Middle Level for a month

rasputin

Featured Posts

I am planning to spend April on the middle level or close waterways.

Can anybody advise on slipways, parking for a month for van and trailer.

What would be the best area to explore If the middle level looses its interest (non CaRT waterways)

7 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I am planning to spend April on the middle level or close waterways.

Can anybody advise on slipways, parking for a month for van and trailer.

What would be the best area to explore If the middle level looses its interest (non CaRT waterways)

Fox's Marina at March has a slipway. They have fairly extensive parking space, you may be able to arrange something with them.

Ely has a handsome waterfront, and repays exploration on foot too, though it's a stiff walk up from the river.

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fox's Marina at March has a slipway. They have fairly extensive parking space, you may be able to arrange something with them.

Ely has a handsome waterfront, and repays exploration on foot too, though it's a stiff walk up from the river.

Bill Fen - but mind the peacocks

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

what does that mean?

What it says. Bill Fen is populated by peacocks.

If you tire of the ML, both the Ely Ouse and the Nene are great waterways, but be aware that you need an EA license to use them.

MP.

What sort of boat do you have, you will easily poke around the entire Middle Level in a month. Floods Ferry have a slipway but it was a bit overgrown when we were there. Not that I am recommending it as they didn't seem to welcome visitors, only residents.

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

What sort of boat do you have, you will easily poke around the entire Middle Level in a month. Floods Ferry have a slipway but it was a bit overgrown when we were there. Not that I am recommending it as they didn't seem to welcome visitors, only residents.

Only called there for fuel but they were pleasant enough. I don't think they have much room for visitor moorings and the layout seemed a bit idiosyncratic, but it was built way back in time.

35 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Only called there for fuel but they were pleasant enough. I don't think they have much room for visitor moorings and the layout seemed a bit idiosyncratic, but it was built way back in time.

Foods ferry didn't use to sell fuel

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Foods ferry didn't use to sell fuel

Sorry - threads got out of order - I was attempting to respond to an earlier reference to Fox's. OTOH, I think I had an old guide that suggested that FF did sell it so it is helpful to remind people (esp in an area with very few fuel places) that they do not, at least now. Staying a month on ML: probably the most important thing will be to keep on top of the fuel situation.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Sorry - threads got out of order - I was attempting to respond to an earlier reference to Fox's. OTOH, I think I had an old guide that suggested that FF did sell it so it is helpful to remind people (esp in an area with very few fuel places) that they do not, at least now. Staying a month on ML: probably the most important thing will be to keep on top of the fuel situation.

I think Fox is the only place to get it unless you have cans.

I would fill up with diesel at Stewart Holmes-last place few hundred yards before you get to Stanground Lock-if your tank is low will save you a few quid.

And if you havent booked in to go through you  may want something to do while you are waiting. ?

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think Fox is the only place to get it unless you have cans.

Bill Fen sells diesel, gas and coal. At least it did two years ago when we were last there. I doubt it's changed.

MP.

I spent a month on the Middle Level  3 or 4 years ago, and loved it.

Whittlesea is good to stop at - there are some good pubs, including the best Wetherspoons I've encountered (at the risk of incurring the wrath of those who would never darken the doors).

Don't forget you will need a special windlass and key, which you can get from Tina at Stanground.

I don't suppose the licensing system will have started, as the Bill has only recently passed through Parliament.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

50 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I would fill up with diesel at Stewart Holmes-last place few hundred yards before you get to Stanground Lock-if your tank is low will save you a few quid.

And if you havent booked in to go through you  may want something to do while you are waiting. ?

I thought he was trailering in?

14 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Bill Fen sells diesel, gas and coal. At least it did two years ago when we were last there. I doubt it's changed.

MP.

Sort of! When we were there last year it proved a bit beyond us to extract it from them! In our case, they allowed someone to moor against the fuel point who then went away and the marina weren't terribly interested. We were not desperate (but would have liked to fill up) so did not press it. Did not see any solid fuel but I half remember that it might have been that they did not stock up during the summer.

It is a lovely spot and we happily fitted in  with the particular ways they have of doing things but if you can only cope with a 'proper' modern marina with a five star range of facilities, then pass through the ML at high speed. You will need to look at places on the rivers at either end - and the more up-market ones are a bit of a travel from ML access points.

You also need to plan your mooring spots as mooring other than on the 'official' places is rarely feasible.

At least this how I recall our visit last year - we tried out quit a bit of the navigable parts off the through route. Well worth it if you have the time and inclination.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Sort of! When we were there last year it proved a bit beyond us to extract it from them! In our case, they allowed someone to moor against the fuel point who then went away and the marina weren't terribly interested. We were not desperate (but would have liked to fill up) so did not press it. Did not see any solid fuel but I half remember that it might have been that they did not stock up during the summer.

It is a lovely spot and we happily fitted in  with the particular ways they have of doing things but if you can only cope with a 'proper' modern marina with a five star range of facilities, then pass through the ML at high speed. You will need to look at places on the rivers at either end - and the more up-market ones are a bit of a travel from ML access points.

You also need to plan your mooring spots as mooring other than on the 'official' places is rarely feasible.

At least this how I recall our visit last year - we tried out quit a bit of the navigable parts off the through route. Well worth it if you have the time and inclination.

We used to moor at Bill Fen.

The coal is stored around the back, out of sight. Normal arrangement it to breast up if there's a boat on the fuel berth.

Agreed that the Middle Level is a bit "different". All part of its charm. Like everywhere else, there are plenty of nice spots where unofficial mooring is possible, but you need to know where they are and, frequently,  you'll need a boarding plank.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa