Best Chips ever

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

Just now, IanD said:

Like I said, not very veggie-friendly. OTOH lard and dripping are essentially "free" waste products from the meat industry, so their direct environmental impact is far smaller than peanut oil ?

I'm just sore. Being a veggie the chippie told me after numerous visits he cooked his chips in beef dripping. Should have asked.  ;)

26 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think to a degree it depends on where you grew up, as a kid my local Chinese chippy made the best chips ever, in reality they were mushy and pale and tended to become an amorphous mass and I have had much better chips elsewhere. 

BUT sat at my dad's with a plate full of those mushy chips and curry sauce,  at that moment they are the best chips in the world 

When I was a kid the fish and chips were rotten down here, horribly greasy and soggy wrapped in newspaper made me sick, but the quality now and has been for many years pretty good. Soggy chips usually means that the oil or fat is not hot enough which often means a mean chippy, mean with his gas and electric, probably buys poor quality fish and spuds from Iceland with frost eyes in em.   I try to avoid isolated chippys that have no nearby competition and use the ones I know that do.

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I'm just sore. Being a veggie the chippie told me after numerous visits he cooked his chips in beef dripping. Should have asked.  ;)

You couldn't tell from how delicious they were? BTW, where was this in case I want to try it?

[of course chippies should tell people what they fry in, in case they have any objection to dripping/lard -- or peanut oil...]

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

You need to be careful, if the chippy has just come in out of the cold there might be drippings off his nose dripping into the fryer too. Hang about a bit and observe the noses before ordering.

34 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Peanut oil actually rather than rendered down animals.

Great for peanut allergy sufferers!

26 minutes ago, IanD said:

You couldn't tell from how delicious they were? BTW, where was this in case I want to try it?

[of course chippies should tell people what they fry in, in case they have any objection to dripping/lard -- or peanut oil...]

To be honest we have never heard of a chippy frying in peanut oil and would never think to ask. 

I have a peanut allergy. So will be asking kn future. However as we are in the north when we do go to the chippy we find a proper one with lard where possible.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The absolute best chips and fish ever are from the shack in Southwold Harbour. 

Agree they are excellent chips, if you don't mind the queue. The Dunwich beach chip shop is also excellent but the nearly best is the one in Aldeburgh high Street. 

The best was the pub in our village until they moved back to Ireland, cooked in goose fat. 

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Great for peanut allergy sufferers!

To be honest we have never heard of a chippy frying in peanut oil and would never think to ask. 

I have a peanut allergy. So will be asking kn future. However as we are in the north when we do go to the chippy we find a proper one with lard where possible.

If you were an allergy sufferer then you would have looked up the advice re peanut oil. Surely?

The highly refined oil  frying oil Asiui is not causing the allergy.

Edited by mark99

6 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Grandma Pollards in Walsden, on the Rochdale Canal, does Fish and Chips in Lard. 

Its gone!, they have hung up their chip pans and retired...and before I got a chance to test their chips. Looks like another family tradition has come to an end, but looking at their website they also have a significant property empire to support retirement.

Modern thrice cooked pretentious southern chips on the Grain Barge in Bristol harbour were my best ever, but it was a sunny afternoon after a long walk so anything would have tasted good. Have not been back in case they were not as good next time.

...............Dave 

So many great chippies, mostly all down to taste. Two I would mention are 1)  Congleton, Hightown Chippy, close to the canal at bridge 74 and 2) Chippy opposite Kings Lock, Middlewich.

A cracking chippy is the White Horse at Norton, about a mile from Whilton bottom lock. Not only do they do very good F&C plus a wide range of other things and some Chinese food, you can also enjoy a pint of real ale with your meal if eating in beside a roaring stove in the adjoining Inn.

20 hours ago, jonathanA said:

For a close to canal chippy bizzie lizzies in skipton is hard to beat. Moor up nearby and get them back to the boat superb!    

or be posh and eat in...

There's two to choose from. Lovely fish and chips.

On 10/03/2019 at 17:49, bizzard said:
On 10/03/2019 at 17:49, bizzard said:

Rubbish, Excellent fish;n; chips down here, Gt Yarmouth especially is the best I've ever tasted.

Presumably from the chip stalls (they sold nothing else, just chips, so they ought to have been good at it!) at the town centre end of the market. When I was a nipper (1960s) we used to regularly get "6 o' chips" (sixpence in old money) from the market. As an adult I would go home to GY to visit family once a year and would always have to go to the market at least once just for the chips. Since taking up boating 4 years ago I haven't been back so I don't know what they are like now. My dad always used to swear by one stall in particular but I can't remember which. Possibly Nicholsons or Blakes, they're the only names I can remember now. 

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Presumably from the chip stalls (they sold nothing else, just chips, so they ought to have been good at it!) at the town centre end of the market. When I was a nipper (1960s) we used to regularly get "6 o' chips" (sixpence in old money) from the market. As an adult I would go home to GY to visit family once a year and would always have to go to the market at least once just for the chips. Since taking up boating 4 years ago I haven't been back so I don't know what they are like now. My dad always used to swear by one stall in particular but I can't remember which. Possibly Nicholsons or Blakes, they're the only names I can remember now. 

We might be stopping in Great Yarmouth when we head to the Broads later this year. Will have to hunt these chippy stalls down.

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We might be stopping in Great Yarmouth when we head to the Broads later this year. Will have to hunt these chippy stalls down.

Unless things have changed market days are Wednesday and Saturday so it's worth going those days if possible. However, the end of the market where the chip stalls are is (was) open every day of the week except Sunday.

I think the chips in my local chippy are pretty good but only if they are fresh out of the fryer and left open. Rested chips or, especially, wrapped chips always seem soggy to me. On GY market they are sold almost as soon as they come out of the fryer and are unwrapped so always piping hot and lovely and crispy.

Edited by Lily Rose
Speeling

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I remember those prices. The chippy we used in the sixties was 1/6 for fish and chips and plenty of em. Thats seven and a half pence to those of you that dont understand proper money.

On 10/03/2019 at 22:54, jonathanA said:

For a close to canal chippy bizzie lizzies in skipton is hard to beat. Moor up nearby and get them back to the boat superb!    

or be posh and eat in...

Last few times last year bizzie lizzies was rubbish, have to admit previous years they were very nice  , best chippy I have been to has to be the wooden hut in DIGGLE