Help with boat engine outboard please

Bjg28

Featured Posts

Hi,

I had a question I was hoping for as much info as possible because I can't find anything on Google.

I appreciate the time taken to read this and help given also so pre thank you.

So I saw a boat however the engine is outboard motor yamaha hp7,

I can't find this engine on Google at this size so perhaps I need a model number.

The boat is a 22ft grp narrowboat 1978 wilderness beaver.

The issue is the engine won't start, apparently it was fixed but then broke down after 15 minutes a few years back.

I had looked and seen some engines outboard that seem affordable, 

This would be a project to work on but I don't know a thing about how the engine works,

Is it a case of buy a engine take old one off fit new one, and that's job done?

Or does it have to be a certain type to for to the tiller?

Would the new engine have everything like gearbox on it or would it have to attach to ones fitted for first engine?

Asmuch and detailed info as possible please for would be amazing, 

I can be quite practical for example I bought a Honda city express moped when I was 16 with a failed engine and learned to replace that.

This is just totally new and I don't want to buy a engine too powerful or run into issues.

Once again thank you kindly for helping me and reading this post 

The engines are totally self-contained (Engine, gear box, propeller and steering) it may have the fuel tank built in or it may be connected to an 'external' tank by a rubber hose.

You can 'lift the old one off' and fit  new one in its place.

I'd suggest a 10hp four-stroke of any manufacturer.

The ONLY think to check is the 'leg length' (they come in 'short' and 'long')

Measure the transom height to determine what length you need - you could measure the engine already in use, BUT who knows if it is the correct one ?

Transom Leg length.jpg

If it broke down afew years ago any petrol in it will be no good.

Also the carburettor will probably be gummed up.

removing all remaining fuel  and  a carburettor clean up may be a good start.

if you google Yamaha outboard you will find loads of links to people with experience of the matters you raise.   This forum mainly comprises folk with inboard diesels and little experience of outboards.  PBO forum is the best place to learn about outboards and the various issues.

As Alan says, outboards are basically lift off and lift the new one on but you may have to transfer any throttle cable, gear cable, and steering cable connection devices from the old to new engine or possibly buy new if the new engine is very different to the old one. I expect the fuel tank and hose will be extra so if using the old ones then as Martyn says ensure all the old petrol is out of both and make sure they are clean internally.

Check the  oil in the gearbox (the swelling just in front of the prop, the manual will show you how but often there is a level plug a little way up the leg and a filling/draining plug close to the bottom of the bulge. We used a special syringe thing to force oil into the lower hole until it came out of the top one and then screw the plug in without losing too much oil.

If you get your engine running or get another please  check its charging capabilities. Outboards, especially older ones, do not have battery charging facilities capable of much more then keepoing a start battery charged so you may need to be frugal with domestic electricity use.