First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, haza said:

no mike i did not .read all of it . but to be honest i got board with it .like i do with most of the long threads on here ,i read maybe the first 5/6 and maybe the last 5/6 and thats me done ..if any one thinks thats bad of me .tough .just saying ..so mike do you read everything thats put up on here then ??

Don't go on the Brexit thread then, WotEver you do. You are expected to have read the whole thread, and the previous one before commenting:)

6 minutes ago, haza said:

no mike i did not .read all of it . but to be honest i got board with it .like i do with most of the long threads on here ,i read maybe the first 5/6 and maybe the last 5/6 and thats me done ..if any one thinks thats bad of me .tough .just saying ..so mike do you read everything thats put up on here then ??

No i dont read everything on here, but i do read everything inna thread before passing comment! Brexit thread excepted, obvs! 

• Greenie 1

well one dont have to comment on every thing one reads .just the ones they do ,but then again i could be wrong .thats my excuse and i am sticking with it ..brexit ,whats that ??never heard of it

9 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Will these volockies, or whatever they are, report you for things like pushing gates open with the boat and other sins?

One was going to report me for flipping the pawl back while WINDING the paddle down, I should have held it just above the cam apparently.

20 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

You can fly the Red Duster between the hours of 8 am and 9 pm (or dusk).  If you are a member of the Armed Forces, you may fly the defaced flag.

You may not fly the Union Flag, under punishment of death.

Anyone flying the EU flag risks being rammed and sunk. 

I believe a boat (or ship) wears  a flag.

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Will these volockies, or whatever they are, report you for things like pushing gates open with the boat and other sins?

What do you think the (whatever they are, or aren't) should do?

Boater A damaging canal infrastructure under the nose of 'volockies, or whatever they are'.

Boater B witnesses this.

Should 'volockies, or whatever they are'  Report, grass-up, tell tales about boater A, or keep their meddling noses out?

Meanwhile, boater B is first in the queue to demand 'volockies, or whatever they are,' report what has just happened.

Catch 22?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

One was going to report me for flipping the pawl back while WINDING the paddle down, I should have held it just above the cam apparently.

In which case he will certainly be reporting me for controlling the paddles down with my  hand on the bar.

"am I bovvered?"

George

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would have told him to FO

Many new pawls on GU south you cant lift more than half inch up because of the silly bobbles on sticks they have added to them.

If I had stayed on carps system they would have come off every time I found one. Bloody dangerous idea.
I'm free at last no more volockies for me

I've had a lecture about that too, and one telling me always to put the pawl back and another telling me to leave it off. I always agree, thank them for the advice and carry on regardless.

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Never do it when anyone is watching . You know how to do it right, I know how to do it right, the inexperienced person watching thinks "what a good idea" and takes the next gate off its bearings. 

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Never do it when anyone is watching

Oh dear, I must have taught 36 kids all sorts of bad things when we were running camping trips.  I am sure they have forgotten by now.

It's sad, but the more I read on these forums, the more I am glad that I am out of it all now.  We had good times, I even forgive BWB - they weren't so bad really.

33 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I would have told him to FO

Many new pawls on GU south you cant lift more than half inch up because of the silly bobbles on sticks they have added to them.

If I had stayed on carps system they would have come off every time I found one. Bloody dangerous idea.
I'm free at last no more volockies for me

It was a she. as George said, am I bovered?

33 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've had a lecture about that too, and one telling me always to put the pawl back and another telling me to leave it off. I always agree, thank them for the advice and carry on regardless. 

This is while I was winding, I did put it on afterwards.

1 hour ago, Pagefield said:

Boater A damaging canal infrastructure

Of course that should be reported. 

Gently pushing gates with the boat does no harm, nor does dropping paddles while controlling them with your grip.

My query was in regard to what authority they have.  Thames lockies used to have the power of arrest.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Under what legislation was that granted.  It seems a strange power to give to a fairly limited group.

I imagine it was a fairly limited extent of power too, unlikely to extend beyond likely transgressions of safety in the vicinity of his lock. Who knows though - maybe he was charged with protecting the Queen's swans or summink? 

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Quite right, but some may not understand.

That is a little condescending. I for one understand perfectly, and wearing is often used to describe the deployment of flags,  but it is often dangerous to be quite so dogmatic.I have "flown"  flags for many, many years, on umpteen ships. Why don't you check the flaginstitute.org web site where you will see that they also frequently refer to flying flags, and you may learn more about flags in general.

Not that it matters a jot. 

Howard

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Never do it when anyone is watching . You know how to do it right, I know how to do it right, the inexperienced person watching thinks "what a good idea" and takes the next gate off its bearings

How do you become experienced without experience?  Serious question.

It was a she. as George said, am I bovered?

I think the same thing was said to me at Fradley but I am a bit deaf so  didn't hear her properly and carried on then asked what she had said when I was finished . She wasn't best pleased ? 

haggis

• Haha 2