Brexit thread appears multiple times

Featured Posts

I always view Unread topics with the filter "Showing topics I have not read and posted in for the last 7 days."

Normally each unread topic appears just once regardless of how many new posts have been made in it. However the Brexit thread appears once for every new post that has been made, so it swamps the list - and I don't even read that thread.

Can this be fixed somehow?

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

I always view Unread topics with the filter "Showing topics I have not read and posted in for the last 7 days."

Normally each unread topic appears just once regardless of how many new posts have been made in it. However the Brexit thread appears once for every new post that has been made, so it swamps the list - and I don't even read that thread.

If the majority vote is adhered to as ratified by an act of parliament then this situation will not happen after 29th of march ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

This was raised some months ago and the answer is "its part of the forum software"

(It appears that a popular thread will 'self-select' and post each reply separately)

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This was raised some months ago and the answer is "its part of the forum software"

(It appears that a popular thread will 'self-select' and post each reply separately)

When I used to write software we called this type of feature a "bug"

• Greenie 1

This is not how the default view new content should work.

It may be that some members have a customer stream setup which behaves slightly different. Most likely the setting is that you have 'items comments and reviews' selected rather than 'items only' as per the below screenshot. 

If not, let me or @RichM know and we will look in more detail. 

Daniel

Screenshot_20190307-124552_Brave.jpg

Thanks Daniel.

Yes, it's a custom stream. The settings are as follows:

Show me: Content items only

Content Types: Topics

Read Status: Content I haven't read; Unread item links take me to the first unread comment

Ownership: Everything

Following: Everything

Time Period: Specified number of days = 7

Sorting: Newest activity first

Cheers - Allan

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This happened a few months ago and it was something to do with the database and the size of the thread, which is why it got closed and a sorta duplicate thread opened to allow the debate/bickering to continue 

And now the current thread has got back up to 10 zillion posts (that will not change the fact we will get what we get) -  the 'repeats' are happening again.

4 hours ago, DHutch said:

This is not how the default view new content should work.

It occurs in the default "view new content" feature.

It may be that some members have a customer stream setup which behaves slightly different.

See above - this is occurring in the default "view new content" feature, not a custom stream.

Most likely the setting is that you have 'items comments and reviews' selected rather than 'items only' as per the below screenshot. 

If not, let me or @RichM know and we will look in more detail. 

Daniel

Its a long-standing issue which was not resolved, but probably just temporarily circumvented, last time. Shouldn't need to split/mess about with threads really.

I'm aware there where issues with the previous Brexit threads length, but I don't think this is related to the issue here.

I use the default 'view new content' search as far as I can tell, and do not get the results seen. I can get 3-4 pages down and just see the one Brexit record.

Daniel

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

I use the default 'view new content' search as far as I can tell, and do not get the results seen. I can get 3-4 pages down and just see the one Brexit record.

Consider yourself lucky!

This doesn't only happen with the Brexit thread - it can happen with any that has a high posting rate, (and not necessarily a large overall number of posts).

13 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

At the moment the posting rate in the Brexit thread has slowed down, so the problem is not showing itself.

But now that there are more postings it appears in my list 3 times

Surely this isn't that difficult of a technical issue to sort out? You simply look at the webpage code which is generating the content which has (a) thread(s) appearing multiple times, and review/fix the faulty code. And if that's too much, report it as an issue to Invision (which the site pays for) for them to fix. It occurring because the thread is "too long" sounds like an excuse......