Height on trailer

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Just a quick query, and a general question that I'm sure will get either one or two general answers or a host of variations!

How high is a typical trailable cruiser when on it's trailer? I'm thinking  a wilderness or a Viking 23? The reason I ask is a developer is proposing an arch over the access to a proposed slipway, and my suspicion is the proposed arch ain't high enough...

Anyone any idea? I know it will be well over my head height, but that's not saying much! 

I had a Wilderness and it had a good 6 foot headroom inside so probably 6' 6" to 6' 10" overall and it sat over half way up a 10" wheel and tyre so that is another 7 to 8" so it must be around 8' and that was with nothing on the roof at all like an aeril of chimney. @haggis could tell you what a Sea Otter is

I used to be a Principal Technical Officer (best grade on BR) working in road transport, based on my distant work here goes:

Grebe was a Sea Otter.  Must be similar in height to a Wilderness or Viking.

We measured the air draught at 5ft 7ins and the water draught at 1ft 6ins, so 7ft 1in of boat. Add 2ft 6ins for a big trailer and you're up to 9ft 7ins, say 3 metres.  You then need to ad some wriggle room plus if ther is a slope involved a further allowance for the tapering.

It is a long time since we had our Sea Otter on her trailer but I think it might be a bit more than 9 ft 7 ins. When I am standing on the ground when the boat is on the trailer, my head is well below gunwale level and I am 5 ft 3 ins tall. Add how much boat is above my head and I think it would come to a bit more than 4 ft 4 ins. I know this is not very technical but I would put the total height at over 10 feet. 

haggis

18 minutes ago, rasputin said:

2 ft 6 ins is high for the bed of a trailer.

My wilderness will be under 8ft on the trailer

Here is a trailer bed on 13" wheels 

IMAGE0004small.jpg

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Here is a trailer bed on 13" wheels 

IMAGE0004small.jpg

This is Diana standing on the tow bar 

DSCF2248small.jpg

It depends on the type of trailer - many 'boat moving companies' use Roller -Coater type trailers that will work with a variety of hulls but they do sit very high.

It had two 'similar sized boats' and you can see one on a 'conventional trailer' and one on a 'roller-coaster' type trailer.

The boat on the right has a slightly deeper hull but not much.

I think there are too many variables and it is a piece-of-string question.

Sea Horse 1001.jpg

Perhaps the boat could be tipped off just before the bar onto a bundle of broomsticks and rolled upon these down, ''ancient Egyptian method'' to the water, retrieve broomsticks afterwards as they float.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

and my suspicion is the proposed arch ain't high enough...

While you are at it, check the width, especially if there are any comers either side of the bridge 'ole. I've spent long periods manoeuvring when driving the tow vehicle straight through the hole results in the trailer catching (or vice versa)

Thanks folks - very helpful - "three metres" was the sort of figure I had in mind 

the slipway will give access to a canal only suitable for narrow beam cruisers or narrow boats - as in draught and air draught limitations as well as beam - so the boats won't be that big

28 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Thanks folks - very helpful - "three metres" was the sort of figure I had in mind 

the slipway will give access to a canal only suitable for narrow beam cruisers or narrow boats - as in draught and air draught limitations as well as beam - so the boats won't be that big

As an ex trail boater you will be aware of the space required to maneuver a car and boat, but remember the wheels are on the outside of the hull, so could be getting on for 8 foot

14 hours ago, bizzard said:

Perhaps the boat could be tipped off just before the bar onto a bundle of broomsticks and rolled upon these down, ''ancient Egyptian method'' to the water, retrieve broomsticks afterwards as they float.

please advise method for retrieval of said vessel.   :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Many trailerable boats are 'winched on dry'

Its not a practice I'd recommend due the excessive loads on the winching eye, but it is very common on both the East and South Coasts.

Run the boat up the beach - reverse trailer down to 'in front of the boat' - attach winch wire - winch boat onto trailer.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Quite tall.

The guy at the back is about 5'10"

Very Tall :

Joint Venture 1001.jpg

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Easy. just the reverse of launching it.  Tow vehicle pulling it up on a long rope while someone keeps placing the broom handles under the boat. Bur!! Unless there's a crane handy the broomstick roller transport method might have to be adopted all the way home. But at least it got launched.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I was a kid we use to run the boats up the beach on rollers, the biggest problem the chap taking the one from the back and running round the front couldn't keep up and if you didnt watch it the boat would be in the sand.

Ancient Egyptians Phaerohs transported massive stone blocks on tree trunk rollers from boats on the Nile to build the Pyramids.

Or of course a breakback trailor and wench.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ancient Egyptians Phaerohs transported massive stone blocks on tree trunk rollers from boats on the Nile to build the Pyramids.

Or of course a breakback trailor and wench.

You need a good wench at the end of the day to rub your aching back 

I thought that was good for me :detective::detective:

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

The reason I ask is a developer is proposing an arch over the access to a proposed slipway, 

Do you mean an actual curved arch? Or a flat topped opening? The geometrical considerations of an arch make the whole thing thig more complicated.

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Do you mean an actual curved arch? Or a flat topped opening? The geometrical considerations of an arch make the whole thing thig more complicated.

It's on the plan as a false arch - i.e it's actually a flat topped opening with a curve fascia - resolving tat would be easy, but of the top of the box is too low then it's not so easy...