First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Just saying like...........arrived at Beeston Lock yesterday afternoon. Two, perhaps three volockies, third in same coloured polo shirt. As we were coming off the river onto the canal use daily section the levels were very close. My expert and superb crew member was actively scratching her head. (Must get nit treatment). I tied up and walked over to the lock. Volockies looking on but in deep conversation with passers by. No intension to assist. Got through Lock okay. Stopped for water and gash ditching duties. Crew member went across to waste compound to be 'assaulted' by said mature lady wanting wifey (I dislike at term, must stop using it) to sign up to CRT Assist or whatever it's referred to. Showing graphs of the decline of funds available. Lots of pressure. (No need for that). Anyway my wife returned to boat flustered and annoyed at the same time, not wanting to be rude, as I think I may have been, didn't know what to say. It really gave the wrong impression to the missus (I hate that term, must stop using it) and I. Joe Public must believe this nonsense. They shouldn't. Remind me, how much is Mr Parry and his fellow directors on? 

I dont 'alf feel better for getter that off me chest.

Where they volockies or meet and greeters?

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same, we miss doing locks when on the likes of the Bridgewater and Weaver

Sometimes on the Thames, the keeper is not available.  Hard work, but if he has left the power on, the right box-spanner comes in handy 

(I didn't tell you that).

10 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Sometimes on the Thames, the keeper is not available.  Hard work, but if he has left the power on, the right box-spanner comes in handy 

(I didn't tell you that).

I don't think you can have been on the Thames for a good many years! Nowadays the power remains on (at reduced rate) when the lockie is not on duty (i.e. most of the time) so boaters can work the locks themselves without having to work up a sweat.

Good thing too as few locks are manned now, except the busy spots and at peak periods. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think you can have been on the Thames for a good many years!

Not since good old Thames Conservancy days. 

I would think it is a bit dangerous to allow complete amateurs to work the locks under power, particularly if there are several boats in it.  Maybe the sluices don't open as far as they used to.

2 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Not since good old Thames Conservancy days. 

I would think it is a bit dangerous to allow complete amateurs to work the locks under power, particularly if there are several boats in it.  Maybe the sluices don't open as far as they used to.

The rot started when it changed to the Environment Agency. And yes the paddles only ever open about half way, and slower too. Agree about the danger though. I've had a row with a half-pissed boater starting to operate the lock before another boater in the lock was tied and ready.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The rot started when it changed to the Environment Agency. And yes the paddles only ever open about half way, and slower too. Agree about the danger though. I've had a row with a half-pissed boater starting to operate the lock before another boater in the lock was tied and ready.

No-one in charge - accident waiting to happen.  Lockies had the power to arrest drunks and other undesirables.  And anyone flying the Red Duster improperly.

25 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

No-one in charge - accident waiting to happen.  Lockies had the power to arrest drunks and other undesirables.  And anyone flying the Red Duster improperly.

Quite right too, although I thought that only the Blue was allowed on the Thames?:captain:

Howard

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Quite right too, although I thought that only the Blue was allowed on the Thames?:captain:

Howard

You can fly the Red Duster between the hours of 8 am and 9 pm (or dusk).  If you are a member of the Armed Forces, you may fly the defaced flag.

You may not fly the Union Flag, under punishment of death.

Anyone flying the EU flag risks being rammed and sunk. 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If They only open half way and it it slower, that would give you more time to enjoy the architecture.

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

You can fly the Red Duster between the hours of 8 am and 9 pm (or dusk).  If you are a member of the Armed Forces, you may fly the defaced flag.

Any particular thoughts on the Jolly Roger?

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Iyou obviously didn't see the tongue in my cheek. However, thanks for your advice, but you don't have to be a member of the armed forces to fly a defaced Red Ensign. There are many organisations that can, but let's not wake up that old chestnut, please!

