Towing Companies

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, StationMaster said:

Domestic (that's the one that has gone), Starter and travelpower. So 3 in total.

So is the belt that drives the smaller 12V alternator still in place and does this go around another pulley in addition to the alternator? This will be the water pump.

So......

Sounds like overheating not caused by alternator or pressure in the water system, I'll have a look today to see if I can bleed the skin tank. Then if that doesn't work ask Bizzard to visit - then take it from there. I have a basic understanding of things but much prefer to get someone to view the engine as my lack of terminology can can mean much confusion.

1 minute ago, StationMaster said:

So......

Sounds like overheating not caused by alternator or pressure in the water system, I'll have a look today to see if I can bleed the skin tank. Then if that doesn't work ask Bizzard to visit - then take it from there. I have a basic understanding of things but much prefer to get someone to view the engine as my lack of terminology can can mean much confusion.

Can you do the photo thing? It may help to get you sorted even if temporarily

I'm going to have to leave this for now, I have a couple of boat engines to rebuild. I'll drop in again at lunchtime

Richard

8 minutes ago, philjw said:

So is the belt that drives the smaller 12V alternator still in place and does this go around another pulley in addition to the alternator? This will be the water pump.

Yes still in place, I'll add check the tension to my list for today.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Warped head = ££££££££££££££££

Is this boat new to you ?

Has it been running OK (previously to this problem) ?

Without an alternator how do you keep the batteries charged ?

Is it a 'stationary' floating flat, or has it been used for cruising ?

Used for 'proper' cruising, apart from domestic alternator problems everything has been ok so far.

Travelpower or Gen or solar provides charge during difficulties with the domestic alternator.

Edited by Guest

Please just post pictures of all alternators / travelpowers, to clearly show the belts that drive them, (or at least where they should be!) and all the pulleys involved both on engines and alternator.

That will make it far easier for people to offer good advice.

50 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Domestic (that's the one that has gone), Starter and travelpower. So 3 in total.

Does it look something like this ?   This is the standard setup for a twin alternator engine. The water pump is directly above the crankshaft pulley. Which belt is missing ?

shire-canal-boat-engine.jpg

Edited by Flyboy

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Does it look something like this ?   This is the standard setup for a twin alternator engine. The water pump is directly above the crankshaft pulley. Which belt is missing ?

Bottom one. Now I must really get on and start trying to sort things.

25 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

If its that one , its overheating because someones put little red plugs over every water outlet/inlet....:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StationMaster said:

So......

I would suggest you get Bizzard to visit anyway, so that he can point out what is what on your engine and help you understand simple things like regular maintenance.

BARRUS SHIRE 110A Alternator known problem. 

If you have the the original Barrus domestic 110a alternator and this us the one giving the problems then it is worth knowing that there were significant problems with these and Barrus stopped using them some time ago. The alternators were made in South America (Argentina I believe) and were totaly unreliable, so much so that the company went bust and no after market company chose to provide a after market copy of the design. Its a long history but effectively until I replaced mine with a generic 90a alternator I had nothing but problems with fan belts constantly breaking. 

As others have pointed out the 110a amp belt is shared with the water pump so your 2 problems are related, possibly, to this badly designed 110a alternator.

First check is to see if you have this 110a Barrus alternator, if so then I would strongly recommend replacing it with a different generic alternator. 

Here's and old thread that covers some of the history of this problem 

• Greenie 1

Another old 2005 thread mentioning this 110a problem. Note the comment from Gary Peacock who was a boat builder who regularly posted on this forum in the past. 

"

Very common problem two or three years ago they have now changed alternator manafacturer." 

Edited by reg

6 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

I'll update this thread once Bizzard has visited in a few days time.

Splendid. You are in for quite an experience - in a good way

Richard

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

I'll update this thread once Bizzard has visited in a few days time.

For someone who at the beginning of this thread only wanted to get there boat down to a yard I think you have done really well working through things with the advice given. I hope at the end of the day it all pays dividends for you and everything works out OK

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

For someone who at the beginning of this thread only wanted to get there boat down to a yard I think you have done really well working through things with the advice given. I hope at the end of the day it all pays dividends for you and everything works out OK

Thank you. And thanks to the other contributors to this thread for providing their advice.

Many thanks to Bizzard for visiting today, what a nice man.

Both thermostats kaput and housing engine to skin tank and header tank leaking just underneath water cap. Not possible to say what was the original cause of the overheating.

Now able to move the boat keeping a very close eye on coolant level. Will sort out ordering and replacing parts once I've worked out the most convenient location for me to do so and go from there.

I may yet have got away without any engine damage.

Thanks all.

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Is that because he shaves his feet? ?

The opposite

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Repoet on Station masters ship,  But not a lengthy scientific or complicated report.  Arrived at the scene at 11,37am precisely. Had coffee, rolled a fag and then examined the situation. Engine had overheated badly and lost coolant.  Engine I;m pretty certain has not suffered any damage as the oil has no sign of water in it, no steam from the exhaust and no exhaust pong emitting from the coolant fillers. One of two things happened to cause this overheat. Firstly I took both  thermostats out and tested it in boiling water, ''No good'' so put housing back minus thermostats. Ran engine up, lovely apart from water pissistantly trickling out from below the filler cap on the thermostat housing. After a scientific examination and experimention of this unit it proved not to be filler cap seals but water leaking from the screwd thread where the short filler tube screws into the thermostat housing casting, couldn't do much about that without Barrus spares. Which happened first, either leaking water past this thread which caused a severe overheat which knackered the thermostats or the thermostat failed first causing  enough overheat to destroy any sealant that was on the filler tube thread and causing that to leak. Anyway the nice Mr Station master is now on his way topping up his water now and then,''I hope'' and is going to order from Barras a new housing with threaded fill neck, two gaskets and two new thermostats, these of which he will now know how to renew.  Lots of air was in the skin tank too.      The End.

Nice one - and to your usual standard. You are a star

Richard