Mould on upholstery

Featured Posts

Leisure cruiser. OK so prevention is better than cure but I`ve noticed the arrival of some mould on the fabric on part of my tumbledown. (glued so can`t remove really) any advice for removal other than vinegar and water. We do leave windows open for cross air flow and strangely enough mostly occurs adjacent to the open window.

7 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Leisure cruiser. OK so prevention is better than cure but I`ve noticed the arrival of some mould on the fabric on part of my tumbledown. (glued so can`t remove really) any advice for removal other than vinegar and water. We do leave windows open for cross air flow and strangely enough mostly occurs adjacent to the open window.

Fabric as in cloth material? How about Vanish Oxi Action Stain Remover about £3.50. Maybe Vanish carpet cleaner which is a dry powder in a shaker. 

Fabric as in a wooden panel? Spraying bleach works quite.

White vinegar is supposed to be good, though I've not tried it. The above I have with success.

Edited by Jennifer McM

A steam cleaner may help remove/ kill the mould and since no chemicals are involved is less likely to leave a stain.

I use  dehumidifier to keep the boat interior dry over winter , while the boat is generally unused.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/dd8l-dehumidifiers?refsource=Apadcenters&msclkid=a6c74cd856c4162538de105a9485d366&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_Dehumidifiers_Brand&utm_term=meaco dd8l dehumidifier&utm_content=Dehumidifiers_Meaco_08L

The dehumidifier  has cost me £60 in electricity over three months but well worth it for zero mould and the boat interior feels fresh and comfortable even  in cold and wet weather such as today.

4 hours ago, jddevel said:

Close the window.

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

If your mooring has power then closing all down ventilation and using a dehumidifier such as the Meaco DD8L during the colder months will prevent condensation forming and thus mould.

We have done exactly this for the last 5 winters and our boat always smells really fresh and dry.  Our DD8L packed up this winter and we will buy a new one for next time. 

Unfortunately we currently have no mains electric although I believe that is due to change soon. So dehumidifier is out. My solar wouldn`t keep up with it. The material concerned is furniture fabric which we have used in places as a finish on parts of the tumbledown. Regarding windows I was always under the impression that an open window was advised during non-occupation inorder to ventilate and infact help combat condensation. Will try the Mykal anti mould and mildew spray as suggested.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Unfortunately we currently have no mains electric although I believe that is due to change soon. So dehumidifier is out. My solar wouldn`t keep up with it. The material concerned is furniture fabric which we have used in places as a finish on parts of the tumbledown. Regarding windows I was always under the impression that an open window was advised during non-occupation inorder to ventilate and infact help combat condensation. Will try the Mykal anti mould and mildew spray as suggested.

Mind, mould/mildrew spray probably contains bleach.