12V heating circulation pump.

Steve42

Featured Posts

Looking at that spec, 35 decibels, one man's noise is another mans quiet. How long will the pump run for? Even a small unit such as this will soon evacuate the back boiler of a squirrel and I found you need to thermostatically control the pump to only circulate hot water. This means it only runs for 1-2 mins at a time with an interval of about 4 -5 mins.

6 hours ago, Steve42 said:

I'm fitting out  a narrowboat that will have a squirrel with a back boiler, the rads will be a combination of thermosyphon and pumped.

The design of the system is crucial if you do this.  I added a pumped spur off my thermosyphon to feed the calorifier, but rarely use it.  The calorifier and stove positions meant I could not have the whole thing as a thermosyphon, but the stove and radiators work very well and I run a 240V central heating pump if I need to top up the heat in the tank.  Our cruising style means we usually have loads of hot water anyway, and we also have a Morco boiler if we need more.

On 12/03/2019 at 19:02, Steve42 said:

Hi,

I'm fitting out  a narrowboat that will have a squirrel with a back boiler, the rads will be a combination of thermosyphon and pumped. On my last boat the pumps

made was very loud, has anyone got any suggestions for a quite one?

I use one of these

https://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk

No problem using it on 12-16v. A little pricey but a quality pump, obviously you just need the basic on/off version.

Alternativly get a VW auxiliary circulation pump they are designed to work with main engine water pump hence good for thermosyphon systems. The ones that are used with Thermo Top V.

Edited by Cas446

On 12/03/2019 at 23:45, stegra said:

I have one of these, it's fair noisy at full 12V chat. It was also drawing about as much power as the 240V Grunfos it replaced when at 12V.

However I fitted a £3 PWM speed controller thingy, and with it turned down to barely spinning its quiet and pumping enough to keep the squirrel's back boiler...not boiling

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

That’s a lovely looking unit. How quiet is it?

You can hear it, I would not say it is silent. Although I also have two installed under the bath at home for a shower and they are quieter. It's a lot to do with the installation.

19 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

You can hear it, I would not say it is silent. Although I also have two installed under the bath at home for a shower and they are quieter. It's a lot to do with the installation.

Thanks. I’m considering one for our airing cupboard at home. Cold is mains but hot is only the head from the tank in the loft. I also have reasonably good access to the 22mm pipe out of the tank (and after the vent). The central heating pump is in the same place and that’s so quiet as to not matter, hence my question. 

57 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Thanks. I’m considering one for our airing cupboard at home. Cold is mains but hot is only the head from the tank in the loft. I also have reasonably good access to the 22mm pipe out of the tank (and after the vent). The central heating pump is in the same place and that’s so quiet as to not matter, hence my question. 

I installed one in this configuration for my dad. Adding a pressure reducer to the mains cold helped maintain hot water for longer.  With full mains pressure on the cold the thermo mixer was not able to maintain the shower temp when the hot water started to cool with use.   I suspect this had a lot to do with this particular mixer, but worth considering if you have problems.

23 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

I installed one in this configuration for my dad. Adding a pressure reducer to the mains cold helped maintain hot water for longer.  With full mains pressure on the cold the thermo mixer was not able to maintain the shower temp when the hot water started to cool with use.   I suspect this had a lot to do with this particular mixer, but worth considering if you have problems.

Thanks for the info. It’s something I’ll consider if/when I fit it. :)