last on it three weeks ago.

Be aware CaRT seem to be playing silly beggars so if you don't want all sorts of legal trouble try to keep recent dated photographic evidence that your boat is on its home mooring unless you are out cruising.

Also be aware that CaRTs contact webform does not send a copy to your email address so take a copy before you send it.

Thats absurd, some go cruising for months at a time.

1 minute ago, BWM said:

Thats absurd, some go cruising for months at a time.

Because when I am out cruising I often put the boat into  marina for a week while I go home so the checkers could  conclude I overstayed somewhere I have twice got the locations they checked the boat. One put it in a marina on the opposite side of the canal to mine and the second claimed it was in a CaRT reservoir feeder so I have no idea how their system works. I suspect its dodgy GPS derived location data on the checkers' terminals.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds like you got on the same system as Cotswolds Man's overstaying notification.

Bod

Probably a simple transcription error. My wife once got a parking fine notice from Lewisham Council, complete with a photograph of a car with registration number one digit different from hers. Easily sorted out with a phone call.

Or perhaps someone has cloned Tony's CRT index plate. 

I have seen CRT walking round a marina. The problem is its bit of a default system, if they don't see you they assume you haven't moved from your last sighting, when you could move every day for 6 months and not actually be spotted.

Our boat was moored, very visibly from the towpath, alongside Wigrams Field at Napton Junction on the Northern GU, however, it took C&RT three attempts before they got our mooring records correct, At first they put the boat as moored Wigrams Turn Marina on the Oxford,  After attempting to correct them, they put it as moored at Napton Narrowboats, also on the Oxford. It was only after I gave them the adjacent bridge number and distance and direction from it, that their third attempt got the location correct.  I suspect would we would have received the same sort of messages stating that our boat was never on it's mooring, if I had not persisted.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Probably a simple transcription error. My wife once got a parking fine notice from Lewisham Council, complete with a photograph of a car with registration number one digit different from hers. Easily sorted out with a phone call.

Or perhaps someone has cloned Tony's CRT index plate. 

One of our local farmers once recieved a parking fine notice for parking his vehicle in Soho London. He was somewhat bemused as he had not visited London for years and the registration number  on the penalty notice belonged to a Huge Case Tractor which had never ventured more than a few miles from the farm. Even so it took several attempts to perersuade the Authorities that he had never travelled the 100+ miles to London in his tractor, let alone parked it in Soho!

According to my local garage owner, trade plates were stopped when a load of guys decided to use them on their own cars, unfortunately two such vehicles were then involved in the same RTI

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

According to my local garage owner trade plates were stopped when a load of guys decided to use them on their own cars, unfortunately two such vehicles were involved in the same RTI

Funny a car came past here yesterday on trade plates

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

One of our local farmers once recieved a parking fine notice for parking his vehicle in Soho London. He was somewhat bemused as he had not visited London for years and the registration number  on the penalty notice belonged to a Huge Case Tractor which had never ventured more than a few miles from the farm. Even so it took several attempts to perersuade the Authorities that he had never travelled the 100+ miles to London in his tractor, let alone parked it in Soho!

Had similar with a transit van, received an aggressive letter demanding over £2700 for non payment of London charges. Turned out that someone was using false plates to avoid the central London charges. 

Why on earth would one be paying a lot of money for a marina mooring, if not to use it as a home mooring, and a place to put the boat when one is not out cruising?

Can't be many who are paying for a constantly empty berth. I don't quite see why this is worth the bother for CRT.

Is there something here I'm not getting?

Update.

According to CaRT the problem was that they had the boat recorded at mooing L5 at Calcutt where as it has been on L6 ever since we have been there apart from a very few moths when we first went there. Then it was online between the locks. I have never told CaRT anything other than the mooring is at Calcutt Marina so it still looks like deficiencies in their systems. It is even more concerning when you realise most marinas have a clause in their contract that obliges you to move moorings  upon request so a boater can never know what mooring they will definitely be on the next day, week, month or year.

The checker must have seen it on its moorings at some time in the last 10 plus years so why was the location error not picked up at that time?

5 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

Why on earth would one be paying a lot of money for a marina mooring, if not to use it as a home mooring, and a place to put the boat when one is not out cruising?

Can't be many who are paying for a constantly empty berth. I don't quite see why this is worth the bother for CRT.

Is there something here I'm not getting?

No there is not appart from CaRT's location checking processes not being fit for purpose.

This affair and two previous incorrect locations adds to my decision to leave boating within the next year or so. I can do without the constant fear of legal action from CaRT hanging over my head.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't believe the checkers walk round every marina every few weeks noting who's moored up. Linear moorings I can understand, but the hundreds in offline? 

They do - they have posted a list of inspection dates in our marina (its surprising how many boats go out for that day - one wonders why)

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Update.

According to CaRT the problem was that they had the boat recorded at mooing L5 at Calcutt where as it has been on L6 ever since we have been there apart from a very few moths when we first went there. Then it was online between the locks. I have never told CaRT anything other than the mooring is at Calcutt Marina so it still looks like deficiencies in their systems. It is even more concerning when you realise most marinas have a clause in their contract that obliges you to move moorings  upon request so a boater can never know what mooring they will definitely be on the next day, week, month or year.

The checker must have seen it on its moorings at some time in the last 10 plus years so why was the location error not picked up at that time?

Good - however it doesn't alter the basic premise that whilst one is obliged to have a home mooring (or be engaged in bona fide navigation) there is nothing requiring one to use the home mooring. Your original post seemed to imply "put it back" not "keep moving

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I once knew two brothers that both had very similar ex-US Army jeeps.  They "shared" the same number plate and as one lived in Kent and the other in South Wales it didn't cause them any problems (this was pre-ANPR).

They also had the same identity number painted on the wing:  I82QB4IP  (read it out loud...)

Edited by dor
  • Haha 1

I had an email from CART advising me my boat had been 'missing' from my home mooring at the Boat Club for 2 months. This was reported by the checker who had walked past it at the nearby boat yard where it was being blacked.

As an aside, our Club was presented with a list of 'permanent' moorers for verification, of which about ten were not even recognised. A local wharf would be very embarrassed if all of their declared moorers turned up at the same time!

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Our boat was moored, very visibly from the towpath, alongside Wigrams Field at Napton Junction on the Northern GU, however, it took C&RT three attempts before they got our mooring records correct, At first they put the boat as moored Wigrams Turn Marina on the Oxford,  After attempting to correct them, they put it as moored at Napton Narrowboats, also on the Oxford. It was only after I gave them the adjacent bridge number and distance and direction from it, that their third attempt got the location correct.

The mooring I am on at the moment  is still named by BW/CART as Bourne End Boat Club, the boat club ceased to exist in 1995.........Not surprisingly the land owner has given up trying to tell them its now Bourne End Moorings.

Still on a brighter note the licence refund system works very well. Better than the EA licence application system.