Battery selection confusion....

Featured Posts

Hello all.

Well, it is time to replace the bank of four! 

They were fitted by the previous owner in 2011 and i took over ownership in 2013. I have been either on the marina pushing power into them via a Sterling inverter/charger or cruising regularly for up to 3 weeks at a time. I have been flogging on with them since, and they have done really well considering i once left the fridge on with the door open for 2 weeks unattended, and exhausted them completely. Despite a subsequent obsessive power conservation regime, it is time to wake up to a charge reading of over 12.1v.

The barcode suggests they are Platinum LB6110L's and given the fact they have done well i thought i would get like for like.

My inkling is though that the Platinums' longevity is more down to my (generally) careful regime, and other batteries may be even better. I am tempted to get some Varta LFD90's, which have a lower rating of course, but seem to have good reports and will fit. They are even a bit cheaper and a top branded name. Is a good 90 better than a "regular" 110? Tayna stock both, and i live locally to collect. I was also considering similar Banner or Exide.

The most critical aspect is any replacement must fit in the box and take the same cabling - see pic - i am not in the mood for extra aggro and expense in that area, although the existing batteries are a pretty much a standard size. 

received_602239163532797.jpeg

Edited by Hartlebury lad

Your batteries have lasted well.

There are those in here that say to treat batteries as consumables. I agree. You can invest large amounts of well earned into battery banks. If like me, you are to idle to maintain correctly, you'll bugger up expensive batteries as easily as cheap ones.

We have used, ABS, Advanced Battery Supplies, for new batteries. Our last lot lasted four years or more. We live aboard.  Go for none maintenance in my view.   But there again, what do I know?

others will have their opinion.

• Greenie 1

Sound advice by Nightwatch.

Only ever consider buying quality batteries when you know how to look after them (you do given the time yours have lasted) and you are sufficiently interested and self disciplined to monitor and maintain them properly.

Thank you both.

I found this link on a previous thread that made me think, because it specifically mentions the Platinums and the Varta in the article. 

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

I have just realised that this thread may have been better placed on the Equipment section. Mods, feel free to shift it over there please if so. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Hartlebury lad said:

Thank you both.

I found this link on a previous thread that made me think, because it specifically mentions the Platinums and the Varta in the article. 

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

I have just realised that this thread may have been better placed on the Equipment section. Mods, feel free to shift it over there please if so. 

Good article that. Thanks for sharing :)