Building New Cratch Board.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Marley Blue 6 said:

Hi 

I’m building a new cratch board with windows in for my NB, anyone got experience or advise on the best type of wood to use? 

Thanks 

Aj 

Any decent hardwood that’s not too expensive. It kinda depends on the rest of your boat. Oak is an obvious choice for a light finish or one of the ‘mahogany’ types - utile being better than sapele - if you want a reddish tone. Teak or cedar would last forever but are difficult to work with and very expensive. Idigbo is similar in appearance to oak, usually a bit cheaper, and takes a finish well. On balance if I was after a pale finish I’d probably plump for idigbo. Note that all hardwoods will blunt your tools quickly, some more than others. 

Note also that oak, idigbo, teak or cedar can last well with no protection but will go grey if unprotected. Mahogany must be treated. An oiled finish will need constant maintenance. A water-based varnish will fail. An oil-based finish such as Le Tonkenois will last for years. 

Of course, you could also use softwood if it has been pressure treated and if you are happy to paint it yearly. 

I have made quite a few from Iroko, good colour, easy to work and very rot resistant. Takes waterproof PVA better than some oily woods. Not expensive.

6mm polycarbonate for glazing, stand the odd crash into lock entrances and trees very well. One of my commissions had a heavy impact which cracked the wood at the corner but did not break the poly. Was able to simply glue the woodwork back together.

I have made quite a few from Iroko, good colour, easy to work and very rot resistant. Takes waterproof PVA better than some oily woods. Not expensive.

6mm polycarbonate for glazing, stand the odd crash into lock entrances and trees very well. One of my commissions had a heavy impact which cracked the wood at the corner but did not break the poly. Was able to simply glue the woodwork back together.

Iroko,  mahogony, oak any good hardwood. The first two would be more expensive woods to buy but oak would cost less and still give you many years of service if sealed with a microporus stained varnish.  The stain helps keep the UV rays off the wood and so will last longer. I made mine in Iroko as i had some left over from a project & a number of years on is still giving good service.

Some years ago I was at P.J.Barbers workshop and he very proudly showed me round 'Whitby' which he had just finished  (if you ever 'finish' an old working boat) renovating, and much of the wood was in fact plastic. Low maintenance, long lasting and it looked like wood to me. Might be worth thinking about.