How to attach PVC cladding to the bare hull?

Featured Posts

I'm doing a bit of conversion work, and putting hollow PVC cladding on the bare GRP hull, but what's the easiest way to attach the PVC to the hull? Bearing in mind that the hull is a but bump and uneven, and curves slightly as it heads toward the bow.

IMG_20190309_122001.jpg

IMG_20190309_153622.jpg

I used hollow pvc planking in our bathroom which It is fixed onto wood. I used neutral cure silicone to fix it in place (the instructions said to use this.) So far so good. (should be ok on GRP?)
Mine is the plank type stuff (about 8 inches wide) that sort of tongue and grooves together. If one solid piece perhaps you could wedge it in place with some battens across the boat whilst the adhesive dries? (obviously this stuff dents very easily, so you would need plywood pieces or something to stop temporary battens digging in.)
Is it worth putting some insulation behind whilst in there?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Solvent free silicon/adhesive will hold it in place. The secret screw in the tongue and groove will also help, you shouldn't need to use too many.

I thought that, but I now think this is directly on a single skin GRP hull? Don't think this will be an option.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Solvent free silicon/adhesive will hold it in place. The secret screw in the tongue and groove will also help, you shouldn't need to use too many.

Can't screw into the hull or it'll leak.

21 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I used hollow pvc planking in our bathroom which It is fixed onto wood. I used neutral cure silicone to fix it in place (the instructions said to use this.) So far so good. (should be ok on GRP?)
Mine is the plank type stuff (about 8 inches wide) that sort of tongue and grooves together. If one solid piece perhaps you could wedge it in place with some battens across the boat whilst the adhesive dries? (obviously this stuff dents very easily, so you would need plywood pieces or something to stop temporary battens digging in.)
Is it worth putting some insulation behind whilst in there?

I did think about the battens idea, but wouldn't they just rot over time with the condensation/moisture?

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

I did think about the battens idea, but wouldn't they just rot over time with the condensation/moisture?

Not if you used tannelised wood, plus if you use battens you could put some insulation between them so might help to keep the boat warmer and reduce condensation.

8 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Not if you used tannelised wood, plus if you use battens you could put some insulation between them so might help to keep the boat warmer and reduce condensation.

Also secret fixings possible if battens used. (assuming it is the plank type tongue and groove pvc of course.)

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to use battens glued to the hull.

What kind of glue/adhesive would you guys recommend? I'd like to attach one end of the table to one of the battens.

You may as well go the whole hog and glass the battens in..

Edited by PaulJ

Just now, ronnietucker said:

I've got zero experience with fibreglass.  :wacko:

While since I done any. I would use some of that cloth tape - its easier to work than matting. Few cheap brushes and some resin and sorted.Its really not hard - just I always ended up with more resin on myself than where it was supposed to be ?

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I would use my favourite adhesive/sealant .... Bond-It PU18.  Very easy to work with, sets like medium hard rubber, sticks like **** to timber, GRP, anything with a bit of texture.  Cleans up with white spirit.  Very cheap for what it is.

I'll definitely add that to my list of things.

I was also recommended Sikaflex. Is it any cop?

Try some Stixall from Toolstation. It's cheap and just as good as any Sikaflex I've used. You can buy it online on Amazon too. Comes in white, black, grey and clear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stixall-Extreme-Power-Ultimate-combined/dp/B0012RWI78/ref=asc_df_B0012RWI78/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=208288929966&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17832070440258748971&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046150&hvtargid=pla-422656690556&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

You'd need some white spirit to clean the surfaces first and for cleaning up. If it's possible to slightly abrade the surfaces first to give them a key then that's the thing to do - then wipe over with a cloth dampened with white spirit to remove the dust.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Try some Stixall from Toolstation. It's cheap and just as good as any Sikaflex I've used. You can buy it online on Amazon too. Comes in white, black, grey and clear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stixall-Extreme-Power-Ultimate-combined/dp/B0012RWI78/ref=asc_df_B0012RWI78/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=208288929966&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17832070440258748971&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046150&hvtargid=pla-422656690556&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

You'd need some white spirit to clean the surfaces first and for cleaning up. If it's possible to slightly abrade the surfaces first to give them a key then that's the thing to do - then wipe over with a cloth dampened with white spirit to remove the dust.

Thanks. I'll add that to my list too. I was also looking at the Gorilla Grab adhesive. Might try it as it seems to set pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Try some Stixall from Toolstation.

Excellent stuff. Hopefully not required for this project is its ability to cure underwater!  No silicone either, so it's paintable too.  Four small brackets with this (in clear) on each bonds my solar panels to the roof.

• Greenie 1