TV sets

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Yes, that's why I was asking the question about what resolution to enter. As I said I have no idea what "standard" TV resolution is these days - or if such a thing exists? You're saying "The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec." but I don't have the TV yet. If I already had the new TV I wouldn't need to go onto a website to establish the maximum screen size. 

The information about TV resolution is available before you buy a TV.

The info. about tv resolutions is widely available on the internet.

Eg 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/4k-1080p-2k-uhd-8k-tv-resolutions-explained/

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, that's why I was asking the question about what resolution to enter. As I said I have no idea what "standard" TV resolution is these days - or if such a thing exists? You're saying "The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec." but I don't have the TV yet. If I already had the new TV I wouldn't need to go onto a website to establish the maximum screen size. 

43" viewed across the width of a narrowboat? 

That's correct.  I just checked using the screen size calculator mentioned above and fortuitously 43" is the recommended size for a 4K set for that viewing distance. Having watched a full length DVD on it for the first time last night I can now conform that it provided comfortable viewing.

Edited by Idle Days
speelchecker

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The information about TV resolution is available before you buy a TV.

The info. about tv resolutions is widely available on the internet.

Eg 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/4k-1080p-2k-uhd-8k-tv-resolutions-explained/

Yes I know that, but it's not necessarily available if you haven't already established what screen size you want. That's what I was trying to do with the website you posted the link for. I thought that was the point?

I'm not going to spend time finding every screen resolution online for every TV set in every potential screen size beforehand. I was simply trying to determine the optimal screen size first. As I said, probably best to use a tape measure.

Edited by blackrose

29 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

That's correct.  I just checked using the screen size calculator mentioned above and fortuitously 43" is the recommended size for a 4K set for that viewing distance. Having watched a full length DVD on it for the first time last night I can now conform that it provided comfortable viewing.

43" certainly seems like a big screen viewed across the width of a narrowboat. I'm only looking at 32" on my widebeam. I think any bigger than that would dominate the room. 

Enough has been said about the screen size...

However -

We had a 32" HD Samsung which worked well - but the sond volume was poor (we don't have a TV on loud) - so I replaced it with a 23" older model which had good sound quality and volume and I removed the sound bar = reduces clutter.

I notice that most / many photos on the web (we're selling thus I want to see what the competition is). I was horrified to see that invbariably the set was installed, fixed  below the gunnel. IMO that is A Bad Thing as the viewing angle is not comfortable or good for you...

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes, that's why I was asking the question about what resolution to enter. As I said I have no idea what "standard" TV resolution is these days - or if a standard resolution exists? You're saying "The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec." but I don't have the TV yet. If I already had the new TV I wouldn't need to go onto a website to establish the maximum screen size. 

43" viewed across the width of a narrowboat? 

The resolution is going to depend on the source you are using, it could be a 4K video stream but it may be 1080p or 720p.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I was simply trying to determine the optimal screen size first. As I said, probably best to use a tape measure.

No that merely will tell you whether it will fit a particular space.

It wont suggest to you the best place to sit to make the most of the screen resolution . Of course if that doesnt bother you, then as I said in my first response to you then using a calculator (there are others) is entirely optional.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

My grandma always said you would go blind if you watched the TV for more than 2 hours a day and didn't have the little fish lamp standing on to of it on.

I think your memory is failing you - it was the other thing that Grandma said makes you go blind... ;)