First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You are if I may say so being more than a little silly.  Other people enjoying their boating is fine what I don't want is people deliberately reducing my enjoyment when they aren't boating.

Yeah, but what if the people on the boat coming the other way also get their enjoyment out of doing locks - surely it's in both of your interests for them to shut the gates after they leave so that they get the pleasure of that and you then get the pleasure of opening them again?

I'm really struggling to see what difference it makes to you whether the locks are set for you by happy coincidence or because of the actions of a volockie. I think I have the answer though. Maybe when you're on a flight where the locks are set in your favour you could sent the volockie ahead to unset them ?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

being aware of a boat coming up or down behind me, when I've finished in the lock I open a paddle to prepare the lock for this following boat (unless I pass or see someone coming from the opposite direction). Foolishly I thought that this was being helpful, should I now stop doing this?:unsure:

We once did this for the boat following us up Wigan flight, and that evening he was whining on Farcebook about the boat ahead of him going up the flight.

"Good quick run up Wigan today but the boat ahead of us  didn't put any of the anti-vandal locks back on and they had left a paddle open on every single lock!"

Shame he didn't mention it to us one lock up so we could have stopped doing it for him ...

• Horror 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

We once did this for the boat following us up Wigan flight, and that evening he was whining on Farcebook about the boat ahead of him going up the flight.

"Good quick run up Wigan today but the boat ahead of us  didn't put any of the anti-vandal locks back on and they had left a paddle open on every single lock!"

Shame he didn't mention it to us one lock up so we could have stopped doing it for him ...

Just carn't win can you, did you put the gent right about what you were doing?

We followed a hire boat today and they kindly put a single paddle up for us as they left each lock where there was nothing coming down.

More than happy for anyone to prepare the next lock in advance, just don't work my lock unless I ask you to.

25 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We followed a hire boat today and they kindly put a single paddle up for us as they left each lock where there was nothing coming down.

More than happy for anyone to prepare the next lock in advance, just don't work my lock unless I ask you to.

I met a hire boat on the Tardebigge flight who left all the bottom gates open, 5 locks ready for us, I bet the boat following them wasnt so pleased if they had done that all the way from the top

21 hours ago, john6767 said:

That is true, but as we know it is not how it always works, they go ahead and do stuff without your permission, it’s not easy in practice to stop them always and sometimes easier to let it go.

And there is the issue.

They are supposed to ask, but asking means they could be told "no", and they really want to play with the locks, so it suits their ambitions for the day to not ask, and instead rely on you going out of your way to say no.

Of course, saying no when they have already started means either shouting to them, which you don't want to do, or leaving the helm in a lock which you don't want to do, so refusing is rather difficult.

What follows from that is that they assume consent, and very few people explicitly refuse, or complain (they may not have wanted help, but easier to say nothing now), so they justify to themselves that it is OK to do this.

That is why it is important to challenge incorrect procedures.

3 minutes ago, mayalld said:

They are supposed to ask, but asking means they could be told "no", and they really want to play with the locks, so it suits their ambitions for the day to not ask, and instead rely on you going out of your way to say no.

I would like to think that they all probably did ask shortly after they started / received training. But after always hearing "yes please" asking became pointless / needless.

I imagine it's a very small proportion of boaters that say no thanks

5 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I would like to think that they all probably did ask shortly after they started / received training. But after always hearing "yes please" asking became pointless / needless.

I imagine it's a very small proportion of boaters that say no thanks

My 'yes please' would need to be more complicated than that. 

Vollie: "Do you want help with this lock?"

Me: "Yes please by all means open and close the gates but I'll do the paddles myself, thanks!"

Vollie: "Can't hear you, was that yes?"

Well had a good one today called Chris on the Hatton flight. he met me as I was about to enter the top lock with some information, 2 single boats going down who had now got together and one a long way down coming up. I said I would wait in the top lock to see if anyone else came along,  A hire boat did but I waited while they filled with water and joined us, Chris came back and as Diana was setting the next lock gave the young lad from the other boat a hand swinging gates. We met the other boat at the CRT Yard and Chris had told the volockie coming up with them so we had a couple of gates open ready, after that Chris worked ahead getting the next one ready or just assisting if Diana had gone ahead, we did this for ten locks with us when we met a single boat with just a couple onboard so he shouted to us he would help them back up. No interference just like another crew member. 

Shortly after leaving him we met another Volockie walking up for their dinner I would guess, we had just left the lock and the ladies were closing up. The volockie didn't even bother to mention there was a boat , single handed about to leave the next lock coming towards us so our crew closed up?

Just finished this years extended cruise and have encountered numerous Volockies on our travels and must say overall IMHO they provide an excellent service. 

I respect boaters preference for doing the locks themselves but on flights such as Watford and Foxton, the Vlockies are essential to keep the whole process moving along efficiently, particularly with their assistance to solo boaters. 

Incoming...

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Eldog said:

Just finished this years extended cruise and have encountered numerous Volockies on our travels and must say overall IMHO they provide an excellent service. 

There are two ways in which the service can be excellent;

1) You wish to use that service, and it is provided well.

2) You do not wish to use that service, and it is efficiently ascertained that it is not required.

Otherwise, it is just the same as politely and efficiently helping old ladies across the road who wanted to be on the side where you found them

• Haha 3

For a lifestyle/hobby/interest/whatever you want to call it that is supposed to be calming, relaxing and a way to unwind, there sure is a load of grumpy buggers on the cut.

1 minute ago, NB Caelmiri said:

For a lifestyle/hobby/interest/whatever you want to call it that is supposed to be calming, relaxing and a way to unwind, there sure is a load of grumpy buggers on the cut.

I’m not just grumpy on the cut....I’m grumpy all the time! 

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Yes, and most of them have blue T shirts on!

Couldnt be grumpy today, lovely mornings boating and met by considerate and pleasant people.

in spite of us being on one of the shallowest canals we had no issues apart from a bit of rock and roll.

All those who say the Ashby is too shallow simply do not know how to boat it.

however the overhanging branches are getting dangerous.

only grumpy bit was pulling up at bosworth to remind tenants that paying the rent is part of renting a flat..

• Happy 1

18 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Perhaps being grumpy IS our hobby!

BTW, I have had a phone call from CRT regarding my complaint.

The Volunteer engagement co-ordinator fully agrees that the volunteers MUST ask first, and that the issues reported are not the way that volunteers are to act.

He has details of those involved, and they will be spoken to.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mayalld said:

The Volunteer engagement co-ordinator fully agrees that the volunteers MUST ask first, and that the issues reported are not the way that volunteers are to act.

Sounds like a good result, nice one. Shows the value of giving feedback.

1 hour ago, mayalld said:

Could you tell us who you sent the complaint to /what email address? I have still received no reply to my complaint about Wigan volockies which I sent to the NW office in mid-July.