Taunton & Bridgwater

Hampton

Featured Posts

Hello, Does anyone know if it is possible to live on the Taunton and Bridgwater Canal?  I have not seen any boats on it that look as if they are lived on.  What is the canal authorities view of liveaboards and what facilities - loo, water etc - are there?  Thanks

3 hours ago, Hampton said:

Hello, Does anyone know if it is possible to live on the Taunton and Bridgwater Canal?  I have not seen any boats on it that look as if they are lived on.  What is the canal authorities view of liveaboards and what facilities - loo, water etc - are there?  Thanks

From what this map shows (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/bridgwater-and-taunton-canal ) there isn't a lot in the way of boaters facilities but since it is only just over 14 miles long that isn't a surprise, I think most people who use it trail their boats to the slipways. There are certainly no marinas but I cannot say whether any local farmers have field moorings anywhere. You would have to take some sort of formal mooring (if any are available) since on a waterway that is not connected to the system it would be impossible to argue that you are bone fide navigating the system, so 'satisfying the board' would be essentially impossible.

23 hours ago, Hampton said:

There are moorings in Bridgwater with some liveaboards. How legal etc. they are I don't know.

Unofficial and Semi-official liveaboards at Bridgwater Docks. About five years ago one person claimed to be CCing but I don't know if they still are. It's only 14 miles and 5 locks from French's Weir to Bridgwater so such a claim is pushing it somewhat. 

We went to Bridgwater recently during a break on the North Somerset coast. We had intended to explore the town, but we drove around it to get our bearings and find somewhere to park... and decided not to stop.  I'd offer that it's not just the docks that are a bit grim! :(

On 9 March 2019 at 13:52, magpie patrick said:

Unofficial and Semi-official liveaboards at Bridgwater Docks. About five years ago one person claimed to be CCing but I don't know if they still are. It's only 14 miles and 5 locks from French's Weir to Bridgwater so such a claim is pushing it somewhat. 

This is one reason the Lee and Stort is so full of boats, they get their boat there, revert to a River Only licence and then are is a situation that they can only go up and down the rivers. CRT accepted this fact years ago.

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We went to Bridgwater recently during a break on the North Somerset coast. We had intended to explore the town, but we drove around it to get our bearings and find somewhere to park... and decided not to stop.  I'd offer that it's not just the docks that are a bit grim! :(

I think Bridgwater is a lovely town. Pity you didn't park and explore.

Edited by Laurie.Booth

8 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I think Bridgwater is a lovely town. Pity you didn't park and explore.

Then next time I have the opportunity,  I'll fight through my initial apprehension and give it a chance.  My view has been tempered!  Thank you Laurie.  :)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Then next time I have the opportunity,  I'll fight through my initial apprehension and give it a chance.  My view has been tempered!  Thank you Laurie.  :)

Park in Morrisons (Free) and walk into town.

:)

On 11/03/2019 at 09:14, Hampton said:

It is commonly known as Bilgewater!  It does have some nice bits though.  It has the oldest purpose-built arts centre.

And it is commonly called "Bridgy"

:)

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That's not what we used to call it when British Cellophane had their factory there :sick: it did help you to know where you were on the M5 in the dark though:rolleyes:

Ooh yes!  I remember that!  Not as bad as the Tannery next to Camell Laird dockyard in Birkenhead (which was my weekly commute - the dockyard, not the Tannery!), but it certainly was a sensory landmark on my journey.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Ooh yes!  I remember that!  Not as bad as the Tannery next to Camell Laird dockyard in Birkenhead (which was my weekly commute - the dockyard, not the Tannery!), but it certainly was a sensory landmark on my journey.

Tanneries were places I regularly delivered to, a bit smelly bit the absolute king of stench was an animal blood processing plant that I delivered to in the middle of the Mendips, it absolutely stunk and no matter how long you were there you never got used to the smell. Conversationally, whilst looking out over the Mendips where I didn't see any other habitation, I said to one of the workers,"Well at least I don't suppose you get any complaints from the neighbours", to which he replied,"Oh yes we do!!", I couldn't see any from there.

Curiously I also delivered to British Cellophane and on the site the smell was minimal, they seemed to manage to send it all up that big chimney.