narrowboat windows

Featured Posts

Evening all!

ok so I’ve really been progressing with the boat project the last few weeks and am currently sourcing all leaks to get the boat water right.

basically every single window leaks, I’ve spoken to channel glaze and seals direct to no avail! Basically I need to replace the external seal that pushes into the frame that the top hopper window pushes against when it’s closed.

channel glaze have told me that there seals don’t fit as mine weren’t manufactured by them and seals direct don’t do a seal that matches my profile.

channel glaze have told me that the windows were manufactured by a company called hardall or ardall and they seized trading many years ago.

can any body tell me or have any advice or ideas as to what on earth I can do to rescue these windows.

ive piled thousands into this boat and really can not afford the expense of replacing the windows. 

Also do another window issue is the bathroom windows are total pants, they screw in at the top outside then flip outwards yet the seals are totally shot and there is no window casements for them.

Thankyou all in advance!

6A23A649-27DB-4ED5-8653-EFD94816796D.jpeg

088DDD7A-4CEF-4283-8ADC-28DBED8CCB4D.jpeg

550B480E-6315-435B-A221-46D3E9B4236C.jpeg

2D6141FC-4434-4E30-BF7F-16F6A8B5549C.jpeg

B0F3E485-9AF0-4636-AA69-AF87304E9D3F.jpeg

BBBF1FE2-CB3B-4B18-820A-9557B56CDCC7.jpeg

36907B40-C5A1-47F4-B750-9BD65D1B309F.jpeg

With your hopper window pictures either use a flash inside or take one from outside as its difficult to tell what is right or wrong.

The bathroom window could be resolved with some this 3M window seal - or get Channel glaze to make you a new window to fit the same gap.

Even if Seals Direct don’t sell your exact seal I’d have thought you’d be able to fashion something from what they do sell. Mitred corners on rubber profiles can be very effectively glued with cyanoacrylate (buy a decent one) but obviously it’s fiddly. 

You really only have three options that I can see...

1. Fashion a seal from what you can get. 

2. Close all the windows up and seal them. 

3. Replace the windows. 

2 is obviously a bad idea, you can’t afford 3, so that only leaves 1. 

I have used self adhesive close cell neoprene strip on mine. I think its something like 4 or 5 mm thick and about 7mm wide but it comes in a dumber of different sizes. Just take care how you cut it for the corners. I have also glued U section rubber nearly all the way along the hopper bottom edge.

I will email seals direct and see if I can post them a small piece off one of mine so they can try and get a close match and do exactly that. 

I am am awaiting a quote from channel glaze for single and double glazed units so will have to wait and see what they come back with, if it is absolutely needed I will have no choice but to replace 

10 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

I will email seals direct and see if I can post them a small piece off one of mine so they can try and get a close match and do exactly that. 

I am am awaiting a quote from channel glaze for single and double glazed units so will have to wait and see what they come back with, if it is absolutely needed I will have no choice but to replace 

Prepare for a sharp intake of breath when you read the  quote!!

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you do end up buying new then make sure that the radius of the bottom curve matches what you have.  There are other manufacturers if Channelglaze don't work for you.

29 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

They look as though they may be Caldwells windows.  If so, they are still around.  Try this link https://caldwellswindows.co.uk/narrowboat  

If the link doesn't work, just copy and paste into google.

56 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

Have you tried ringing round double glazing place's I have a Seamaster and we made the bathroom window bigger that's were 

I got mine also they may have your seal I would give Channel glaze the sack.

To be fair the lady I have been dealing with at channel glaze was fantastic, I don’t think I’ve dealt with a company that helpful in a very long time,

just a shame that they can’t supply the parts I need.

as for Caldwell’s I saw a picture only a few days ago and the same style window did have differences but I can’t find the picture now for love nor money but il ring them anyway tomorrow and try!

Has anybody got any experience with Wesley marine windows?

been on their site and a like for like alternative for the bathroom albeit twice the width is £130 0dd pound , if they are good windows il just do that and chop them in with my plasma, can’t find any reviews online tho

One thing to check on the hopper windows is the joint between the triangular bit and the horizontal bar which retain the hopper part. If there is a gap there, the window will leak when open, no matter how good the seals are.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's the ones where you need to weld in a fillet to change the shape of the hole that you need to watch!

Il speak to them today and see and if there’s more fab involved il sort it, fully qualified welder by trade, maybe I’m still a bit naive 

Tricky. I would consider Tony's suggestion of neoprene strip for everything including bedding the frames onto the boat if you remove them.  If you do and the hopper part sticks itself to the neoprene then talc or something will stop it sticking. Hard to tell what's best really without being there. Google all the various adhesive spongy tapes available, might find something.

2 hours ago, Rory_d said:

Il speak to them today and see and if there’s more fab involved il sort it, fully qualified welder by trade, maybe I’m still a bit naive 

If you can alter the shapes and sizes of window holes yourself then it doesn't matter which type of windows you get.

Just be aware that the steelwork is the simple bit, as you also need to redo the interior trim.

They do look very similar to the Caldwells that I have. If so, you will be bang out of luck as far as any help/advice goes - at least from my own personal experiences with them.

Are the drain holes free at the bottom? The problem with mine is that both the glass and the seal block those holes so I end up with water spilling over.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you can alter the shapes and sizes of window holes yourself then it doesn't matter which type of windows you get.

Just be aware that the steelwork is the simple bit, as you also need to redo the interior trim.

Luckily the boat is only battened and cellotexed at the moment so if needs must nows the time!

7 hours ago, Johny London said:

They do look very similar to the Caldwells that I have. If so, you will be bang out of luck as far as any help/advice goes - at least from my own personal experiences with them.

Are the drain holes free at the bottom? The problem with mine is that both the glass and the seal block those holes so I end up with water spilling over.

I spoke to Caldwell’s today and they have requested pictures of them, they did say that even if they’re not the same as theirs then they could possibly try to see if their seals would fit , hopefully they get back to me tomorrow.

as for drain holes there is 2 little holes on the bottom. No sure if their clear tho tbh I must go and look!

Channel glaze want over 4.5k to supply me new windows for the boat, I think new seals is my only option now

Ok, looking again at the pics since you havnt posted any better ones (a picture is worth a thousand words unless it's a crap picture)

The seals aren't split they are cut, it's a single flat seal piece which has a V cut at where the corners are going to be. The seal has slipped/stretched over time and is no longer flush to the corner so the more has opened. 

As others have said, the window still shouldn't leak if the angle is properly joined. 

You may have a lot of moss/growth at the base of the louvre which can let water seep inside. Blocked bottom drains are the most usual  cause of water staying in the boat though.

The lower seals are all perished that seal the lower fixed glass section and there is like has just been said a lot of moss etc in the middle sections, 

i did however find a bundle of 8 windows that are seven years old on eBay so have just bought them and will just replace all the windows in the boat, theory being that as the windows aren’t that old it should be a piece of cake to find who manufactures them.

the seller thinks they are channel glaze or Caldwell’s , the item number is 202624115205

does anybody know know who makes these ones? If so I will ring tomorrow and get the spares for them then hopefully can get them fitted next week