Wood burner rope problem

Wakes

Featured Posts

I am trying to change the rope seal on my old Aarow wood burner but am having problems as the groove is not continuous along the 4 door sides. The rope goes into several grooves and the rest sits flush with the door. It had to go into a groove, up along and down into the next groove! It is quite ridiculous. I used 12mm rope and glued the rope as best I could but the door would not shut so I had to cut it into pieces and just push it into the grooves which obviously left parts which had no rope seal at all. This was the only way to get the door shut however there are now several gaps that are not air tight. I think the only way to make it air right is to not use the grooves at all but to run one continuous length of rope on the surface which would then seal it. However am now worried that it will not stick as it won’t have a groove to hold it securely in place. Any help appreciated! 

17 minutes ago, Wakes said:

I am trying to change the rope seal on my old Aarow wood burner but am having problems as the groove is not continuous along the 4 door sides. The rope goes into several grooves and the rest sits flush with the door. It had to go into a groove, up along and down into the next groove! It is quite ridiculous. I used 12mm rope and glued the rope as best I could but the door would not shut so I had to cut it into pieces and just push it into the grooves which obviously left parts which had no rope seal at all. This was the only way to get the door shut however there are now several gaps that are not air tight. I think the only way to make it air right is to not use the grooves at all but to run one continuous length of rope on the surface which would then seal it. However am now worried that it will not stick as it won’t have a groove to hold it securely in place. Any help appreciated! 

12 mm rope seems a bit thick.  Try a short length on the door hinge side first to see of the door shuts to without force. If not reduce to 10 or 8mm rope until the door just begins to squash the robe when the door is almost but not quite closed.

Thanks for replies, what I don’t get is why there isn’t a continuous groove along all 4 sides? Even when the 12mm rope (which is quite thick) goes in the groove it hardly sticks out at all in order to cushion the door shut and give an air tight seal. I reckon the rope is meant to just butt up to the sides 

Quote from above link rope kit:

• Carefully apply the rope to the cast edge gently pressing the rope as you go until you have a complete loop around the inner cast.

Nothing said about any groove, only an inner cast edge? 

The old rope was in the grooves only but there was obviously bare spots as the grooves are not one continuous groove. I think the last owner probably installed the rope incorrectly. 

Hi just done my fire, as previously said 12 is a bit thick, for the door shut without a groove i used the thin stuff for the glass, works a treat. Dont forget use a smoke pellet to check for any leaks all round fire, get them from most tool /hardware shops. Hope this helps. ?