The Trent claims another boat

luggsy

Featured Posts

Sorry - basic question here but not knowing the area, what would cause the boat to sink, tight ropes, resting on the edge of the banking maybe, I'm doubtful anything wrong with the boat itself ?

Edited by sniffy

very sad saw this yesterday as well , is this a case of no slack in the mooring ropes? According to the story on fb the EA opened the sluice gates if true can someone explain how the boat should have been moored to counteract this when the gates were opened please

13 minutes ago, Nut said:

very sad saw this yesterday as well , is this a case of no slack in the mooring ropes? According to the story on fb the EA opened the sluice gates if true can someone explain how the boat should have been moored to counteract this when the gates were opened please

Preferably attended or visited very frequently. If not then onto a floating pontoon or with long metal poles hinged at the bank and boat end so it can rise and fall. Poles also prevent it riding over the bank.

If all else failed then very long lines running a long way forward and aft in the manner of spring lines but then you need to take other precautions to stop it riding over the bank. If leaving a boat on a river in winter I would also try to rig a very strong flood line from a strong point on the boat that is not used by the ordinary lines and fairly high up on say a tree. Maybe on a canal boat the anchor chain and line could be used.

The bumpy water chaps have to cope with rising and falling levels all the time - in fact twice a day. Next time you are at a harbour see how any boats against the quay are moored.

• Greenie 2

I've never found a way to leave a boat on a river that has given me much confidence . tight lines, slack lines, all have risks. a huge anchor and leave the thing well away from the bank might work but then there's plenty that can go wrong with that too. I feel sorry for the owners, that'll be a total loss I expext.

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've never found a way to leave a boat on a river that has given me much confidence . tight lines, slack lines, all have risks. a huge anchor and leave the thing well away from the bank might work but then there's plenty that can go wrong with that too. I feel sorry for the owners, that'll be a total loss I expext.

I saw some moorings on the Warwick Avon that looked very secure. As I indicated it involved long scaffold poles pivoted at the bank end so they could  rise and fall and I thin caravan trailer ball hitches onto the boat. The two poles had another triangulating them back to the bank, again pivoted, so it prevented fore and aft movement of the boat. However these were permanent moorings on peoples gardens. I would still prefer to attend the boat when floods are likely.

Agree, sorry for the owners.

1 hour ago, sniffy said:

Sorry - basic question here but not knowing the area, what would cause the boat to sink, tight ropes, resting on the edge of the banking maybe, I'm doubtful anything wrong with the boat itself ?

The mooring it is on is not a floating mooring and they have left it tied and chained up in such a way that it can not come up with the water levels.

12 minutes ago, Bee said:

There are plenty of safe moorings on the Trent to leave a boat during flood conditions.

That isn't one of them at The Ferry Boat, Burton Joyce.

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hard to tell, but the wake of the ducks suggests it may be moored arse end on to the flow.  That end, with its low freeboard and engine 'ole vents, is much easier to swamp than the pointy bit.

It's difficult to get the same angle from Google Maps but it is moored with the bow pointing upstream.

Capture.jpg

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's difficult to get the same angle from Google Maps but it is moored with the bow pointing upstream.

Ah, thanks for ruling that one out.  I can't image how it would feel to come back to your boat and find her like that. :(

• Greenie 1

That's so sad. From the little that can still be seen, looks like a well looked after boat. Looks vaguely familiar. Anyone any idea which boat? We were on the Trent in Nottingham last weekend and watched a boat going downstream. Owners may not have left it for long. 

The Trent used to rise slowly but with current weather fluctuations and various hydro electric schemes it's much more difficult to predict. 

Are those the newly redone moorings?

4 hours ago, sniffy said:

Same question as me. What were the circumstances leading to the boat sinking.

....and if no fault of the boat, and due to the river conditions,  why did luggsy not sink as well?

Puzzled?

Edited by Horace42

5 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I think its been answered? This is usualy caused by people tying soundly up to a non rise and fall mooring and leaving the boat. The river comes up and the boat gets swamped and goes down. Its a common occurence over the years. I am not stating thats what has happened here but would not be suprised. We never leave our boat unattended on a river unless we know categoricaly the river is going to be benign and then never for more than a few hours. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Nut said:

the EA opened the sluice gates if true can someone explain how the boat should have been moored to counteract this when the gates were opened please

If opening the gates causes a drop in water level, I don't think you can counteract it other than by moving to a pontoon. If the rear of the boat had drifted over the bank when the river flooded, it could catch and tip over when the level dropped.

Edited by Señor Chris

A mate had a boat in a marina on the Avon, close to Stratford, and all the boats were moored to rings on tall scaffold poles. One year a particularly high flood lifted every boat off the top of the poles and the marina owner had a most exciting day rescuing them. He saved all the boats in his care but a run down towards Stratford showed one boat on a bankside private mooring with a scaffold pole sticking straight through it. It must have floated over the top of it and then when the water lowered...

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

....and if no fault of the boat, and due to the river conditions,  why did luggsy not sink as well?

Puzzled?

I am moored at the top side of hazelford lock if things went really bad I would go in the lock , the nearest floating pontoon to me is 1/2 mile away don't know if it's private or not 

1 hour ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Agree about moving to a floating pontoon but can't think of one near there. 

Seems owner was on board and trying to save it. 

Above Stoke Lock just upstream of where the boat sank.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I think its been answered? This is usualy caused by people tying soundly up to a non rise and fall mooring and leaving the boat. The river comes up and the boat gets swamped and goes down. Its a common occurence over the years. I am not stating thats what has happened here but would not be suprised. We never leave our boat unattended on a river unless we know categoricaly the river is going to be benign and then never for more than a few hours. 

In this case the boat was also chained to the pontoon according to the RCR report.

The EA river levels website shows the rise in river levels at the upstream and downstream monitoring stations.

Colwick.jpg

FARNDON.jpg

The rain was forecast well in advance so it is a bit of poor judgement from the owners really. Still must be gutting for them though.