Cutting a 25mm square hole in steel

jenevers

Featured Posts

If using a jigsaw you only need to drill two holes to start the blade, Two diagonally opposite drilled corner holes which will cover all four straught edges.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

If using a jigsaw you only need to drill two holes to start the blade, Two diagonally opposite drilled corner holes which will cover all four straught edges.

Less filing to boot :)

Just now, RLWP said:

Come on, don't leave us in suspenders. What are you installing that needs a 1" square hole?

A square widget, obviously. 

8 hours ago, dor said:

Using a 35mm hole saw might reach into the corners, but will be too wide for the desired 25mm square.

I would probably drill the corners and use a jig saw to cut between, or maybe a 25mm hole saw if access is good.

Yes I didn't understand the idea of using a 35mm hole saw either. You'd end up with a hole much too wide. I'd also use a 25mm blacksmith drill bit or 24mn hole saw because the holes always end up a bit bigger, and then cut into the corners with a jigsaw. Finish off with a file. 

Do we know what the square hole is required for yet?

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes I didn't understand the idea of using a 35mm hole saw either. You'd end up with a hole much too wide

Too wide for what, Mike? To install a switch, probably. To pass a bit of 25mm square tube through - perfect!

We don't know what the job is, do we?

Richard

Edited by RLWP