Electric heater - advice please!

magictime

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

That's very interesting - my system (one of the originals) doesn't have it and there's no mention of the facility in the latest offering from MV heating?

It must be a fairly standard thing because when I wasn't sure which model I had, MX40 or MX60, that's how Ed was able to tell - 'has it got the water pump setting on the control panel'? (There are 3 settings - water pump, off, heater.)

Forget electric heating of the boat while on the move. The numbers just don't work. Best bet is to go in to a marina with hook up for a few days and buy/borrow/steal a couple of electric heaters until the diesel heater is fixed. Or just book in to a flea pit hotel while it is being fixed. I was on my boat while it was in a covered dry dock in March with a chilly east wind blowing in . No stove allowed due to the roof, so I was using a 2kW oil filled rad on a land line day and night. Still ******** cold and that is much more electrickery than you can possibly hope to generate on the move.

Jen

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Forget electric heating of the boat while on the move. The numbers just don't work. Best bet is to go in to a marina with hook up for a few days and buy/borrow/steal a couple of electric heaters until the diesel heater is fixed. Or just book in to a flea pit hotel while it is being fixed. I was on my boat while it was in a covered dry dock in March with a chilly east wind blowing in . No stove allowed due to the roof, so I was using a 2kW oil filled rad on a land line day and night. Still ******** cold and that is much more electrickery than you can possibly hope to generate on the move.

Jen

This makes all kinds of sense but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to spend £100 on the engineer's travel when we're going to be cruising right past him so soon. I dunno, I can see us giving up after a night or three but for now we're in extra jumpers mode. Alas we're also in getting nowhere fast mode because the weather this week does not look remotely conducive to river cruising, and we need to go via the A&C and C&H. Grr! All good fun.

12 hours ago, Aground said:

To go back to one of the original suggestions -  Go Outdoors sell a gas heater that runs off cartridges/cannisters for £30-.  As for its safety on board, that is for you to decide.

Yeah, I have decided - not chancing it.

Anyway, the Mikuni seems to have started working again, for now. Fingers crossed!

• Happy 1