Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

 

 

They have come highly recommended so hope not. We have beer and our clothes in the car if all else fails ?

 

A real survivalist would have not bothered with the clothes to make room for more beer and cake.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney adapted well when you took him into your home.

It is a new home but this time he is taking you with him.

 

We adopted a 2 year old Jack / Border cross last October from a home where the owners felt they could no longer look after her properly.

She settled in remarkably quickly. She initially did need lots of fuss and reassurance.

 

Do you think Belle is settled with us? - Rhetorical question.

 

 

20190305_211603.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athy said:

We've moved about four times since we were married. It's always a bittersweet moment - looking forward excitedly to the possibilities of the new home, but leaving behind many memories. I generally give an affectionate pat to the front door of the old house as we leave it. There is no logical reason for doing this.

 

Don't worry, that empty shell will be filled up and alive again in no time.

Some years ago now I was chatting to our new neighbour, he told me how sad he had been leaving his old place, full of emotion he said goodbye to all the different rooms, the garden and even his shed, jumped into his car and drove off. In his own word he said "I never gave it another f#*i*g thought!" ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Sydney adapted well when you took him into your home.

It is a new home but this time he is taking you with him.

 

We adopted a 2 year old Jack / Border cross last October from a home where the owners felt they could no longer look after her properly.

She settled in remarkably quickly. She initially did need lots of fuss and reassurance.

 

Do you think Belle is settled with us? - Rhetorical question.

 

 

20190305_211603.jpg

I would say as a good estimate that yes Belle has settled in and feels relaxed about the whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 And we are in. 

 

The lads have almost unloaded the vans. Then we have a few bits to assemble. 

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray T said:

Sydney adapted well when you took him into your home.

It is a new home but this time he is taking you with him.

 

We adopted a 2 year old Jack / Border cross last October from a home where the owners felt they could no longer look after her properly.

She settled in remarkably quickly. She initially did need lots of fuss and reassurance.

 

Do you think Belle is settled with us? - Rhetorical question.

 

 

20190305_211603.jpg

I think she has settled in just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

 And we are in. 

 

The lads have almost unloaded the vans. Then we have a few bits to assemble. 

Just finished unloading trailer and car, got keys at midday.

Now got to consider the rebuilding that we need to do.

Forgot to say champagne is open and being drunk ;)

Edited by Loddon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have got all of the essentials for tonight assembled. 

 

To be fair we have got  considerable amount of unpacking done. We certainly need a trip to the tip tomorrow to get rid of some packaging. 

 

This house is bigger than it looks on paper as if has swallowed out belongings easily. 

 

Syd seems happy. He has had a good explore and is now set with us watching TV. Unfortunately the garden isn't ready for him yet. The tiny bit of fencing left to do is due to be finished tomorrow (yes on a bank holiday) and the turf on Tuesday. 

 

The neighbours we have met who we share a driveway with are lovely. Which is a good thing of course. 

 

Our other two sets of neighbours across the road who were due to complete today have had set backs and will now complete next Friday. So we will have to wait to meet them. 

 

This house already feels so much more like home than the last one it is untrue. 

  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was eerily quiet in Gateford last night. All we heard was an owl! 

They're popular in the Sheffield area, as I recall. You'd often hear people calling out "Up the Owls!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for not walking on the new turf!

 

Went out for a long walk and we had s dust bowl for a back garden. Came back to grass. Sydney loved it. Not sure this is how to look after brand new grass Syd!

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

He loves it. Its a few weeks before he can use it properly though. 

20190423-155301.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So much for not walking on the new turf!

 

Went out for a long walk and we had s dust bowl for a back garden. Came back to grass. Sydney loved it. Not sure this is how to look after brand new grass Syd!

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

He loves it. Its a few weeks before he can use it properly though. 

20190423-155301.jpg

All the joins lined up, shocking, it should.be In a sorta brick pattern, to reduce shrinkage. :)

Keep that well watered

 

Oh to add, good luck in the new place

Edited by tree monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So much for not walking on the new turf!

 

Went out for a long walk and we had s dust bowl for a back garden. Came back to grass. Sydney loved it. Not sure this is how to look after brand new grass Syd!

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

20190423-155302.jpg

 

He loves it. Its a few weeks before he can use it properly though. 

20190423-155301.jpg

Looks good, but keep it well watered with a sprinkler, otherwise the turf will shrink badly. are you on a water meter?......

