Pretty town moorings

Mac10

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

pretty town mooring

Actually, though Cropredy itself is extremely pretty, the moorings below the lock (where we moor) are pleasant enough but not outstanding.

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

Not sure that is very helpful to the OP.

Since when has having to be helpful to the OP being a requirement of this forum?

I see you are also 'not sure'.

However, I would beg to disagree. Am I the only one who to see Saltisford as a place that fits the " pretty town moorings to explore; those that are on the edge of or in town or only a short walk away'? Would you not describe the view you get from standing on the back of your boat when moored outside the office as pretty? Looking up the line of brightly coloured moored boats, bending away 'till lost to the eye. The abundant vibrance of the greens of the early summer foliage rising above the canal to the sky, framing the well tended and colourful flower beds with the tops of the boats. The manicured green lawn (Ian got a new mower this year) to the side and rear. The fragrance of new cut grass and the last of Ian's mandarin ducks quacking away in the background. In the autumn, the colours of summer are replaced by the hues of the browning leaves and the magnificent conker trees droping their prizes for the school children (go there each autumn to stock up on conkers to keep the spiders at bay). All this less than 10 mins walk from the centre of one of Englands nicest cities?

Maybe you dont like Saltisford, but for a newcomer to the canal network, I think it is a place not to miss if travelling up that part of the GU. It takes you back to what you imagine the canals were like many years ago. Try it at least once.

Maybe we are biased. We go there 3 or 4 times a year and are members of the Saltisford canal trust.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Mrs Bob likes the place - so that is 3 of us!:)

We walked down it once when we were moored at the Rock Of Gibraltar, and we found it most agreeable. I think we even talked about taking a mooring there, but there were no vacancies (as I suspect there rarely are).

Depends where you are?

Marinas and towns I have experience of:

Tattenhall - Clean sprawling and organised marina. Close to town which is typical "Cheshire set"!

Chester - no marina  but you can moor for a while.  Beautiful and historic bustling Roman city.  Locks are challenging!

Northwich - small marina, pretty average. Dump of a town. Uplands marina is a dump. ABC marina next door is small and no character. Anderton boat lift is unique experience/coffee shop/mooring only.

Nantwich - Aqueduct marina - New - very clean and very professional and well laid out marina offering everything. Nantwich isn't bad either.

Chirk Marina near Ruabon, N Wales. - Gorgeous landscape including the world heritage Pontcysyllte aquaduct. Chice of Wrexham town (okay) or travel down the canal to Llangollen (v nice town).

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Since when has having to be helpful to the OP being a requirement of this forum?

I see you are also 'not sure'.

However, I would beg to disagree. Am I the only one who to see Saltisford as a place that fits the " pretty town moorings to explore; those that are on the edge of or in town or only a short walk away'? Would you not describe the view you get from standing on the back of your boat when moored outside the office as pretty? Looking up the line of brightly coloured moored boats, bending away 'till lost to the eye. The abundant vibrance of the greens of the early summer foliage rising above the canal to the sky, framing the well tended and colourful flower beds with the tops of the boats. The manicured green lawn (Ian got a new mower this year) to the side and rear. The fragrance of new cut grass and the last of Ian's mandarin ducks quacking away in the background. In the autumn, the colours of summer are replaced by the hues of the browning leaves and the magnificent conker trees droping their prizes for the school children (go there each autumn to stock up on conkers to keep the spiders at bay). All this less than 10 mins walk from the centre of one of Englands nicest cities?

Maybe you dont like Saltisford, but for a newcomer to the canal network, I think it is a place not to miss if travelling up that part of the GU. It takes you back to what you imagine the canals were like many years ago. Try it at least once.

Maybe we are biased. We go there 3 or 4 times a year and are members of the Saltisford canal trust.

Nothing against Saltisford, but it is basically a marina next to a busy main road, not my description of pretty, but certainly an OK place to moor.  My choice in the area would be a couple of locks up Hatton, equally unhelpful to the OP though as I don’t need to walk into Warwick knowing it rather well.

21 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

Depends where you are?

Marinas and towns I have experience of:

Tattenhall - Clean sprawling and organised marina. Close to town which is typical "Cheshire set"!

Chester - no marina  but you can moor for a while.  Beautiful and historic bustling Roman city.  Locks are challenging!

Northwich - small marina, pretty average. Dump of a town. Uplands marina is a dump. ABC marina next door is small and no character. Anderton boat lift is unique experience/coffee shop/mooring only.

Nantwich - Aqueduct marina - New - very clean and very professional and well laid out marina offering everything. Nantwich isn't bad either.

Chirk Marina near Ruabon, N Wales. - Gorgeous landscape including the world heritage Pontcysyllte aquaduct. Chice of Wrexham town (okay) or travel down the canal to Llangollen (v nice town).

Well I was going to propose Northwich (Weaver) as a quite pretty visitor mooring, wide water and right opposite the little marina, plus a view of the two spectacular swing bridges. We spent much of last winter there and found the high street quite pleasant, especially when the market was on. Northwich has started to come back to life over the last couple of years though the old shopping precinct certainly is a dump. Salty Dog is a good and interesting "micro" pub. I think there are now new pontoons outside the new shopping centre, I really hope this does not result in the loss of the lovely town moorings.

...............Dave

• Happy 1

21 hours ago, Goliath said:

Tod is ace but I wouldn’t describe the moorings pretty until  you go above Gauxholme locks. 

Tod is quite a pretty town and has made an effort with its canal frontage but has not quite got it right, all that stainless steel "art" does not sit well with the character of the canal or town. The slightly sloping wash wall gives the boat a beating too. Hebden Bridge is very pretty. Sowerby bridge is also quite good, one of the best and most extensive restored canal wharf buildings that I have seen. The summit is really spectacular but not a short walk into any town.

...............Dave

Oh sod it - we might as well add Wolverhampton. Ok, perhaps not conventionally "pretty", but you can get a decent pint in the Great Western. If you're lucky like we were once, you can turn up when they've just done a funeral and the spare buffet goes on the bar! Splendid!! :D

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh sod it - we might as well add Wolverhampton. Ok, perhaps not conventionally "pretty", but you can get a decent pint in the Great Western. If you're lucky like we were once, you can turn up when they've just done a funeral and the spare buffet goes on the bar! Splendid!! :D

If I had to make a 'Top Ten pubs' list the Great Western would be on it.

(Despite it's name!)

51 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Are we talking about the same place?  I very much like Tod but it wouldn’t get on the ‘pretty’ list. 

A town with character is Tod. 

You have to walk up one of the hills (either side of either valley) and look down upon it to appreciate it best. ?

Got back here a few days ago and immediately caught a nasty Golden Lion hangover!

................Dave

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

If I had to make a 'Top Ten pubs' list the Great Western would be on it.

(Despite it's name!)

Not canalside and not a pretty town, though quite attractive if you can get into the basin below the Fellows-Morton-Clayton building. We could have a new thread "great pubs in crap towns", I would also nominate the Gt Western plus Ma Pardoes and the Holy Inadequate.

..............Dave