Towing Companies

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

The more information you give us, the more likely someone will offer to help.

Is it an engine problem?  Is it a gearbox problem?  We need to know what the boat is or isn't doing - and if it only does whatever it does sometimes, what makes it do it.

60ft narrowboat, engine overheating within 30 mins of starting, coolant leaking and some other stuff. Not going to go down the online fix side of things. Mostly that assumes I'm competent to work out what to ask and what I should advice I should ignore.

Thanks to all that posted about arranging a tow - comments appreciated.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

If it were (for example) something like head gasket failure, this is perfectly fixable by an experienced mobile engineer, without needing a tow to any yard.

What engine type is it?

Barrus Shire

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm not suggesting you do so, just that the more information you give the more likely it is that a member will offer to look at it for you.

Wasn't really looking for someone to have a look at it more me just looking for advice. Please don't take this as an unfriendly comment.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If it were (for example) something like head gasket failure, this is perfectly fixable by an experienced mobile engineer, without needing a tow to any yard.

What engine type is it?

Trying to find someone with good knowledge who is prepared to travel, then walk down a muddy towpath in this area isn't easy. Happy for recommendations though.

2 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Trying to find someone with good knowledge who is prepared to travel, then walk down a muddy towpath in this area isn't easy. Happy for recommendations though.

As previously asked "what is the problem" ?

32 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

...........engine overheating within 30 mins of starting, coolant leaking and some other stuff.

Doesn't really cover it - what 'other stuff'.

Its no use making recommendations for someone able to sort 'mechanicals' if the problems are 'electrical' or 'plumbing based'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As previously asked "what is the problem" ?

If I knew I'd tell you.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Doesn't really cover it - what 'other stuff'.

Its no use making recommendations for someone able to sort 'mechanicals' if the problems are 'electrical' or 'plumbing based'.

Overheating, coolant loss and alternator issues - needs someone to view and see rather than me speculating.

2 hours ago, StationMaster said:

60ft narrowboat, engine overheating within 30 mins of starting, coolant leaking and some other stuff. Not going to go down the online fix side of things. Mostly that assumes I'm competent to work out what to ask and what I should advice I should ignore.

Thanks to all that posted about arranging a tow - comments appreciated.

The simplest possible fix to that problem is one of the easiest ones to do yourself.

Bleed the skin tank. Look at the top of the skin tank for a fixing that looks like it could be removed. It will be one or the other end, possibly even on the top of the pipe fixing that enters at the highest point.

Get a tool to undo whatever nut, screw,block...or if you are really lucky there may be a tap there.

Start the engine and loosen said fixing. 

If you get any liquid running straight away it is a more serious problem.

If you get air...let it carry on hissing out....until you get liquid out....then re-tighten. Your problem may well now be solved.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The simplest possible fix to that problem is one of the easiest ones to do yourself.

Bleed the skin tank. Look at the top of the skin tank for a fixing that looks like it could be removed. It will be one or the other end, possibly even on the top of the pipe fixing that enters at the highest point.

Get a tool to undo whatever nut, screw,block...or if you are really lucky there may be a tap there.

Start the engine and loosen said fixing. 

If you get any liquid running straight away it is a more serious problem.

If you get air...let it carry on hissing out....until you get liquid out....then re-tighten. Your problem may well now be solved.

Will try that tomorrow but doubt it will sort why when I try pouring water into the header tank it then pours out of the filler cap on the engine.

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

You have had two suggestions of the same person who lives (on a boat) in your area - I'll do it a third time - contact 'Bizzard' on this forum - if he can't help, he will know who can.

I have done so.

6 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Will try that tomorrow but doubt it will sort why when I try pouring water into the header tank it then pours out of the filler cap on the engine.

It will if you have an airlock in the skin tank.

Either that or your pressure cap has failed, seal gone.

Edited by matty40s

26 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

If that's what happening, you're filling the engine the wrong way.  On a Barrus Shire you fill via the cap/screwed plug on the exhaust manifold or thermostat housing until it's full, then put the cap/screwed plug back in place. Now fill the header tank. The header tank being higher than the exhaust manifold or thermostat housing will obviously empty out of the manifold/thermostat housing if the cap/bung is off.

Edited by Flyboy

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It will if you have an airlock in the skin tank.

Either that or your pressure cap has failed, seal gone.

My betting is that the seal has gone - engine was overheating but I tried to continue until a safe mooring was available - result lots of steam.

14 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

If that's what happening, you're filling the engine the wrong way.  On a Barrus Shire you fill via the cap/screwed plug on the exhaust manifold or thermostat housing until it's full, then put the cap/screwed plug back in place. Now fill the header tank. The header tank being higher than the exhaust manifold or thermostat housing will obviously empty out of the manifold/thermostat housing if the cap/bung is off.

And if the cap/bung is supposedly screwed up tight would you expect it to leak under no pressure? This is why I don't like internet diagnosis when the poster that you are trying to help has only a little knowledge of engines.

No offence to Flyboy intended

13 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

And if the cap/bung is supposedly screwed up tight would you expect it to leak under no pressure? This is why I don't like internet diagnosis when the poster that you are trying to help has only a little knowledge of engines.

No offence to Flyboy intended

No offence taken, I thought you were trying to fill it with the engine cap off. No it shouldn't leak. The cap seal  is obviously faulty as others have said.

4 hours ago, frangar said:

..I work on the principle that it might be me needing a tow one day!

Quite right.   I towed a motor and butty several miles, it was some charity or school.  Wouldn't dream of charging.  Even my little paddle-driven boat has towed several other craft, including a Big Rikky. 

When I got stemmed up on the GU in London, BWB sent a tug.   No charge.  Happier times, maybe.

9 hours ago, StationMaster said:

My betting is that the seal has gone - engine was overheating but I tried to continue until a safe mooring was available - result lots of steam.

That is a fair diagnosis but if the filler cap on the expansion tank and engine are similar then it is possible someone has transposed them or fitted an "ordinary" pressure cap.  If they do look similar the one on the engine should have a rubber seal immediately under the cap. It may or may not have a spring thing hanging down but it is the cap to top of filler neck rubber seal that is important. This just takes  looking and no further knowledge.  If the engine filler is a metal screw in plug ignore this post.

You seem to have enough posts to send Bizzard a private message

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you identified which marina / workshop can do the work ?

13 hours ago, StationMaster said:

No primarily because I want to find out how I'm going to get the boat there first, once I have an understanding of that I can start phoning around.

Contact a local boatyard first. Then they can probably send a boat out to tow you in. 

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is a fair diagnosis but if the filler cap on the expansion tank and engine are similar then it is possible someone has transposed them or fitted an "ordinary" pressure cap.  If they do look similar the one on the engine should have a rubber seal immediately under the cap. It may or may not have a spring thing hanging down but it is the cap to top of filler neck rubber seal that is important. This just takes  looking and no further knowledge.  If the engine filler is a metal screw in plug ignore this post.

You seem to have enough posts to send Bizzard a private message

I've been in touch with Bizzard by PM.

Swapping the filler caps around works to stop the leak but engine still overheats. Wondering if my first option is to get a new filler cap and then see what happens.