Trent and Soar

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

I'm currently on the Soar, which is in flood according to the coloured boards - Travelled about 12 miles yesterday on it, with no issues, but what will the trent be like?  (i'll be heading west, which is upstream?) is it best to wait it out, and if so, how long do we reckon that will take for levels to drop?

Trents shut at Cranfleet at the moment..More rain to come later in week.

Notice Alert

Upper Trent
Starts At: Cranfleet Flood Gates
Ends At: Cranfleet Flood Gates

Sunday 10 March 2019 17:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Cranfleet Flood Gates have been closed due to the Upper Trent being in flood. Boaters are advised not to travel along this section of the Trent until further notice.

We apologise for any inconvenience which may be caused.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14752/cranfleet-flood-gates

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Edited by PaulJ

9 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

I'm currently on the Soar, which is in flood according to the coloured boards - Travelled about 12 miles yesterday on it, with no issues, but what will the trent be like?  (i'll be heading west, which is upstream?) is it best to wait it out, and if so, how long do we reckon that will take for levels to drop?

Ita a see saw. If by west you mean coming out next to the power station and throwing a left against the flow then it will depend on your engine/boat capabilities. You will go from water up yer backside pushing you along on the soar to water on the nose trying to send you the wrong way on entering the trent. Providing you can stem or better still push the trent then you could go across and into the erewash and hole up ( very interesting entering on a good flow ) but that will depend on trent height or you will not get under trent lock bridge. There are floating pontoons outside the lock if not but if full its a case of pushing a mile or so up to sawley and up into the cut if you can!! If water is rising it could be fun. I am not in the location at present but this time last year I was stuck both on the erewash and sawley cut for bloomin ages!! How far up the red boards is it? Have you looked on ea website? anyone in the area able to advise current state of the trent?

Just adding that if its only just in the red you will probably be fine but it depends on your experience, your take on risk, your take on wether your insurance will cover you knowingly on reds, etc etc,  At that local just in reds for me is a doddle but for others?? It also depends wether rising or falling on the reds??

Ive just checked river levels on line. The soar is no problem neither is the erewash adding much at all. The trent at shardlow is just into minor flooding and at that level I often use the trent and its not rising fast it is near as damn it leveled out over the last few hours. Your call but personaly i would be totaly unconcerned at present.

Yesterday the flood gatescat Redhill were closed.

Notice Details

From Date:
10th March 2019 at 10:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Water resources
Description:

The River Soar has gone into flood and the red flood lights have now been activated. (See note below for exception)

Boaters are advised not to travel along this section until further notice.

Special Note: It has been reported that the red traffic light when travelling from the River Trent onto the River Soar at Redhill is broken. Please contact the Canal & River Trust to check flood conditions if in doubt.

48 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

If you are still on the Soar , last safe place  after Zouch cut is above Kegworth Deep....any lock landing or mooring below there can and does go under.  Trent looked quite swollen when I came across it yesterday, I think the flow is probably more of an issue than the height....The Derwent is putting quite a lot into it.

A lot more rain forecast tomorrow and then again on Thursday.

Edited by matty40s

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you are still on the Soar , last safe place  after Zouch cut is above Kegworth Deep....any lock landing or mooring below there can and does go under.  Trent looked quite swollen when I came across it yesterday, I think the flow is probably more of an issue than the height....The Derwent is putting quite a lot into it.

A lot more rain forecast tomorrow and then again on Thursday.

Ahh yes the beloved Derwent!!  Can make things interesting. Its not raining down here at all so the cherwell ( stream ) is only just on the very bottom of the yellows and totaly benign. Not quite the Derwent though!! If I were the op and had any concerns myself the best thing is to find a pub and a safe mooring, probably not in that order!!

8 minutes ago, nickd said:

Latest recorded level 1.78m at 4:30pm Monday 11 March 2019.
When the water level reaches 1.70m here, minor flooding is possible in this area

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2100?direction=u

That is not good, The red line there is not the same level as the red boards.....that is land, roads and property flooding level. 

I would not take my boat on the Trent.....especially the turn off the Soar at those levels. I did once come down from Derwent mouth at those levels and it was scary, only just made the lock cut.

