Instrumentation -

Noggin

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Noggin said:

The LCD giving the engine hours on my Isuzu rev counter (which works fine) is blank - every so often it comes back briefly - is this a known problem?

Very very well known.

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Try disconnecting the rev counter, and putting it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard for a week or so.

If that fails, a search of CWDF will find a solution.

Which will no doubt read “Put it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard for a week or so” :D

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Which will no doubt read “Put it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard for a week or so” :D

That is the simplest solution. I dangle mine on a bit of string over the top of the stove overnight. OK for at least a couple of months afterwards.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Best thing for mobile phones dropped in the cut is do not power on, give it a fresh water wash, dry it and then a few days in airtight container of rice.  If it hasn't been in salt or mucky water, say it's only been clean water in an unused throne,  forgo the fresh water wash. Chances are 50:50, but it's better than nowt. Not the same thing here, of course, but if the cause is condensation without corrosion it may work.

Edited by Sea Dog
Extra words

Must be the weather. Today the Izusu engine hours display came on, which it had never done in my ownership and the needle was stuck as far as it could go! After turning it off for a few minutes it was back to normal with no display and the needle in roughly the right place. There must be fix for this.

Had the same thing on my Vetus hour meter. Tacho still works fine, but no hours.  In the end I bought a Durite hour meter which wasn't a lot of money.  Ran it continuously until the hours displayed agreed with what the Vetus one should have been saying.  It is mounted just inside the boat so stays dry and still works fine five or six years later.