The Trent claims another boat

luggsy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

This is the current water level at hazelford 

IMG_3628.JPG

It's quite impressive when the weirs disappear.

Hazelford in more ordinary conditions 

20160724.jpg

45 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The EA river level monitor for Farndon seems to have stopped recording on Friday.

Has the river peaked there yet?

The water level is pretty high but not threatening the service yard or the car parking areas at the marina just now. 

I would say the water level has risen a little this afternoon.

The level at Colwick is rising again according to the river level gauge . Perhaps the flow is being adjusted  at Colwick sluices .

On 08/03/2019 at 08:04, Bee said:

I've never found a way to leave a boat on a river that has given me much confidence . tight lines, slack lines, all have risks. a huge anchor and leave the thing well away from the bank might work but then there's plenty that can go wrong with that too. I feel sorry for the owners, that'll be a total loss I expext.

I've been moored on rivers full time for the past 9 years including the Thames, the Warks Avon and the Nene. There are plenty of ways to do it safely, it's just about knowing what you're doing. The problem is that a lot of canal boaters don't.

I had to put in my own poles on the Thames to keep the boat off the garden mooring and I used them in conjunction with a large permanent concrete anchor I made and deployed when I first got there. Some boaters on the other side of the river took the p*ss when I put those poles in but they soon stopped laughing when it flooded. On the Avon I was out in the middle of the river when it flooded so getting to and from the boat was the biggest challenge. Coming home in the dark after work with a headtorch and getting in the dinghy to go back to the boat was scary in case an uprooted tree washed down and wiped me out. They often used to float past. 

You've got to have made all your preparations in advance - as the word "preparation" suggests. It may seem like a waste of time and money when it's nice and sunny and the river is low, but it's like an insurance policy. If you wait until it begins to flood you've probably left it too late, especially on a river like the Avon when it can rise as much as 8ft in 2 days.

Windsor and Maidenhead-20121128-00095.jpg

Edited by blackrose

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

No noticeable change in water level at Farndon this evening compared to the same time yesterday.

I painted lines on the side of my boat at my last blacking so I can see whether there's a rise or fall in tides or river levels...

;)

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

lI painted lines on the side of my boat at my last blacking so I can see whether there's a rise or fall in tides or river levels...

;)

Isn't that called 'Plimsoll Lines' ?  Winter North Atlantic and suchlike.

plimsoll[1].jpg

6 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

plimsoll[1].jpg

I think its updated (modernised) now and it is called the 'trainer' line

(Plimsol is so passé)

When entering the Caledonian Canal from the sea you have to be aware of the draft height differences as you leave salt and get onto fresh water.

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Over 0.3m below the Boxing Day 2015 flood at Wakefield according to gaugemap.

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1978/2096

I was going by physical measurements at the wharf. Saturday it just touched the base of the mooring bollards and Boxing Day was approximately half way up.  Unfortunately I witnessed both occasions....

4 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

plimsoll[1].jpg

No, in my case it's just a tide mark...

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Has there been ?

Barely any, but maybe that's 'cos I haven't been aboard during a spring tide?  My garden suggests spring is upon us, so perhaps it's time to pay attention.  I'll get the missus to sit and watch the waterline for a bit whilst I have a lie down.

:D

Looks like the data from the Farndon gauge, which had stopped on Friday, has been restored. Levels on the non-tidal Trent below Nottingham seem to be dropping nicely. 

The water on the non-tidal river has been high but it has been a lot worse in the past.

Well before the  weekend I expect the river will look its more normal appearance. 

I hope everyone who has been stuck at moorings out on the river and unable to move their boats has been okay.