Middle Level for a month

rasputin

Featured Posts

I moored at Floods ferry for over a year and probably did all you can in a narrowboat. I blogged all out travels, we arrived at Floods Ferry with this report https://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2012/10/thursday-11-october-2012-floods-ferry.html

15 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Agreed that the Middle Level is a bit "different". All part of its charm. Like everywhere else, there are plenty of nice spots where unofficial mooring is possible, but you need to know where they are and, frequently,  you'll need a boarding plank.

MP.

I think that if a road runs alongside the waterway, you are allowed to moor on that side - though it can be a scramble, yes.  There are a number of staithes, as landing stages are known in these here parts: a new one has gone in at Upwell (on the Marmont Priory side of New Bridge, not far from the Globe pub) in the last few months.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

We used to moor at Bill Fen.

The coal is stored around the back, out of sight. Normal arrangement it to breast up if there's a boat on the fuel berth.

Agreed that the Middle Level is a bit "different". All part of its charm. Like everywhere else, there are plenty of nice spots where unofficial mooring is possible, but you need to know where they are and, frequently,  you'll need a boarding plank.

MP.

My recollection and/or observation may be inadequate, but my memory tells me that the pallets were empty. We were not given the option of breasting up- to fill with fuel, more that it was unavoidable because the berth was occupied, but, as I indicated, we were not sufficiently needy to push it. We had other issues to deal with as well.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

My recollection and/or observation may be inadequate, but my memory tells me that the pallets were empty. We were not given the option of breasting up- to fill with fuel, more that it was unavoidable because the berth was occupied, but, as I indicated, we were not sufficiently needy to push it. We had other issues to deal with as well.

I enquired about a mooring there, even made a big fuss of her dog, but still didn't get one

On 09/03/2019 at 19:07, Scholar Gypsy said:

Imrays is pretty good, with some idiosyncrasies. This is also very useful. 

https://middlelevel.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/NavNotes18-web.pdf

I suppose this must be one of the idiosycrasies

"The vessel’s Boat Safety Certificate will need to be available for inspection upon entering the system."

14 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I suppose this must be one of the idiosycrasies

"The vessel’s Boat Safety Certificate will need to be available for inspection upon entering the system."

Yes, though I suppose it could be available for inspection but not inspected.

My favourite (I think on the Ouse is the bit that says "at this point the river executes a 360 degree turn". Try drawing a  picture of that.)

"Thank you for your email.  At this present moment, we do not have any requirement for a BSS Certificate on Middle Level waters we just recommend people to have a Boat Safety Certificate."

I didn't have a physical certificate when I did have one.

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

"Thank you for your email.  At this present moment, we do not have any requirement for a BSS Certificate on Middle Level waters we just recommend people to have a Boat Safety Certificate."

I didn't have a physical certificate when I did have one.

But the recent Middle Level Act will change all that.

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But the recent Middle Level Act will change all that.

Eventually, yes. I can think of a few boats around here which are likely to disappear after the Act becomes law.

Sadly Foxes, Bill Fen, Floods Ferry or the Watermens club can't help us. We can use the slipway at Bill fen but no van and trailer storage. 

So it looks like we will have to try marinas on the Nene or Great Ouse, Might start another thread.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Edited by Athy

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Eventually, yes. I can think of a few boats around here which are likely to disappear after the Act becomes law.

Otherwise known as members of the NBTA, Easy to spot as name and number painted out, At the top of the Middle Level Hit list.

5 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Otherwise known as members of the NBTA, Easy to spot as name and number painted out, At the top of the Middle Level Hit list.

As boats on the Middle Level are not required to have a name or number, why should they not paint them out - and indeed, why should they have them in the first place?

Also, what is the connection with the N.B.T.A?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

As boats on the Middle Level are not required to have a name or number, why should they not paint them out - and indeed, why should they have them in the first place?

How do you think they got to the Middle Level and doesn't the ML have mooring restrictions in places like March so you need to know whos boat it is? 

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How do you think they got to the Middle Level and doesn't the ML have mooring restrictions in places like March so you need to know whos boat it is? 

1) Many boats were launched there. Ours was.

2) Possibly, but not the point.

Edited by Athy

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

Section One of the Navigation Notes The name of each boat should, nonetheless, be clearly shown and visitors are required to register with the lock-keepers at Stanground or Salters Lode, when entering the system. The vessel’s Boat Safety Certificate will need to be available for inspection upon entering the system.

Section 18 Middle Level ByLaws 1874

THe overstayers on the town moorings are members of the NBTA and often state that the NBTA say that the rules can not be inforced,

Edited by nbfiresprite

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The no name and number being displayed is causing the council problems with inforcement on the Town moorings, so far more than £30000 in overstaying charges have been clocked up by six boats and not a penny paid, All are NBTA members   

So, how will they be enforced when the Act becomes law? I can't imagine squads of elite MLC watercops patrolling the 16-foot 24 hours a day.

What is the sense of "nonetheless" in your quotation?

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

The no name and number being displayed is causing the council problems with inforcement on the Town moorings, so far more than £30000 in overstaying charges have been clocked up by six boats and not a penny paid, All are NBTA members   

The Middle Level commisioners shoud resort to Middle Age solutions - seize the boats and auction, taking their tithe from the proceeds.