Best Chips ever

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

On 10/03/2019 at 17:31, mrsmelly said:

There is a line across the country to include Lancashire and Yorkshire were exellent fish and chips can be found in many locations. The south of England below South Yorkshire etc is devoid of any decent chip oles, the black country museum is way too far south for good fish and chips.

On my very rare visits that far north I'm not sure I ever had fish and chips, but probably did the odd once or twice. So I can't really make a comparison, but growing up in Anerley, London SE20 (and later) I regularly used the Marlow Fish Bar and they were consistently good. Looking them up online, I see they're still highly regarded. It's even quite near a canal, but the section of the Croydon Canal in Betts Park hasn't been connected to the system since 1836.

5 hours ago, luggsy said:

Last few times last year bizzie lizzies was rubbish, have to admit previous years they were very nice

We found this too - got to Skipton and went straight to Bizzie Lizzies based on prior experience, and were disappointed.  The only thing that was above average was the price, but the quality was not a patch on previous years.

The best one by far we have tried in the last few years is the van parked in the carpark behind The Dusty Miller pub in Mytholmroyd.  The people running the van have a longterm lease on a couple of spots in the carpark, and the van never moves.  Lots of people drive in from Hebden Bridge and Todmorden to get fish and chips from there.

The best ones we have ever had were from Anstruther Fish Bar right on the harbour at Anstruther.  They helpfully tell you which of the boats in the harbour caught the fish they are currently cooking.  You could probably get there by canal boat but I wouldn't recommend trying to! 

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We might be stopping in Great Yarmouth when we head to the Broads later this year. Will have to hunt these chippy stalls down.

Hunt down Broadland Fish & Chips at Stalham.

Definitely the best F&C's I've had...so far.

There is a line across the country to include Lancashire and Yorkshire were exellent fish and chips can be found in many locations. The south of England below South Yorkshire etc is devoid of any decent chip oles, the black country museum is way too far south for good fish and chips.

I would have agreed with you once but some of the chippies in Norfolk/Suffolk are just as good...maybe even better.

That said, there isn't much else to compete, down South,  that I've found so far.

When I moved south from Sheffield in the mid 60s I was very disappointed with the fish and chips along with poor beer, but Smithsons or was it Southeys? in Pokesdown, Bournemouth offered first class uncompromised service and fish and chips, I haven't been there for years now but they were as good as anything up north. 

Back in the mid 90s I nipped across the road to them from work to get 5 lots of fish & chips for everyone. The woman serving me wrapped my order then realised there would be a 5 minute delay for the last lot of chips to be cooked she apologised and chucked my order in the bin! I would have been happy to with those I said, she answered "We only serve freshly cooked fish and chips" - Couldn't you have sold them at a reduced price? - "No" - why? - "We only serve freshly cooked fish and chips" No answer to that. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

According to James Martin the best fish and chips in the country are in Whitby and served in the Whitby Gazette. And he reckons the best fish and chips in Whitby come from Trenchers. 

On 15/03/2019 at 20:57, carlt said:

I would have agreed with you once but some of the chippies in Norfolk/Suffolk are just as good...maybe even better.

That said, there isn't much else to compete, down South,  that I've found so far.

Good ones in Aldeburgh for sure - so long as you don’t mind the half hour queue of weekend hipsters?

Pretty much as good in our Suffolk village plus no hipsters and no queues. 

Not having that - you've obviously never had chips from the chippy by the tube station in Camden Town, London. Very big paper cone full, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outer - obviously doubled cooked. Just the thing to revive the weary reveller. Not expensive either. Mind you, I'm going back a few years...

If it's a fish and chips you'll be wanting - you can do a lot worse than Daves Fish Bar in Sheringham, Norfolk.

37 minutes ago, starman said:

Good ones in Aldeburgh for sure - so long as you don’t mind the half hour queue of weekend hipsters?

Pretty much as good in our Suffolk village plus no hipsters and no queues. 

Goddam hipsters... 

Coming over here, stealing our chips.