Highest lock pound in Britain?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

On 13/03/2019 at 11:59, magpie patrick said:

I'm wondering what the lowest summit is and having a guess it's probably the Fossdyke... :help::offtopic: 

I think the stretch above Cowbridge lock on the Witham Navigable Drains in Boston, it's certainly lower. Maybe it doesn't count as there is only one way in - but then if Titford is in the list .... 

The problem with well creek is that it is only a summit when the tide is out at Salters Lode...

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

certainly must be as you lock up into the tidal river.

if you lock up into the tidal river it's not a summit. It is a summit when you lock down into the tidal river (not usually a very good idea as you are likely to end up on the mud outside?).

7 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think the stretch above Cowbridge lock on the Witham Navigable Drains in Boston, it's certainly lower. Maybe it doesn't count as there is only one way in - but then if Titford is in the list .... 

The problem with well creek is that it is only a summit when the tide is out at Salters Lode...

I'd forgotten that one! It used to have another way off at East Fen Lock. Although if you go back even further into the dim and distant past I think Hagnaby Lock used to climb from it. But yes, it counts...

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I'd forgotten that one! It used to have another way off at East Fen Lock. Although if you go back even further into the dim and distant past I think Hagnaby Lock used to climb from it. But yes, it counts...

I am pondering explorng that part of the Witham Drains this year, although it does look a bit short of turning spaces so may need to go for push me pull you...

On 18/03/2019 at 21:03, Scholar Gypsy said:

if you lock up into the tidal river it's not a summit. It is a summit when you lock down into the tidal river (not usually a very good idea as you are likely to end up on the mud outside?).

As someone else pointed out  : The problem with well creek is that it is only a summit when the tide is out at Salters Lode...

So its the lowest summit when the tide is out.

On 18/03/2019 at 20:38, Scholar Gypsy said:

I went to a talk on the Glastonbury Canal last night, long out of use so it doesn't really count, but I was surprised to find that boats locked down from sea level at Highbridge, anything up to fifteen feet, and then about nine miles inland went up a lock lifting 3 feet to the summit, which was around 12 feet below high tide level 

The tidal range at the entrance is huge so although the tide gets below the canal level (actually the straightened River Brue) the channel dries out  

On 18/03/2019 at 20:38, Scholar Gypsy said:

Is the Kyme Eau lower than Cowbridge?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is the Kyme Eau lower than Cowbridge?

Probably not - I think Cowbridge lifts about 3 feet, but the lower end is below Anton's Gowt Lock, which falls from the Witham, whereas Lower Kyme rises from the level above Anton's Gowt. I've no idea what the fall of Anton's Gowt is, but I suspect the combination of that fall and the lift of Cowbridge makes the level above Cowbridge lower than the level above Lower Kyme.

That would make more sense with a diagram I think!

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Probably not - I think Cowbridge lifts about 3 feet, but the lower end is below Anton's Gowt Lock, which falls from the Witham, whereas Lower Kyme rises from the level above Anton's Gowt. I've no idea what the fall of Anton's Gowt is, but I suspect the combination of that fall and the lift of Cowbridge makes the level above Cowbridge lower than the level above Lower Kyme.

That would make more sense with a diagram I think!

Don't know the actual fall but it is quite a climb down the ladder to get back on the boat after going through!