Continuous cruising along the river avon?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Johny London said:

I'm hoping to do the Avon between Bath and Hanham this week. No one has mentioned if there is the possibility to moor just west of lock 1 (according to the crt map there is the last little bit of crt water after this lock and google shows a couple of boats hanging on). It would be ideal to "complete" this stretch by doing lock 1, over nighting then heading back.

Also I would like to stop half way ish in each direction, Mead Lane looking favourite. Wanderer Vagabonds good mooring spot by the railway path (in the google image above) is down on crt map as no mooring? I find the lack of mooring quite worrying.

On the CRT map a red mooring post is a mooring, which is what is shown at the railway path. If I recall correctly it was a 24 hour mooring point.

image.png.ecfbabdc4b75346669ef740b0ad884d3.png

Does anyone know if the two elsan points on the canal map in saltford and swineford lock are openable with a CCer key? I've noticed recently that some elsan points in Bath are private and not openable. For example Bathhampton Swing Bridge...

• 2 weeks later...

If the Saltford one is in the marina it is only for moorers.

Swineford is probably the same

I have only found facilities in Bristol harbour and Bath marina (also a caravan site) or Bath narrow boats and CRT at Dundas  and Bradford on Avon. Then Sally boats, ABC and the Boatyard at Trowbridge 

12 hours ago, adrianh said:

If the Saltford one is in the marina it is only for moorers.

Swineford is probably the same

I have only found facilities in Bristol harbour and Bath marina (also a caravan site) or Bath narrow boats and CRT at Dundas  and Bradford on Avon. Then Sally boats, ABC and the Boatyard at Trowbridge 

I see people mooring on mead lane and around saltfard, do you have any idea how they might be emptying their cassettes?

3 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

I see people mooring on mead lane and around saltfard, do you have any idea how they might be emptying their cassettes?

They might have pump outs. How do you know they have cassettes?

But assuming your assumption is correct, yes I do have an idea...

4 hours ago, Tasemu said:

I see people mooring on mead lane and around Saltford, do you have any idea how they might be emptying their cassettes?

beginning to wonder if there is some pee taking going on here. ....  no I don't and I don't know where they shop for smoked salmon either.

obviously:

- if they are just passing through they will do it next time they pass a facility (unless is blocked by moored crusties which is the fashion on this bit of river).  

- if they moor there habitually and park their car alongside and just use the boat as a holiday home at weekends they prob'ly take it home with them.

Just north of Saltford, there is mooring for boats on the left (heading north) when I went past I wanted to investigate but I was towing another boat that had asked for help, and I couldn't see what the signs said. But worth a look. 

There are quite a few "possible" looking spots to rough moor but tyring to find ones where you can get the boat near enough or find anything to tie onto is tricky - prolly be ok if not single handed.
Mead Lane (that's the one by the railway path?) is over taken by crusties - so either make friends with them or give it a miss.

Swineford there are facilities but as I mentioned in another post, it has moored boats blocking it - so it's a hassle at best, here's what the signs say...

DSC_0015.JPG

Edited by Johny London

• 1 month later...