TV sets

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

We are looking to replace our ancient 240v Tv and also the DVD player - both on the boat when we bought it. Can anyone offer any advice on 12v / 240 v options? I can see Cello TVs with mixed reviews and also the Avtex brand which are much higher up the price scale?

We can buy a really nice 240v 24” TV / DVD combo in our local high st for £200 but are concerned about the power consumption.

if anyone has any thoughts or advice then much appreciated.

240v TVs don't necessarily take more power than 12v ones - indeed they may even take less. It is easy to compare the consumption of different 240v TVs, almost all retailers state it in their adverts. However the need to use an inverter will add  between about 5% & 10% to the published figures plus a fixed wastage which makes it more complicated; if you would have had the inverter on anyway for some other reason you can ignore it, but if you have to switch the inverter on just for the TV then you have to add on that wastage which could be anywhere between 5 watts and 30 watts (so it could be negligible or on the other hand could double the power consumption).

Personally I prefer the wider choice, lower price, and generally better performance of the range of 240v TVs

The amount of power used by a telly is governed by screen size and back light method, rather than how they are powered.  If tempted by a 'smart' TV make sure it functions without an internet connection, as this is not always possible on the canal.

4 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

240v TVs don't necessarily take more power than 12v ones - indeed they may even take less. It is easy to compare the consumption of different 240v TVs, almost all retailers state it in their adverts. However the need to use an inverter will add  between about 5% & 10% to the published figures plus a fixed wastage which makes it more complicated; if you would have had the inverter on anyway for some other reason you can ignore it, but if you have to switch the inverter on just for the TV then you have to add on that wastage which could be anywhere between 5 watts and 30 watts (so it could be negligible or on the other hand could double the power consumption).

Personally I prefer the wider choice, lower price, and generally better performance of the range of 240v TVs

Our inverter is on anyway for a 240v fridge.....I really struggle to understand the electrics side of all this but had innocently assumed that a 12v set would be kinder to the batteries?

8 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Our inverter is on anyway for a 240v fridge.....I really struggle to understand the electrics side of all this but had innocently assumed that a 12v set would be kinder to the batteries?

In that case, no the 12v set will not necessarily be any kinder to the batteries. Only the TV specifications will tell you

16 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

With your inverter on anyway, I would go for a 240V one. Far more choice and price range.  We have a Samsung with all the bells and whistles and it works great. Not sure if the Cello will have that level of functionality for the price.

Most tv's will show power consumption in watts, so you can compare regardless of the voltage. If not, just remember P(Watts) = I (Amps) x V (volts).

Small tv's don't have much room for big speakers, hence the inherently tinny sound, though I find I get used to a certain tone quite quickly then don't notice anything untoward.

Sure, if the inverter really is always on, you are not losing anything by going for a 240v set. 

1 hour ago, Dunworkin said:

We are looking to replace our ancient 240v Tv and also the DVD player - both on the boat when we bought it. Can anyone offer any advice on 12v / 240 v options? I can see Cello TVs with mixed reviews and also the Avtex brand which are much higher up the price scale?

We can buy a really nice 240v 24” TV / DVD combo in our local high st for £200 but are concerned about the power consumption.

Mains tvs are abundant and cheap and use a similar or slightly greater amount of leccy if you include inverter running costs in the equasion. I never buy 12 volt anymore.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

With your inverter on anyway, I would go for a 240V one. Far more choice and price range.  We have a Samsung with all the bells and whistles and it works great. Not sure if the Cello will have that level of functionality for the price.

Ive got 2 x Samsung 24inch Smart TVs.... running of 15V adapters from the 12V supply. Both excellent, although I feed the sound in the lounge through a Bose Soundlink Mini II which has a bit more bass.

When we got the boat we wanted a TV just to watch DVDs. We did much research and Avtex got recommended everywhere,, boaters, caravaners and truckers, so that's we got.

It was nothing special at all, in fact not very good in some ways. just very expensive. I reckon its a sort of emperors new clothes thing with people just recommending what they have spent a lot of money on. I've still got it stashed away somewhere if anybody wants to make a nominal offer and collect it.

TV is almost a thing of the past and most of the programs are rubbish, why not use the boat as a reason to escape from this stuff. Get a nice Laptop or Tablet and a good internet deal (lots of data) and just download any stuff that is worth watching. Some things, like big rugby matches etc, can even be watched live.

...............Dave

11 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

To be honest Dave, it really is going to be just a big DVD player.....we don’t really intend to stick up an aerial - just grab a few box sets and play the odd one over a drink occasionally....??

? - do they still do those?

Seriously though, have you considered "streaming" whatever it is you want to watch? My mobile phone with a cheap MHL cable provides all the live or catch up TV, box sets, films, etc, I can eat at little cost and with no need to store any boxes and discs.  Then you could buy a bog standard TV I stead of limiting your choice to a small selection with dvd players. Just an option. :)

On 08/03/2019 at 18:00, mrsmelly said:

Mains tvs are abundant and cheap

Especially the case if you don't feel the need to buy brand new - I paid £100 for my 32" TV (which has full HD, not something you can get on a 32" 12V TV from what I could find).

If you need a DVD player just have a separate one - I actually have a couple of options here, either use the Xbox or a USB DVD player plugged into the laptop.

On 08/03/2019 at 17:26, Mad Harold said:

Have a 12V Cello tv. Quite cheap,doesn't use much leccy,picture quality is reasonable,but sound is rather "tinny"

Thats a polite way of describing the sound quality. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Detling said:

The amount of power used by a telly is governed by screen size and back light method, rather than how they are powered.  If tempted by a 'smart' TV make sure it functions without an internet connection, as this is not always possible on the canal.

I completely agree that the amount of energy consumed depends on the size and brightness of the screen.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:33, Dunworkin said:

I have a Cello for sale on the for sale pages