Howard

10 hours ago, rgreg said:

I know we've had this discussion before and, like you, I enjoy working locks myself and don't need or particularly want help. Having said that, I've had mostly courteous and pleasant experiences with the many volockies I have met on my travels,  and they are only present on a fraction of the locks worked overall.  

I Just accept that the volunteer role gives others the opportunity to get involved with the added benefit that many boaters appreciate their assistance with the caveat, of course, that this needs to be done to a satisfactory standard.

On balance, I just feel that people are more ready to criticise than praise.

Most volockies are fine. Pleasant, interested etc. But inevitably when you take on a bunch of random members of the public to train as volockies, there will be a few bad apples. Where CRT fall down is in their poor supervision and failure to detect and retrain or eliminate those bad apples.

Still no reply from Sue Blocksidge or anyone else from CRT about my feedback/complaint, despite me sending a chasing email last week. The volunteer supervisors simply don’t give a shit what boaters think of the volunteers. Boaters are just fodder for the volockies to entertain themselves with.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Most volockies are fine. Pleasant, interested etc. But inevitably when you take on a bunch of random members of the public to train as volockies, there will be a few bad apples. Where CRT fall down is in their poor supervision and failure to detect and retrain or eliminate those bad apples.

Still no reply from Sue Blocksidge or anyone else from CRT about my feedback/complaint, despite me sending a chasing email last week. The volunteer supervisors simply don’t give a shit what boaters think of the volunteers. Boaters are just fodder for the volockies to entertain themselves with.

Interestingly, one of the CRT volunteers posted this on Facebook welcoming a new vollie :

"One of the best things I've ever done. I didn't come here looking for friends, but I've certainly made some over the last four years. Staff and boaters alike. I often say that if a boater sees you with a windlass in hand and 'volunteer' on your sleeve, you're treated like one of the family. However, do be aware that not all see volunteers in a positive light. A minority, but they are out there. Do remember to ask before assisting. Enjoy."

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interestingly, one of the CRT volunteers posted this on Facebook welcoming a new vollie :

"One of the best things I've ever done. I didn't come here looking for friends, but I've certainly made some over the last four years. Staff and boaters alike. I often say that if a boater sees you with a windlass in hand and 'volunteer' on your sleeve, you're treated like one of the family. However, do be aware that not all see volunteers in a positive light. A minority, but they are out there. Do remember to ask before assisting. Enjoy."

That's all it takes for me to see any volly in a positive light.

A few still refuse to ask, seeing you as a challenge to their (imaginary) 'authority'.

Last bad vibe I got from a volly was coming into lock which he opened for me, he instructed me to 'stay on the boat'. I got off explaining I never stay on the boat in a lock, its the last place I need to be if a problem arises... I got the huff and walk away. 

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Last bad vibe I got from a volly was coming into lock which he opened for me, he instructed me to 'stay on the boat'. I got off explaining I never stay on the boat in a lock, its the last place I need to be if a problem arises... I got the huff and walk away. 

Mine just got in a huff and stayed

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

yes the paddles only ever open about half way, and slower too

What with that and the speed limit down from 8 knots to 4, or whatever it is, I don't think I would want to be trying to earn a living selling coal anymore.

BTW, I used to enjoy going flat out past the Conservancy offices.  No-one ever said anything.  She didn't make much wash.

9 minutes ago, haza said:

12 pages of lock keepers .come on they are not all bad .

Quite right! I have come across many volunteer lock-keepers and I have yet to find one that has been less than courteous and helpful. I think sometimes the reality gets in the way of a good yarn. With the numbers involved, it is entirely possible that there are good and bad, just like, heaven forbid, there are good and not so good private boat owners. I wont mention hire boats, shared boats and time share boats for fear of unleashing the wrath that lurks round the corner, and it is too nice a day for that!? 

Howard

no mike i did not .read all of it . but to be honest i got board with it .like i do with most of the long threads on here ,i read maybe the first 5/6 and maybe the last 5/6 and thats me done ..if any one thinks thats bad of me .tough .just saying ..so mike do you read everything thats put up on here then ??