TV sets

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Ive just bought a 28" LG , I always only buy Sony but Sony dont make a 28" anymore.

The LG is rubbish compared to the Sony sets imo.

You get what you pay for......

Yet the Sony uses an LG screen. Odd, innit?

7 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Blurb says it's a monitor so isn't a TV (OK if you've got an adaptor box / sky / WHY)

I've got a 27" Samsung smart TV on the boat  - very nice picture, the sound is OK   - I'm obviously out of date TVs start at 30" nowadays...

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Blurb says it's a monitor so isn't a TV (OK if you've got an adaptor box / sky / WHY)

And it doesn’t mention if it’s HDCP compliant so even if you have a Sky box you might not get a picture. 

6 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Blurb says it's a monitor so isn't a TV

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And it doesn’t mention if it’s HDCP compliant so even if you have a Sky box you might not get a picture. 

No audio either.

Its a good screen, but you need a lot of other kit to go with it!

34 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No audio either.

Its a good screen, but you need a lot of other kit to go with it!

Sorry peeps. Should've read the description, just googled full HD 28" TV's and Argos was the first link.  

12 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Sorry peeps. Should've read the description, just googled full HD 28" TV's and Argos was the first link.  

It was well worth you doing that   (the original post)  from my somewhat anoraky point of view that there are very few 'small'  TVs around (looking as Currys for at least a general indication of what's on the market) My existing 27" Samsung is the only one around and at a silly price.

FWIW there are loads of Youview adaptors around on eBay for around a tenner if you're patient. They take very little power and are small. To my mind they make it reasonable  to have a monitor with an adaptor. That's what we do because part of our cruising range only works on Satellite and for the rest Freeview is easier to use.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick note to add to this TV thread. I've just bought a 32" Cello TV. So, I bought it thinking it was 12v, but it turns out I messed up and just assumed it was as it was described as a motorhome/caravan/boat TV. Anyway,it's 19v with a mains adapter. But, it does have its own battery pack which when charged lasts about 8 hours. It also comes with a 40watt solar panel, which plugs directly in, and a powered antenna. And to be honest, it's doing okay. The sound isn't as good as others, but with it being 6 ft away from my face I can live with it. It's quite light, so was easy to put on a bracket. 

Not bad overall. It was about £215 from Amazon.

5 hours ago, Tony Custard said:

Just a quick note to add to this TV thread. I've just bought a 32" Cello TV. So, I bought it thinking it was 12v, but it turns out I messed up and just assumed it was as it was described as a motorhome/caravan/boat TV. Anyway,it's 19v with a mains adapter. But, it does have its own battery pack which when charged lasts about 8 hours. It also comes with a 40watt solar panel, which plugs directly in, and a powered antenna. And to be honest, it's doing okay. The sound isn't as good as others, but with it being 6 ft away from my face I can live with it. It's quite light, so was easy to put on a bracket. 

Not bad overall. It was about £215 from Amazon.

Plenty of 12v to 19v converters around, every Acer computer I have had uses one, Try ebay, may even have the correct 19v plug on the end.

• 1 year later...

Not wanting to start a new thread, I'll ask this here:

I want to watch TV sitting on my saloon bench seat which is against the wall with the TV on the opposite wall of my NB. What does the forum think is the maximum size screen that I should go for?

21 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I want to watch TV sitting on my saloon bench seat which is against the wall with the TV on the opposite wall of my NB. What does the forum think is the maximum size screen that I should go for?

I had a 29 built into the boat, but they're few and far between so I replaced it with a 32. I like it very much and it's a definite improvement, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

24" here. It's plenty big enough given my head is only about 5ft away from it.

27" probably OK, but might look a bit big on the wall?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

When we bought our last TV for home I used a calulator like this to work out the optimum screen size.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To correct link.

I would say, you need to get the best 

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I would say the quality of screen and the size will effect your eyes, my viewing distance is the same as yours, years ago all I could watch was a 19” due to the scream resolution/pixels, now with all these advances I can happily watch a 32” screen. This is the most I would go to, you don’t need anything bigger, but get the best quality of screen you can afford , unfortunately all this new hyper screen 5K stuff tends to start at 50” plus, don’t go stupid it’s just not worth it as your eyes will be effected especially if you wear glasses. 

Edited by PD1964

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

When we bought our last TV for home I used a calulator like this to work out the optimum screen size.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

What resolution are you supposed to enter? I have no idea of what's a standard TV resolution or what one should be looking for. At the moment with 4k resolution it's telling me I need a 80" TV!!

Isn't it more sensible to use a tape measure to see what size screen would best fit into the space?

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

unfortunately all this new hyper screen 5K stuff tends to start at 50” plus, don’t go stupid it’s just not worth it as your eyes will be effected especially if you wear glasses. 

You mean bigger screens affect your eyes? I'm not sure viewing a screen from 12ft away affects my eyes nearly as much as staring at a laptop screen all day for work or spending too much time looking at a tiny phone screen close up.

My current TV screen is 30" but the TV only has one HDMI input already used for the freesat box and I wanted to use a chromecast to stream. So I was thinking of buying a new TV but I wouldn't go bigger than 32". If anyone wants a 10 year old mains 30" LG for free let me know.

Edited by blackrose

28 minutes ago, blackrose said:

What resolution are you supposed to enter? I have no idea of what's a standard TV resolution or what one should be looking for. At the moment with 4k resolution it's telling me I need a 80" TV!!

Isn't it more sensible to use a tape measure to see what size screen would best fit into the space?

You are of course not forced to use it. It is entirely optional.

I got the OP's question answered to 30 inch. I have no idea where you got 80 inch from.

The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec.

21 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You are of course not forced to use it. It is entirely optional.

I got the OP's question answered to 30 inch. I have no idea where you got 80 inch from.

The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec.

I got 80 inch from the website you posted the link to after entering the following values: 12ft viewing distance & 4K screen resolution which was the default setting when I went to the website. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

we have a 24" and its plenty.... oerr matron!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I got 80 inch from the website you posted the link to after entering the following values: 12ft viewing distance & 4K screen resolution which was the default setting when I went to the website. 

Then that is the 'optimum' recomended screen for that distance at that resoltion. If you lower the resolution the size goes down as you cannot appreciate the high resolution fully at the smaller screen size and if you watch lower resolution TV on a very large screen sat too close it looks 'blurry'.

It is of course worth a mention that to fully appreciate a 4k/UHD tv then the definition of the picture source needs to be up to the task.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

13 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

We have just installed a 43" and view across our boat. I wouldn't want one any smaller and could put up with larger.  Whether the battery system can stand the strain remains to be seen. 

14 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Then that is the 'optimum' recomended screen for that distance at that resoltion. If you lower the resolution the size goes down as you cannot appreciate the high resolution fully at the smaller screen size and if you watch lower resolution TV on a very large screen sat too close it looks 'blurry'.

Yes, that's why I was asking the question about what resolution to enter. As I said I have no idea what "standard" TV resolution is these days - or if a standard resolution exists? You're saying "The screen resolution is normally detailed on the box the telly comes in and the spec." but I don't have the TV yet. If I already had the new TV I wouldn't need to go onto a website to establish the maximum screen size. 

4 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

We have just installed a 43" and view across our boat. I wouldn't want one any smaller and could put up with larger.  Whether the battery system can stand the strain remains to be seen. 

43" viewed across the width of a narrowboat? 

Edited by blackrose