Cylinder Head rebuild

colinnorth

Featured Posts

I would suspect the wiring to the glow plugs not passing sufficient current to get all 4 hot, 40 secs is far longer than I would expect to run the plugs. What state is the engine battery in?

Disconnect 2 or even 3 of the plugs and see how fast the engine fires on the remaining cylinder/s, Check the voltage on the plugs when all 4 are connected.

If you are relying on the ignition switch to power the plugs, consider using a relay that has a direct feed to the batteries (via a 60A fuse) energised by the ignition switch.

Last call is a compression test.

A 1.5D or a 1.8D engine with good compression will start easily without the plugs if the weather is not very cold.

Mine "needs" 5 seconds even when it has not been started for 4 months. And it only gets that by me having the habit of pausing before turning the motor over.

Retarded timing of the injection pump will cause white smoke and slow starting, are you CERTAIN that the pump hasn't been turned when taking pipes on and off?

Thanks for your replies.

The Relay is probably my next move. I will check the glowplug voltage when next aboard. Strange however that this did not happen before the strip-down/rebuild. Pretty sure the injection pump was not moved.

I note that 3 of the glowplus (that have been in situ for some years) all draw 4A constant whilst 12V applied. The 4th glowplug which was replaced by me some 3 years ago draws 16A falling to 6A once is has started to 'glow'. That's a total of 28A down to 20A once warm. The battery is in good condition. I habitually warm the glowplugs on the leisure batteries and switch to engine battery for the Starter. This in my tiny mind gives the starter battery the best chance at supplying oomph to turn the engine over.

I would suspect the wiring to the glow plugs not passing sufficient current to get all 4 hot, 40 secs is far longer than I would expect to run the plugs. What state is the engine battery in?

Disconnect 2 or even 3 of the plugs and see how fast the engine fires on the remaining cylinder/s, Check the voltage on the plugs when all 4 are connected.

If you are relying on the ignition switch to power the plugs, consider using a relay that has a direct feed to the batteries (via a 60A fuse) energised by the ignition switch.

Last call is a compression test.

A 1.5D or a 1.8D engine with good compression will start easily without the plugs if the weather is not very cold.

Mine "needs" 5 seconds even when it has not been started for 4 months. And it only gets that by me having the habit of pausing before turning the motor over.

Retarded timing of the injection pump will cause white smoke and slow starting, are you CERTAIN that the pump hasn't been turned when taking pipes on and off?

13 minutes ago, colinnorth said:

Thanks for your replies.

The Relay is probably my next move. I will check the glowplug voltage when next aboard. Strange however that this did not happen before the strip-down/rebuild. Pretty sure the injection pump was not moved.

I note that 3 of the glowplus (that have been in situ for some years) all draw 4A constant whilst 12V applied. The 4th glowplug which was replaced by me some 3 years ago draws 16A falling to 6A once is has started to 'glow'. That's a total of 28A down to 20A once warm. The battery is in good condition. I habitually warm the glowplugs on the leisure batteries and switch to engine battery for the Starter. This in my tiny mind gives the starter battery the best chance at supplying oomph to turn the engine over.

Ah, theres is a discrepancy. Mine pulls 42 amps with 4 cold plugs.

You mention changed injectors, are you sure that they are the correct injectors? Perkins injectors look exactly the same but poke the top hats out, I've seen engines fitted with the wrong ones.

Where does the feed cable for the heaters join the 4 ? It should not be one end, but one of the center heaters.

Edited by Boater Sam

I will check the markings on the Injector Pump.

The injectors were purchased from Calcutt: http://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/CR5333102REC

The 12V feed comes via the Ignition key to the 2nd glowplug. I will look at purchasing a relay to improve the voltage arriving at the glowplugs.

I have examined the glowplugs in some detail on a bench power supply, that is how I derived my glowplug current draws. There appear to be (at least) two types of glowplug. The old, original glowplugs which draw about 4A and take some 20 seconds to start to glow and have reached full brilliance by about 30-40 seconds and then there are a range of quick heat plugs which draw 16A to start with, start glowing after about 5 seconds by which time their current has dropped to about 6A. There may be others.

I will get a relay and fit that before going any further and will check the injector pump timing.

Thanks for all of your replies, they have been most helpful.