First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

For a lifestyle/hobby/interest/whatever you want to call it that is supposed to be calming, relaxing and a way to unwind, there sure is a load of grumpy buggers on the cut.

I am deciding most of them are just on the forums, to busy on here to be on the cut.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Could you tell us who you sent the complaint to /what email address? I have still received no reply to my complaint about Wigan volockies which I sent to the NW office in mid-July.

Sent it via the contact form on the CRT website

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You may be interested in reading this blog as to what the next move is for a Volockie, so they will be able to stop you entering a lock maybe

https://nbfreespirit.blogspot.com/2019/09/completely-baffled-by-it.html

It just gets worse! Mind you, if one claims to be colour blind presumably one can’t be expected to obey coloured flags!

So how do they ask whether you want their assistance, before waving a flag. What happens if you don't want help but they've red flagged you and you ignore it? Yellow card? 

Just thought of the solution, No help required, fly the Jolly Rodger! Arrr! If they don't listen, fire the cannon of grapeshot. That'll learn em. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It just gets worse! Mind you, if one claims to be colour blind presumably one can’t be expected to obey coloured flags!

I am red green coloured blind, there is no way I’d see which is which from a distance. 

But I can tell the difference between open and closed gates (when close enough).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You may be interested in reading this blog as to what the next move is for a Volockie, so they will be able to stop you entering a lock maybe

This has to be a windup.  I thought it was clear that the volunteers had no authority, therefore they can not tell to stop, they are only there to do what you want, if you want anything surely.

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

This has to be a windup.  I thought it was clear that the volunteers had no authority, therefore they can not tell to stop, they are only there to do what you want, if you want anything surely.

They have had this silly thing in place at Barrow Deep on the Soar for a few years, I was told off for dropping crew off instead of sailing straight into the lock(which they were still trying to get the gates open). 

The daft thing is, their chairs flags and umbrella arent in sight of boats approaching from the river below, which is where the scheme would actually be of benefit.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They have had this silly thing in place at Barrow Deep on the Soar for a few years, I was told off for dropping crew off instead of sailing straight into the lock(which they were still trying to get the gates open). 

The daft thing is, their chairs flags and umbrella arent in sight of boats approaching from the river below, which is where the scheme would actually be of benefit.

I will look forward to the first one that starts waving flags at me ;)

Mrs-M read that blog post last night, my response was if someone is waving a flag I will be stopping to tell them to move away from the lock and leave me to operate it.

When we came through Wilmcote a couple of weeks back the volunteers said they had never had a boat pass through so quickly, maybe it was to do with me asking them to set ahead and close up behind me leaving me to work the boat through the lock.

• Greenie 1

On 16/09/2019 at 18:08, ditchcrawler said:

Here is an update to the flag posting, maybe something to watch out for if you are that way https://nbfreespirit.blogspot.com/2019/09/an-apology-was-not-forthcoming.html

30 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Someone should tell the volunteer with the flag to go and play with the traffic on the roads.

After all carrying a flag used to be a tradition there, so his efforts might be appreciated more. ?

Check the update - there is no volunteer with a flag, just a plonker with a CRT type jacket. And a flag. 

Actually, I have long equated flag flyers in general with plonkerdom, whether they be in houses, boats or wandering up and down the towpath. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Check the update - there is no volunteer with a flag, just a plonker with a CRT type jacket. And a flag. 

Actually, I have long equated flag flyers in general with plonkerdom, whether they be in houses, boats or wandering up and down the towpath. 

But as Matty says there’s definitely flag waving at Barrow deep, has been for years. And as he also said it’s in the wrong place to be of any help.

22 minutes ago, aracer said:

ISTM that in mid September the thread title is getting a bit old given the vlockies seem to be disappearing ? (I certainly met none at all during my week cruising at the start of October last year)

So you are saying CRT have a Volockie season the same as they claim there is a boating season?:captain::ninja:

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So you are saying CRT have a Volockie season the same as they claim there is a boating season?:captain::ninja:

I don't know about an official season but I have been told by a Volockie that they didn't come out in October.

Edited by Jerra

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm suggesting the vlockies have a vlockie season - certainly I didn't encounter any in places which have been mentioned on here, or where I've encountered them since.