First volockie irritation of the year.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Why do you feel the need to put "@" before his name?

Because by doing so, the forum software flags it to him so he becomes aware that he's been mentioned in a post. I only learned that quite recently, but it seems courteous.  :)

Oh, rather like Rob says above!  :D

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Why do you feel the need to put "@" before his name?

It’s a Twitter thing! However, not sure it works on this forum. I haven’t received any notification but there might be a setting to turn notifications on somewhere.

edit: Ah yes there is, I have it turned off. So no point in @-ing me!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

It’s a Twitter thing! However, not sure it works on this forum. I haven’t received any notification but there might be a setting to turn notifications on somewhere.

On my tablet, I see such notifications in the same way as when someone quotes you, but I didn't make any changes to select it.  They appear via little red Bubble with a number in it.  I don't use Twitter - I learned it here.

Anyway,  was it your volocky jamming that paddle? ;)

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

On my tablet, I see such notifications in the same way as when someone quotes you, but I didn't make any changes to select it.  They appear via little red Bubble with a number in it.  I don't use Twitter - I learned it here.

Anyway,  was it your volocky jamming that paddle? ;)

I know what you mean, but I have it turned off (ditto for quote notifications). Can’t recall doing so but maybe I did.

Just now, Athy said:

When someone quotes me in a post, I get a notification anyway, but without the "@". Since "@" means "at", I can't really see its meaning in this context.

If you used social media you would understand an @mention as it is called.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you used social media you would understand an @mention as it is called.

I do: I participate in Face Book but it doesn't seem to be used there, thank goodness. Rather irritating, isn't it?

Your reply does not explain how "at" is appropriate in that context, though.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do: I participate in Face Book but it doesn't seem to be used there, thank goodness. Rather irritating, isn't it?

Your reply does not explain how "at" is appropriate in that context, though.

Yes it is, but the @ dosent show

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

When someone quotes me in a post, I get a notification anyway, but without the "@". Since "@" means "at", I can't really see its meaning in this context.

Maybe that notification is a mod thing? I think it needs the @ to notify the rest of us. I agree it is a bit naff - perhaps @RichM should enlighten us if there's something we are missing?  Maybe he can make adjustments to what or how it shows in the text?

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Maybe that notification is a mod thing? I think it needs the @ to notify the rest of us. I agree it is a bit naff - perhaps @RichM should enlighten us if there's something we are missing?  Maybe he can make adjustments to what or how it shows in the text?

It's a button at the top left of the screen between the word "create" and the "messages" button. I'm sure everyone has one. 

Now let me try this and see if it reverses colour: @Sea Dog. No, it doesn't seem to.

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

It doesn’t necessarily require a ‘meaning’ in this context. It’s simply how the software of this forum works. 

If I type : followed by D then I get :D  It doesn’t really matter ‘why’. Likewise, if I type @ followed by a member’s username it gives them an alert that they’ve been mentioned (tagged) in a post. 

(Unless they’ve turned notifications off of course)

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It doesn’t necessarily require a ‘meaning’ in this context. It’s simply how the software of this forum works. 

If I type : followed by D then I get :D  It doesn’t really matter ‘why’.

Yes, that can be bloody irritating, can't it? For example, if I'm typing a list of points, point a, b, c etc, I can't type "B" followed by an end bracket, as I would normally do, because it comes out as B). I would indeed like to know why, so that I may discover a means of avoiding it. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

The point is that it gets you a notification without your post being quoted. So if for example you wanted to bring someone into a thread they weren’t participating in because, for example, they were considered an expert in the field, that would be a convenient way to do it.

You are right, @ does mean at - ie you are directing the comment or whatever “at” someone. You will notice that if you type @ followed by a letter or two, it lists the matching member names allowing you to select the exactly correct user name. 

Let’s try it @Athy

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, that can be bloody irritating, can't it? For example, if I'm typing a list of points, point a, b, c etc, I can't type "B" followed by an end bracket, as I would normally do, because it comes out as B). I would indeed like to know why, so that I may discover a means of avoiding it. 

Well that could explains 'weird' things happening when mistype as I often do.

I've got a close-up double vision 'thing', so I see 20 fingers and 2 keyboards overlapping and displaced by about 1/2"). I suppose that is a 1 in 4 chance of hitting the right key....l perhaps I should say 'write' key.

Even so, I did not know anything about notifications, and clicking where Athy said in #215, I get dozens of them.

Sorry if the 'notifiers' are waiting for a response from me.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

@nicknorman

No, I had to type your whole name, and the black and white don't reverse. How singular.

There is a difference between @Athy and @Athy - in the second case I clicked on the popup which appeared

16 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

I thought this thread was about Volockies, now we are into Keyboard thingys.  BTW I am using an AppleMac keyboard on a Windows PC, does some very strange things. "£%~@*&!".

Once upon a time we had to re-program a keyboard to do stuff, it was painful, down there at assembly level language.

Of course Apple are weird, what madness to mix with a real PC

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Well that could explains 'weird' things happening when mistype as I often do.

I've got a close-up double vision 'thing', so I see 20 fingers and 2 keyboards overlapping and displaced by about 1/2"). I suppose that is a 1 in 4 chance of hitting the right key....l perhaps I should say 'write' key.

Even so, I did not know anything about notifications, and clicking where Athy said in #215, I get dozens of them.

Sorry if the 'notifiers' are waiting for a response from me.

Have you had your double vision investigated? If not a visit to your optician may show up the need for prism in your specs to help your eyes work together. It would also rule out anything more serious. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Once upon a time we had to re-program a keyboard to do stuff, it was painful, down there at assembly level language.

Of course Apple are weird, what madness to mix with a real PC

The reason was that the keyboard that came with the PC was one of those wireless things that ate batteries for a pastime.  Much prefer a bit of cable.   Like these 'fly-by-wire' aircraft - can I have a bit of string please?  

Next, we will have a narrowboat steered by a joystick., and remote control locks.  That will get rid of the Volockies.