Best Chips ever

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

Admiral Nelson Braunston has curly chips on  which are yummie best chips ever with cheesy garlic bread and a pint of Tiger Saturday lunch snack bliss  .Just need to get Pete & Debbie to get curry sauce on the menu

• Horror 1

Many years ago we were hireboating on the L&L, two boatloads of us. We stopped off at Saltaire and had a look round and visited the Mill to see the Hockneys. We had previously decided on which restaurant we would visit in the evening but on walking back to the boats around teatime we came across a chipshop which smelled absolutely wonderful. A mountain of chips and fish were purchased and we gorged back on board, all thoughts of restaurant abandoned. They were the best chips ever. Cooked in lard.

Some years ago on the L and L stopped at Hole in Wall and the landlady heard me muttering about being feed up with reconstituted chips and took me into the kitchen to see her hand cut chips “ from real potatoes “ . One of the best pie and chips ever.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

My vote goes to The Black Country Living Museum, chips cooked in beef dripping. Hmmmmm :)

The last time I had chips in the BCLM there weren't very nice, I think they were so busy they were trying to get them out too quickly and they were under cooked which was disappointing after waiting a long time.

Many, many, years ago I worked as casual labour on a music festival at, I think, Bardney in Lincolnshire, There was a coal fired chip shop there, chips cooked in rendered pig, really very nice, village pub had one of those funny dartboards without the treble ring (probably a leftover from some sort of Viking invasion)  I have absolutely no idea what bands were on, memory wiped out by herbal tobacco.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

The chip shop in Braunston village (Braunston Fryer?) cook their fish and chips in beef dripping.

I've not been for a year or so, but last time we called in they were excellent.

Another vote for the Braunston chippie - still cooked in dripping and each order cooked fresh for the customer. 

Plus a genuine home made and v tasty proper Indian curry on Tuesday nights (best to order as they sell out). 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The last time I had chips in the BCLM there weren't very nice, I think they were so busy they were trying to get them out too quickly and they were under cooked which was disappointing after waiting a long time.

I saw your post and would have put a fiver on you mentioning Compton before I read it.

I have had under cooked chips from BCLM too and the queuing can be a bit much. Even on a good day they may not be better than I used to get from Greystones Fish Bar just off the Ecclesall Road in Sheffield c1991/92. Not easily accessible from the canal though. The time travel might prove to be difficult too.

JP

There is a line across the country to include Lancashire and Yorkshire were exellent fish and chips can be found in many locations. The south of England below South Yorkshire etc is devoid of any decent chip oles, the black country museum is way too far south for good fish and chips.

Edited by mrsmelly

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a line across the country to include Lancashire and Yorkshire were exellent fish and chips can be found in many locations. The south of England below South Yorkshire etc is devoid of any decent chip oles, the black country museum is way too far south for good fish and chips.

Rubbish, Excellent fish;n; chips down here, Gt Yarmouth especially is the best I've ever tasted. London area generally excellent. The midlands were the worst I ever tasted, a band across there. Macclesfield was awful, horrid little soggy chips and a hollow tomb of soogy batter with a bit of ancient dried up bit of fish inside.   Solihull, the board just said ''Fish and chips'' I asked the girl what fish it was, she didn't know, Its just fish she said. They seem more interested in unloading bl---y mushy peas and gravy on you rather than what fish they had.

Edited by bizzard

33 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Rubbish, Excellent fish;n; chips down here, Gt Yarmouth especially is the best I've ever tasted. London area generally excellent. The midlands were the worst I ever tasted, a band across there. Macclesfield was awful, horrid little soggy chips and a hollow tomb of soogy batter with a bit of ancient dried up bit of fish inside.   Solihull, the board just said ''Fish and chips'' I asked the girl what fish it was, she didn't know, Its just fish she said. They seem more interested in unloading bl---y mushy peas and gravy on you rather than what fish they had.

I think to a degree it depends on where you grew up, as a kid my local Chinese chippy made the best chips ever, in reality they were mushy and pale and tended to become an amorphous mass and I have had much better chips elsewhere. 

BUT sat at my dad's with a plate full of those mushy chips and curry sauce,  at that moment they are the best chips in the world 

1 hour ago, Big Bob W said:

The chip shop in Braunston village (Braunston Fryer?) cook their fish and chips in beef dripping.

I've not been for a year or so, but last time we called in they were excellent.

Still good a couple of months ago. A good chippie. The chippie in Alrewash is rather moorish. Making me hungry now. We have pork in the oven at present. That will be lovely also.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I saw your post and would have put a fiver on you mentioning Compton before I read it.

I was going to but decided to refrain as that discussion has been had before on here.

Beef dripping, not lard, is what many of the best fish shops "oop North" still cook in. It does give a distinctive flavour which some people don't like, and obviously isn't very veggie-friendly.

"Dahn Sarf" they boast of cooking in things like sunflower oil. Uurgh... ?

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Beef dripping, not lard, is what many of the best fish shops "oop North" still cook in. It does give a distinctive flavour which some people don't like, and obviously isn't very veggie-friendly.

"Dahn Sarf" they boast of cooking in things like sunflower oil. Uurgh... ?

Peanut oil actually rather than rendered down animals.

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Peanut oil actually rather than rendered down animals.

Like I said, not very veggie-friendly. OTOH lard and dripping are essentially "free" waste products from the meat industry, so their direct environmental impact is far smaller than peanut oil ?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

My vote goes to  "The Friary" Whaley Bridge,at the end of the Peak Forest Canal.

Excellent pub,"The Goyt" close by too

Planning on visiting both when we do the Cheshire Ring later this year ?

• Greenie 1