Love the walls. you will be able to grow some nice plants up it and the garden will be nicely sheltered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LEO said:

Looks good, but keep it well watered with a sprinkler, otherwise the turf will shrink badly. are you on a water meter?......

Love the walls. you will be able to grow some nice plants up it and the garden will be nicely sheltered.

Doesn’t everything built in the last 25 years or so have a water meter, that’s the case round here at least.  However as it is a new house there most likely will not be a water account setup yet, and if you don’t chase it then you can get a good time of free water, they don’t come for you retrospectively either, our son bought a new house last summer and they have only just started paying for water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have not been to take the meter readings for any of the services yet so we are not paying for any yet. The Joy's of moving over a bank holiday.

 

 

The site manager has been round this morning. He said he will give us a few more days before taking the readings. 

 

The neighbours are not happy. They took theirs as soon as they took the keys! 

 

Perhaps it isn't not what you know but who you know as I have worked with the site manager here before on other sites.

 

The grass is going to be very well watered over the next few days while it isn't on our meter readings. But yes it is on a meter as are all new houses and the gas and electricity are on smart meters. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Doesn’t everything built in the last 25 years or so have a water meter, that’s the case round here at least. 

My house was built in 1990 so approaching 30 years old  and it had a water meter fitted from new .  Therefore water meters are hardly a new thing.

Paying by meter, for a couple,  is likely to be less than paying a fixed rate , even if watering a modest amount of turf should prove necessary.

 

 

 

Some advice on watering new turf here

https://www.rolawn.co.uk/watering-your-turf-and-soil-drainage

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MartynG said:

My house was built in 1990 so approaching 30 years old  and it had a water meter fitted from new .  Therefore water meters are hardly a new thing.

Paying by meter, for a couple,  is likely to be less than paying a fixed rate , even if watering a modest amount of turf should prove necessary.

 

 

 

Some advice on watering new turf here

https://www.rolawn.co.uk/watering-your-turf-and-soil-drainage

 

.

The landscaping company that laid the turf have left us instructions on how to look after it thanks.

 

It is still green this morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

 

It is still green this morning!

Rain forecast today and the rest of the week.

Perfect conditions to establish a lawn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LEO said:

Looks good, but keep it well watered with a sprinkler, otherwise the turf will shrink badly. are you on a water meter?......

Love the walls. you will be able to grow some nice plants up it and the garden will be nicely sheltered.

The wall and the garden were one of the reasons we chose this plot over the others on offer. The plot over the road which is the same house type we could have had is only partially walled but gets more evening sun. We get the sun in ours all morning and until about 5pm but the wall along the entire boundary is more secure for Sydney and far less maintenance for us. It also makes the garden very private. No overlooking at all.

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Rain forecast today and the rest of the week.

Perfect conditions to establish a lawn.

 

Indeed. In many ways we are glad that they didn't put the turf down until yesterday as we have not had to look after it during the last few hot days unlike the neighbours who seem to be fighting a losing battle with theirs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Keep that well watered

 

Especially where Sydney goes for a wee!

 

Despite what others have told us both male and female dogs leave brown 

patches, unless the wee is immediately diluted.

 

Congratulations on your new home. All it needs is a navigable waterway at the end of the garden to make it perfect. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Congratulations on your new home. All it needs is a navigable waterway at the end of the garden to make it perfect. ?

There is a navigable waterway a couple of miles away .:captain:

..........but not the right sort of waterway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Especially where Sydney goes for a wee!

 

Despite what others have told us both male and female dogs leave brown 

patches, unless the wee is immediately diluted.

 

Congratulations on your new home. All it needs is a navigable waterway at the end of the garden to make it perfect. ?

I once seeded a new lawn and my neighbours dog, a labrador bitch, used to love weeing on it and I was very careful to dilute the spot, the result was  gorgeous long lush grass which outshone the rest, if only I could have replicated that evenly over the whole lawn. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 Despite what others have told us both male and female dogs leave brown 

patches, unless the wee is immediately diluted.

No issue if you live in the West Country!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We must have been the only people praying for rain today. Watered the grass at 7am, then again at 1pm. Then it looked like rain as Liam was watering the semi dead plants in the front garden but it never really amounted to anything. So looks like I will be watering the grass again tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There is a navigable waterway a couple of miles away .:captain:

..........but not the right sort of waterway

Looks fine for the dinghy. Loads of locks though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.