Cutting a 25mm square hole in steel

jenevers

Featured Posts

Might be, if not then a jigsaw might be better with a couple of new metal cutting blades and a few drops of oil. If you can get a 25 mm drill bit with a reduced dia. shank to fit a normal electric drill (search on google) then that would do it then file the corners out. I think whatever you do it will end up with you filing bits out and using bad language.

On Monday I used a dremmel to enlarge a battery cable connector hole from 8mm to 10mm so it would fit on a 10mm stud. It took maybe 5 mins grinding and broke one 'bit'. You could do it with a dremmel but it would take weeks with my box of drills files etc. Be interesting to know if there are better quality drill bits or files that would 'survive' the 20,000rpm or so.

I'd go with a drill, hacksaw and then a decent hand file.

25 mm hole saw and a four square file.  10 minute job to do.  More time to mark out.

Less if you don't 0mind rounded corners: drill 4 corner  holes then remove centre with hole saw.  Tidy up with a file.

29 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Any advice?

"Get a man in" to do it.

The right equipment will make it an easy job.

You can skin your knuckles, burn out your drill / jig saw waste a coupe of days or pay someone with a portable plasma cutter to do it in 10 minutes.  2 minutes.

Sealey PP40E Plasma Cutter Inverter 40Amp 230V (£300)

Inverter power supply fitted with plasma cutter control circuitry. Features digital Amp display and two LEDs on the front panel indicating overload and mains power. Supplied with a 4.6m plasma torch, 2m earth cable, 2m gas hose and regulator. Ideal for cutting steel, stainless steel, galvanized steel, aluminium, copper and brass. IP21S Rated.

• Inverter power supply fitted with plasma cutter control circuitry.
  • Features digital Amp display and 2 LEDs on the front panel indicating overload and mains power.
  • Supplied with a 4.6m plasma torch, 2m earth cable, 2m gas hose and regulator.
  • Ideal for cutting steel, stainless steel, galvanized steel, aluminium, copper and brass.
  • Max. Cutting Thickness: 11mm.
  • Weight: 9.4kg.
  • IP21S Rated.
  • Model No. PP40E

Technical Specifications

• Model No PP40E
  • Power Output: 8-40A
  • Duty Cycle: 60% @ 40A, 100% @ 30A
  • Maximum Cutting Thickness: 11mm
  • Air Requirements: 250ltr/min
  • Working Pressure: 43.5-58psi
  • Absorbed Power: 6.2kW
  • Supply: 230V*
  • Insulation: F
  • Protection: IP21S
  • Weight: 9.4kg
  • Replacement Consumables:
  • Electrode, Short (Pack Qty): PP40E.E (x5)
  • Nozzle, Short (Pack Qty): PP40E.N (x5)
  • Diffuser (Pack Qty): PP40E.D (x5)
  • Safety Cap (Pack Qty): PP40E.SC (x2)
  • Note: *To achieve maximum power a 32A supply may be required.
  • Nett Weight: 9.4kg
Edited by Alan de Enfield

Depending on access for the jigsaw, drill 4 corner holes then jigsaw, using the jigsaw to clean out the corners as well, no filing except for tidying up.  Prefer this to using a hole saw.  Curiosity - what do you need the square hole for?

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Depending on access for the jigsaw, drill 4 corner holes then jigsaw, using the jigsaw to clean out the corners as well, no filing except for tidying up.  Prefer this to using a hole saw.  Curiosity - what do you need the square hole for?

Apparently he has a round peg that needs fitting !!

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

Curiosity - what do you need the square hole for?

Now, there's a thought. A 25mm square hole is about 35mm across the diagonal. So a 35mm hole saw would be easier

For that matter a 30mm saw and just file in the corners might work

A Dremel - no

Richard

14 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Now, there's a thought. A 25mm square hole is about 35mm across the diagonal. So a 35mm hole saw would be easier

For that matter a 30mm saw and just file in the corners might work

That's dangerously close to practical geometry! Whether it works or not depends on the width of the flange (or whatever) that stops the whole thing falling through the hole.

Using a 35mm hole saw might reach into the corners, but will be too wide for the desired 25mm square.

I would probably drill the corners and use a jig saw to cut between, or maybe a 25mm hole saw if access is good.

1 minute ago, dor said:

Using a 35mm hole saw might reach into the corners, but will be too wide for the desired 25mm square.

I would probably drill the corners and use a jig saw to cut between, or maybe a 25mm hole saw if access is good.

There would be a heck of a lot more filing to make a 25mm circle into a square than there would be sharpening up the corners of 4 holes in the corners, so my preference would be the 4 holes joined up with a jigsaw. 

57 minutes ago, Fitter kieron said:

You could chain drill it around the edges with a small bit starting with the corners. knock the centre out then file the high spots flat.

Even less filing and no jigsaw :)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No!!! Stop it with the ideas - I've already sold 43 tickets to folk keen to watch someone cutting a 25mm square hole in 6mm thick steel with a Dremmel! ;)

You might with this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOVELY-OLD-VINTAGE-AMERICAN-MADE-DREMEL-WITH-TRANSFORMER/123673181444?hash=item1ccb7efd04:g:HLwAAOSwAn9cfBRp

Richard

• Happy 1

my dad joined the RAF in 1941 and qualified as a skilled fitter (RR Merlin rebuilds in the field).  One of the tests was taking a 1" thick bar and cutting a hole in it 1" square, and then making a 1" cube to fit in hole in all different positions, with minimal clearance.  Hard and difficult work.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

You need a square hole drill bit.

Amazing. I knew there must be an answer. Unfortunately that obviously can’t be used as a hand held device. I’m going down the 4 holes joined up by a jigsaw route.