Residential Mooring Birmingham

LWL

Featured Posts

Hi,

we are first time boat buyers and are looking for a residential mooring in Birmingham does anyone know of one available or how I can find out. I can't see any advertised on the waterside webpage.

Thankyou

LWL

17 hours ago, RLWP said:

Birmingham is a huge place, whereabouts are you looking?

Richard

We would prefer Hockley Port. We are first timers so are still looking for a boat around 50” and advice would be amazing 

9 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

How big is your boat?

Some moorings coming up at Lady Lane.

We haven’t got it yet but looking at 50” 

1 hour ago, LWL said:

We would prefer Hockley Port. We are first timers so are still looking for a boat around 50” and advice would be amazing 

We haven’t got it yet but looking at 50” 

First of all, you should look for a boat that is around 50’.

A boat at 50” will be rather cramped, though moorings would be cheaper and easier to find. 

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

First of all, you should look for a boat that is around 50’.

A boat at 50” will be rather cramped, though moorings would be cheaper and easier to find. 

But it would be pretty easy to meet the requirements  (you could even keep it in the back of your car) :

"the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere"

There's a boatyard currently auctioning two 24" and one 12" project boats on fleabay, so the advert titles have them. If they photoshopped the pics to make them look twelve times as big as stated then they could at least have made them look a bit tidier.

eta 49'10" residential at Cuckoo Wharf for £1,920.43 seems quite reasonable indeed

Edited by BilgePump

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

There's a boatyard currently auctioning two 24" and one 12" project boats on fleabay, so the advert titles have them. If they photoshopped the pics to make them look twelve times as big as stated then they could at least have made them look a bit tidier.

eta 49'10" residential at Cuckoo Wharf for £1,920.43 seems quite reasonable indeed

That berth seems to have been empty for a while probably due to the length. It will take 58ft without problems. Dont forget Council Tax on top of the mooring fee.

Edited by pearley

I have been looking at boats of 50ft for myself, it seems ideal for the single-hander, but I do see some bigger boats which seem better value, presumably less demand, definitely more supply.

Some 50 footers are well designed, but an awful lot are cramped, even for one person.

This one is nearby, it has a few features I like, and many I don;t like, but it looks as though it has been used as a live-aboard. I am not recommending it, but that's the sort of thing you get for about £34 to £35K.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/rd-fabrications-52-traditional/589848 , in either London or in Birmingham. It comes under my heading "a decent boat at one time, most additions are for a liveaboard, not for a boater" It's pretty gloomy  inside, would benefit from  work on the interior decoration. I would want a proper boat electrician to audit the electrics because of the number of modifications, the work looks OK, but it's rather "exposed". These are the sort of things I look at when I look at narrowboats. It is a good builder and paintwork looks OK. Possibly better suited to residential mooring than a continuous cruiser. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

There are good reasons why moorings at Cuckoo Wharf are hard to shift.  It's not exactly prime real estate territory is it?

I would ring the local moorings coordinator at CRT (Lisa Shaw?) and ask if she has anything available / coming up.

I was thinking that, not somewhere I would like to be, but then I really dislike urban areas, walking down the towpath past the fields to my tiny patch of heaven is the best end to a working day

19 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I was thinking that, not somewhere I would like to be, but then I really dislike urban areas, walking down the towpath past the fields to my tiny patch of heaven is the best end to a working day

It's not just that it's Urban, it's that it's, IMO, a particularly unpleasant area.  Some urban moorings are lovely.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

The other problem is that it fails to provide one of the main benefits of having a mooring, that being the support/friendship/camaraderie of the community of moorers who are there with you.  How many permanent moorings are at Cuckoo Wharf?  2?

How many moorings full stop. I could never understand the signage when I have passed and still cant work out where a visitor could stop.

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The other problem is that it fails to provide one of the main benefits of having a mooring, that being the support/friendship/camaraderie of the community of moorers who are there with you.  How many permanent moorings are at Cuckoo Wharf?  2?

3. With the waterpoint mooring in between two of them.