First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind about that, what about the boaters who persist in using the term 'driving the boat'?!!

One steers a narrow boat, one doesn't drive it, as any fule kno!

I hate it when two try to do it at the same time.

Edited by Mike Todd

48 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Well, that's quite handy - warns you that there is an idiot coming.

I like my Captains hat, I won it in a raffle and its ideal for keeping the sun out of my eyes, plus other boaters keep out of your way. Yes Loddon   I still have it

Edited by ditchcrawler

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I like my Captains hat, I won it in a raffle and its ideal for keeping the sun out of my eyes, plus other boaters keep out of your way. Yes Loddon   I still have it

I hope you have allowed the brass to tarnish to indicate that you are an old salt? Shiny brass hats are so last year.

Howard

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you wear it with your Santa outfit when boating?

19 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Konnichiwa!

Gesundheit!

(Je suis désolé, couldn't resist such a good feeder line...)

What are your thoughts on keeping a little one out of the modern school system?

I've been retired for 5 years & have kept well away from schools since then.?

22 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Oyyyyy,what is wrong with ex teachers? I'm not a volockie but I am an absolutely lovely ex teacher,ex teachers aren't all bolshy g**s you know.?Other half is a volly in Brum & does help boaters with the locks if  they desire help.He doesn't force himself upon them...?

Apology for the sweeping generalisation and any offense caused. Regretably my experience of  several teachers was seriously negative. 

im sure that some people who met me professionaly would also describe the experience as negative.

• 3 months later...
On 06/03/2019 at 15:20, nicknorman said:

Exactly. I have no problem with, in fact am grateful for, Volocky assistance. But not when they take control and stop you operating the lock in the usual way.

So quite clearly you are a Volocky. And seemingly with a bit of a chip, unable to see that not everyone wants help let alone to be controlled. If you regularly encounter boaters who give you grief, perhaps that is a clue that your approach is wrong?

Some locks don't operate in the way you would hope/expect them to. 

8 minutes ago, Gallyleigho said:

Lock 1, Leigh Branch of Leeds and Liverpool. If all four head paddles aren't used you will sit there for hours draining the pound above you.

Why wouldn’t you use all four paddles when going up any lock?

• Greenie 1

Quite right.  Leaking tailgates on the L&L in Wigan are the cause of this.  Same happens on Locks 87 (Dry Dock)  86 (Henhurst) 79, 74, 67.

Unbelievable how some with one narrowboat in the chamber will fight with the gates before going over to the other side to lift the other paddles.  Meanwhile, all the water is leaking away from the pound above.  By the time a level is made and the headgate can be opened they can't get over the sill.

Conversely, some of the headgates leak badly, and if both tailgate paddles aren't lifted it's hard work and water again goes down the pan.  Examples are 88, 80, 71, 70, 69.