49 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That is not good, The red line there is not the same level as the red boards.....that is land, roads and property flooding level. 

I would not take my boat on the Trent.....especially the turn off the Soar at those levels. I did once come down from Derwent mouth at those levels and it was scary, only just made the lock cut.

It aint that bad at those levels!! The towpath will still be fully in view bottom of Shardlow locking down onto the Trent. Its scary going out there when its completely submerged lol. Still I dont have an antique engine so I suppose with my superb Japanese engineering its not so scary ?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It aint that bad at those levels!! The towpath will still be fully in view bottom of Shardlow locking down onto the Trent. Its scary going out there when its completely submerged lol. Still I dont have an antique engine so I suppose with my superb Japanese engineering its not so scary ?

The Shardlow level meter doesnt show the flow or levels from the Derwent - I was shunted 50 yards to the right when I popped out of the cut.....and I wasn't on the Old Banger either, I had a Jap lawnmower engine under the boards.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

The Shardlow level meter doesnt show the flow or levels from the Derwent - I was shunted 50 yards to the right when I popped out of the cut.....and I wasn't on the Old Banger either, I had a Jap lawnmower engine under the boards.

Yes its an interesting junction. Still it wouldnt do just to stop on the ditches all the time which is why we do it. No rain hardly here at all recently, just goes to show how different areas catch it. That area always gets it this time of year.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Derwent level meter has a new addition which Ive not seen before - predicts the future levels of the next 36 hours.....it looks like they are expecting to dump water from the Derwent reservoir.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2130?direction=u#flood-alert

Ive seen the predictions on the trent before, we used to monitor them daily at the Princess. Those levels are not so bad at present imho but if it does top out as shown that will be interesting. Of course its also true to say that level of water is very often not a true indicator of flow on river!! especialy if sluice gates or similar are taken into account.

Ecky Thump.... ? We're on our way to this area.

We'd best sharpen up! Presently moored (till the storms pass over), at the bottom of Watford Locks.

Think we'll start to 'drag our heals' and hope the floods will be over by the time we reach the rivers.

Feeling a little wobbly at the minute, we were just leaving Braunston Top lock when an alarm started singing. We pulled up on the moorings to investigate, and discovered a hose had slipped off the engine, emptying the antifreeze-water from the tank. With the problem rectified, we set off to go through the tunnel. I'd have had a near heart attack if the problem alarm had started singing in the tunnel!  That was too close for comfort for me :) We didn't have any more antifreeze, so now we've now got our fingers crossed that winter is over, at least till we can find a place that sells antifreeze.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Unless you have a car nearest antifreeze will be harborough i recon. The summit is so isolated ( thank goodness) . Many times had to cycle off the leicester for basic stuff.

wouldnt have it any other way.

Thanks Roland, we'll probably aim for Midland Chandlers at Mercia Marina. We don't have any other transport.

The Trent at Derwent Mouth will currently be about 400mm into the red. My experience is that the bottom of the red is at about 1.30m and Gauge Map shows it at 1.78m https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/121/123

The Soar at Pillings lock is definitely in flood at 1.15m The flow is also high but falling. https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/166/180

We boat regularly on the Soar and Trent - I would be staying put with levels as they are. If in Loughborough do not leave heading north as Zouch flood gates will be shut. If at Barrow on Soar heading north do not leave as getting lined up for the road bridge below the lock is difficult when there is a heavy flow on the river. Remember that at Barrow above the lock that you are still on the river and moor accordingly. A boat sank there last winter because of tight mooring lines.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks Roland, we'll probably aim for Midland Chandlers at Mercia Marina. We don't have any other transport.

You will get anti-freeze in the chandelry at Sileby Mill. They are also good for diesel - even in winter they have a high turnover. Say hello to our boat when you stop!!

• Greenie 1

If you are still at the bottom of the Watford locks,  chandlery at Wilton marina is not far, 1/2 day, or even back to Braunston, plenty of chandleries there.

As roland says, there's not much on the summit.  Beer and food at Crick, little else till Foxton locks.

Bod