Gas leak

Featured Posts

A can of spray is a useful aid to the gas locker to check the connection when a bottle is changed. A can lasts a long time, and is considerably cheaper than 13kg of propane. When did you last clean the mating face of your connecting hose?

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

A can of spray is a useful aid to the gas locker to check the connection when a bottle is changed. A can lasts a long time, and is considerably cheaper than 13kg of propane. When did you last clean the mating face of your connecting hose?

Indeed. I’ve even found a cylinder leaking round the valve stem that way and was able to get it changed. Doubt if there would have been much left by the time I came to use it, so now include the valve every time I check.

The smiley is for the Carry On standard double entendre :giggles:

5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

True had that happen a couple of months ago lost a full cylinder over a couple of days. Unfortunately it was my last cylinder so apart from wasting best part of £40  it was very inconvenient. 

Did take the opportunity to replace the tails as the lines were out of date. Now check connection after each change over using a gas detector/sniffer bought for circa £28 off ebay, useful bit of kit we'll worth having. Periodically I test all connections always using fresh alkaline batteries, the batteries I then use for my head torch. 

7 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Well this morning actually ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it sorted could not locate the leak using a spray (too small) nice gas technician man offered to come and have a look for £78 p.h........got a gas sniffer £28 from amazon on most sensitive setting found leak at two joints gave them a little tighten problem solved retested and safety  certificate in the bag.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The shop.Not the river!

When the film makers get woman to play the part of the Amazon Warriors, they rarely represent them correctly.

Maybe its because the true Amazon woman cut off their right breast to enable them to use a bow.

Image result for amazon woman

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

Wot, they were all right handed?

one thing for sure, they were not from the Americas

They lived in the city of Themiscyra, off the river Thermodon in Asia Minor, and they were a race of mighty warrior women. Source: www.greeka.com

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, treddieafloat said:

Agaze 8800A adjustable sensitivity flashes and bleeps when find leeks I've never used one and found this easy to use. If getting 1 don't pay out for next day delivery mine came next day on free delivery

I have Prime so I get free next day delivery anyway. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When the film makers get woman to play the part of the Amazon Warriors, they rarely represent them correctly.

Maybe its because the true Amazon woman cut off their right breast to enable them to use a bow.

Well off topic. Removal of the right breast has always confused me because as an archer myself I know that for a right handed archer at full draw, the string passes over the left hand side of the chest not the right and right handed women wear chest guards on the left. More information than you need. I once shot outdoors on a hot summer day without a shirt on and almost gave myself a nipplectomy when I was not standing correctly, this was my left hand one being right handed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Well off topic. Removal of the right breast has always confused me because as an archer myself I know that for a right handed archer at full draw, the string passes over the left hand side of the chest not the right and right handed women wear chest guards on the left. More information than you need. I once shot outdoors on a hot summer day without a shirt on and almost gave myself a nipplectomy when I was not standing correctly, this was my left hand one being right handed.

Thank you for that - every day is a school day.

I have been misinformed and perpetuated that error for the last 60 years.

Could it be that the unwrapped protuberance is sufficient that the bowstring hits the right one anyway ?

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Could it be that the unwrapped protuberance is sufficient that the bowstring hits the right one anyway ?

Your theory went tits up!

Edited by rusty69

On 06/03/2019 at 13:09, WotEver said:

I believe that’s why MtB used to criticise the specification for the use of bubble testers. He said the test time should be many times longer than that specified in order to find very small leaks. 

Yes I had to hold mine down for about 45 seconds once before it registered a small leak. I wouldn't be without my bubble tester, the trick is to use them properly and I hold the button down for a full minute now.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently it’s actually a 2000 year old myth...

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2016/01/13/world/warrior-women-amazons-horsewomen-archers-history/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F

3 hours ago, treddieafloat said:

Agaze 8800A adjustable sensitivity flashes and bleeps when find leeks I've never used one and found this easy to use. If getting 1 don't pay out for next day delivery mine came next day on free delivery

image.jpg

Exactly like mine just under a different brand name. 

Mine is a TONOR 8800A

Noticed the same kit appears online under multiple brand names. 

Good piece of kit I find they are very sensitive and getting them set to the correct sensitivity level takes a little practice and does require warming up for about 30secs. 

To calibrate mine I let a little gas escape from a stove ring, switch the stove ring off, test and adjust the 8800A until it sets of the alarm when near the little pool of lpg on the stove top, move the sensor away a couple of inches so that the alarm goes off. Repeat this until happy it is calibrated correctly. 

One thing I would strongly recommend is to ensure the batteries are fresh and at full capacity and always remove the batteries when not in use. 

From experience I can say NONE FRESH BATTERIES CAN GIVE FALSE READINGS. 

Overall the 8800A was better quality than I expected.