First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol yes. 

In addition to all the traditional boating skills we now need to develop a 21st century one. "Vollie management". 

I think this is going to run and run and run. The (few) rogue vollies regard "their" lock as "their" domain and in their tiny minds you may pass through it but you must do it their way. The meek and mild submit to their domination without question and get through with no conflict and post on here about how lovely the experience was.

Others of us are developing the skill of "vollie management" but when we get it wrong, sparks fly.  

Get one of them big speakers of yours blasting this at them:

My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

Etc etc..... 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Get one of them big speakers of yours blasting this at them:

My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

Etc etc..... 

Ah yes, my fave Sex Pistols composition. 

I'll try that!

(That Frank bloke wrecked it, don'tcher think??)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We are doing ok so far on this trip as the vollies must be on holiday or not working bank holiday weekends. We have come through Fradley locks and Curdworth locks today and there hasn't been a single volunteer on any of the locks.

I reckon CRT should change volunteer lockies to be a bookable service where you can ring a central number and request assistance on a flight of locks at a given time. That way only those that want help and book it will receive it.

Must say the Fradley ones who indicate to each other which way boats are going at the junction cottoned on to a good idea. Saves leaving or closing gates only to find the oncoming boat is going somewhere you didn't expect. I still get off when they say stay on the boat and wind the paddles how I want to.

17 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

A few firm words last year to the pack at the tea hut at lock 21 and we appear to be on their avoid list. They have not attempted to assist us since. Maybe they have a list of boatowners to avoid.

possibly worth enquiring for membership before you have the confrontation

I think you might be right about the list....after an full & frank discussion about how to lower the Ham Baker paddle gear a few years ago we are now firmly left to ourselves which suits us just fine. 

Edited by frangar

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We dont need no education

we dont need your paddle control

no stark interference in our locking

Verlocky leave my lock alone

hey verlocky leave my locks alone

all in all its just another brick out of the walls

all in all your just banging bricks out of the wall

off to take my medication now

Lyrics by Our Waters. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I did not give them permission to do that, there were 4 of them one on each gate, and the two at the top just opened both top paddles without asking. As you know it is very difficult when they just go ahead with what they want to do when you are on the boat.  Perhaps I worded it badly, in that I was not asked what I wanted them to do, they just when ahead before my wife had arrived at the lock.  I guess I could have just waited outside the lock until she was there, but I would bet that the guy on the offside would have opened the paddle irrespective if what she said we wanted.  Having this “help” at one lock in 21 is NOT help.  Having said that on a different occasion we have had good help at Hatton even though it is only ever on the top half of the flight.  

Ok well I understand that in the heat of the moment it is easy to be caught off guard and end up with stuff happening around you. But next time, shout loudly at them to STOP (add in a few swear words), in front of the gongoozlers  or maybe sound your horn continuously until they stop. Every time their behaviour is tacitly condoned, it is reinforced.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Ok well I understand that in the heat of the moment it is easy to be caught off guard and end up with stuff happening around you. But next time, shout loudly at them to STOP (add in a few swear words), in front of the gongoozlers  or maybe sound your horn continuously until they stop. Every time their behaviour is tacitly condoned, it is reinforced.

When this happened at Blackburn this year I shouted to drop that paddle and he did. He went off muttering but after leaving the lock Jeannette explained why and he was fine after that.

His female colleague was great by the way.

10 hours ago, frangar said:

I think you might be right about the list....after an full & frank discussion about how to lower the Ham Baker paddle gear a few years ago we are now firmly left to ourselves which suits us just fine. 

Did the locksmurfs say it was hydraulic?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I suppose that depends if the liveaboards move

I move all the time, every two weeks or less. Three times in the last two weeks, in fact. As I say, not all of us have the luxury of doing this purely for a hobby.

I think a large sign reading "No volunteer lock assistant help required - please stand away from the paddles" sign on the front of the roof should do the trick.

No words need to be exchanged. If they persist, then they are in clear breach of their instructions from CRT.

3 minutes ago, billS said:

I think a large sign reading "No volunteer lock assistant help required - please stand away from the paddles" sign on the front of the roof should do the trick.

No words need to be exchanged. If they persist, then they are in clear breach of their instructions from CRT.

Yeabut they will still stand there tutting at one’s every perceived mis-action and pointing out to the gongoozlers how awful boaters are.

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

I did not give them permission to do that, there were 4 of them one on each gate, and the two at the top just opened both top paddles without asking. As you know it is very difficult when they just go ahead with what they want to do when you are on the boat.  Perhaps I worded it badly, in that I was not asked what I wanted them to do, they just when ahead before my wife had arrived at the lock.  I guess I could have just waited outside the lock until she was there, but I would bet that the guy on the offside would have opened the paddle irrespective if what she said we wanted.  Having this “help” at one lock in 21 is NOT help.  Having said that on a different occasion we have had good help at Hatton even though it is only ever on the top half of the flight.  

You acquiesced to their actions.

They have absolutely zero authority to require the lock to be done in a particular way. They have absolutely zero authority to even touch the lock without seeking your permission.

If they didn't ask for permission, and you said nothing, you accepted the situation. You could have said "excuse me, I do not require your assistance, please leave the lock to me"

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Yeabut they will still stand there tutting at one’s every perceived mis-action and pointing out to the gongoozlers how awful boaters are.

Ok - then add "I need the exercise" to the notice - that should spike their guns.

33 minutes ago, billS said:

The point is you shouldn’t have to have a big sign...

besides some roofs are already full with slow down / please do or do not breast up  signs etc...

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I reckon CRT should change volunteer lockies to be a bookable service where you can ring a central number and request assistance on a flight of locks at a given time. That way only those that want help and book it will receive it.

Which would result in some of those who most need help not getting it.

50 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

The point is you shouldn’t have to have a big sign...

My thoughts entirely.  However I suspect that if volunteers were told in no uncertain terms not to help unless asked CRT would get far fewer volunteers and so don't say it as forcefully as they should.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

My thoughts entirely.  However I suspect that if volunteers were told in no uncertain terms not to help unless asked CRT would get far fewer volunteers and so don't say it as forcefully as they should.

... if CaRT instructed them not to help with locking a boat unless asked but to help by setting locks ready they would still get to play locks and nobody would object to them being in charge of a lock not yet in use.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

... if CaRT instructed them not to help with locking a boat unless asked but to help by setting locks ready they would still get to play locks and nobody would object to them being in charge of a lock not yet in use.

True.  However for the likes of MtB and myself they are taking away the fun of working the lock when we get to it.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

True.  However for the likes of MtB and myself they are taking away the fun of working the lock when we get to it.

You would work it. It would just either be full if going down or empty if going up.