Victron Phoenix Charger Settings

GeoffS

Featured Posts

I have 50A Victron Phoenix charger to charge 4 Exide Sealed Lead Acid batteries. When the batteries need changing I plan to get Trojan Gels. Charger and Batteries are located in the engine room and so I would say close to outside temperature when moored.

Reading the Trojan literature they state that Temperature Compensation should be 0.028V per cell for every 10 degrees below or above 25 degrees. So, if I am correct, at 10 degrees you would need to add 0.028*6= 0.168V. The Absorption Voltage is 14.4 so it should then be at 14.568.

I have my charger set at an Absorption Voltage of 14.4 but when charging today, around 10 degrees, the Voltage is up to 14.8. I cannot find anywhere to set the Victron Compensation so it looks like it is adding >0.04 Vpc per 10 degrees.

When I change to the Gels is this going to be an issue that it is charging at a higher than recommended  voltage or am I worrying too much? If it is, is there anyway to alter the setting on the Victron?

3 hours ago, GeoffS said:

If it is, is there anyway to alter the setting on the Victron?

Victron manuals are available to download free from their website. I expect battery type will be selectable by dip switches.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Victron manuals are available to download free from their website. I expect battery type will be selectable by dip switches.

I have the Victron software but there isn't an option to alter the Temperature Compensation setting. Unless by selecting a different battery type it also alters the Temp setting values?

1 hour ago, GeoffS said:

I have the Victron software but there isn't an option to alter the Temperature Compensation setting. Unless by selecting a different battery type it also alters the Temp setting values?

Presumably on the AGM setting the top voltages will be reduced anyway, surely? What does the manual say?

6 hours ago, GeoffS said:

I have 50A Victron Phoenix charger to charge 4 Exide Sealed Lead Acid batteries. When the batteries need changing I plan to get Trojan Gels. Charger and Batteries are located in the engine room and so I would say close to outside temperature when moored.

Reading the Trojan literature they state that Temperature Compensation should be 0.028V per cell for every 10 degrees below or above 25 degrees. So, if I am correct, at 10 degrees you would need to add 0.028*6= 0.168V. The Absorption Voltage is 14.4 so it should then be at 14.568.

I have my charger set at an Absorption Voltage of 14.4 but when charging today, around 10 degrees, the Voltage is up to 14.8. I cannot find anywhere to set the Victron Compensation so it looks like it is adding >0.04 Vpc per 10 degrees.

When I change to the Gels is this going to be an issue that it is charging at a higher than recommended  voltage or am I worrying too much? If it is, is there anyway to alter the setting on the Victron?

You seem to have got your 10s mixed up or missed out the word below. At 10 deg ambient temp then that's 15deg below 25 not 10.

My batteries are at 17deg at present (measured on solar controller) and are floating (using the Victron combi as its winter) between 14.1/14.2v when set at 13.8v 

Ill leave you to do the maths.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

You seem to have got your 10s mixed up or missed out the word below. At 10 deg ambient temp then that's 15deg below 25 not 10.

My batteries are at 17deg at present (measured on solar controller) and are floating (using the Victron combi as its winter) between 14.1/14.2v when set at 13.8v 

Ill leave you to do the maths.

Yes sorry I did the maths wrong as you say and I should multiply by 1.5. But that will still give a compensated voltage of 14.65 which is well below what I saw today. Main question is, will I be damaging Gel batteries if they are being charged at up to 14.8V or is there a way to alter this?

25 minutes ago, GeoffS said:

Yes sorry I did the maths wrong as you say and I should multiply by 1.5. But that will still give a compensated voltage of 14.65 which is well below what I saw today. Main question is, will I be damaging Gel batteries if they are being charged at up to 14.8V or is there a way to alter this?

No way to alter it that I know of.

However if you are really worried about it you could remove the temp sensor and just set the voltage using the computer to whatever the average temp was for that season. Whether this would have any unintended consequences I cant say but you would have to reset the voltages probably monthly.

One downside I can think of is I think that the victron shuts down if the temp is to high and you would lose that safety.

ETA

Just realised that there was a load on mine when I looked at the voltage, with load removed it dropped 0.25v did you have a load on yours?

Edited by Loddon

19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No way to alter it that I know of.

However if you are really worried about it you could remove the temp sensor and just set the voltage using the computer to whatever the average temp was for that season. Whether this would have any unintended consequences I cant say but you would have to reset the voltages probably monthly.

One downside I can think of is I think that the victron shuts down if the temp is to high and you would lose that safety.

ETA

Just realised that there was a load on mine when I looked at the voltage, with load removed it dropped 0.25v did you have a load on yours?

Only load would be 12v fridge as and when it kicked in. But the 14.8 was constant over several hours.