Pretty town moorings

Mac10

Featured Posts

Oxford -

From Christchurch meadow, If you can find a slot that's not got a CMer in it

On the Osney lock moorings - they have a certain charm

Fabulous vista from Port Meadow, if you don't mind anchoring.

Ah, but then Oxford is a City - thus I don't suppose it qualifies....

18 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Warwick town centre...very nice. Some good pubs.

Moor in Saltisford. Also very nice.

Yes the town centre is nice, but that was not the question!  I would not consider that any of the possible mooring locations are what you would describe as “pretty”.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Can’t believe Stratford upon Avon hasn’t been mentioned! Newbury is nice. Personally I wouldn’t stop in Nuneaten unless I had to (it may have been tongue in cheek!). 

Cruised through Nuneaton a couple of weeks ago. Someone threw a sweet at us, landed on  the roof. I shouted where's mine, sure enough another missile arrived very shortly afterwards. Glad they were sweets.

So is it a pretty mooring in a town, or a mooring in a pretty town? Maybe it's a pretty mooring in a pretty town.

Considering Nuneaton's neighbours are Atherstone and Bedworth maybe it wasn't such a duff call. Although there is a cluster of nice buildings close to the town moorings in Atherstone.

How about Vines Park, Droitwich. That's a pretty mooring very close to a town centre. Plenty enough to see to kill a lunchtime.

JP

We're in Goole at the moment and whilst I wouldn't call it pretty it is very interesting in its own way. Loving watching the big ships coming and going and the tug Little Shuva doing it tugging and shoveing. Strange to think that we are on the same pound as them! Good waterways museum too.

21 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

We're in Goole at the moment and whilst I wouldn't call it pretty it is very interesting in its own way. Loving watching the big ships coming and going and the tug Little Shuva doing it tugging and shoveing. Strange to think that we are on the same pound as them! Good waterways museum too.

I think that's it. I find lots of places interesting even if not exactly pretty. 

I'm convinced Burton on Trent is one of the most underrated towns in the country. It has some really grand buildings right in the centre though none of them are tarted up. And the mooring at shobnell fields is pretty at this time of year with lots of daffodils. 

• Greenie 1

Many of the places mentioned tend to be a bit snooty. where snoots on shiny boats tend to pull up :)  Now take Millwall or Cubitts town on the Isle of Dogs, London. Lots of interest, you have two brilliant pubs by the water one of which is the Prospect of Whitby, very old, world renowned, best beers, live music, stone steps leading up to it from the Thames, been used in films too, been there by sailing dinghy a couple of times and by bicycle.  Thames river police headquarters and underground launch workshop, also a small river police museum just along from the Prospect of Whitby.

Coventry basin has a nice feel to it. Glad I don't take notice of naysayers as I found the city makes for some interesting exploration as well. Same with Boston.