whatsapp

jenevers

Featured Posts

Spooky innit? 

I dont know how or why even. I keep getting calls from Manchester or Birmingham and even the local std code for where my 'hone' address is. These are all call centres. You call them back and unrecognisable numbers. Computerisms are beyond my simple mind.

By the way, whatsapp also does me 'ead in. I refuse to use it. 

WhatsApp is owned by facebook - there is currently a big scandal going on in the 'background' regarding the usage of 'members' mobile phone numbers and several companies are using the phone number to track and locate their owners.

There was a news report on this just yesterday.

I view this whole 'social media' thing as a huge risk, and not something that should be used by anyone with any sense.

• Greenie 2

Its a local group thing, they all do it here ,except me. I tried to get on it but you need a modern smart phone with a camera I think to kick it off and my phone is 20 years old Nokia.

Edited by bizzard

If you have given them your telephone number for "extra security" what do you expect. They don't even have my actual email address let alone my telephone number. Bunch of scammers. I only use FB to keep in contact with my family who live a long way away from me and I am seriously considering closing that account.  

I think all they need is the mobile number (not name too) - so you could harvest (just) them, or simply guess. Of course, WhatsApp allows you to not accept random invitations, or if you do, subsequently block them. If you did this before giving personal info away, there would be no further info leak - the fact that the mobile number is valid, is already given away by their being able to request the contact.

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Its a local group thing, they all do it here ,except me. I tried to get on it but you need a modern smart phone with a camera I think to kick it off and my phone is 20 years old Nokia.

When it packs up you can always use it as ballast ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rickent said:

When it packs up you can always use it as ballast ?

Its a very neat little job, £12 at Tesco's. I hold the record for doings its Snake game. Battery lasts weeks before charging.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Its a very neat little job, £12 at Tesco's. I hold the record for doings its Snake game. Battery lasts weeks before charging.

That's exactly what my other half has! Won't have anything to do with smartphones!

4 minutes ago, Lysander said:

That's exactly what my other half has! Won't have anything to do with smartphones!

I avoid any artical with the word SMART in its name like I would never eat at places that call themselves EATERIES, yuk!!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Lysander said:

My other half loves her smart phone. It is called 'does stuff' after she said, 'I love my phone it does stuff'.

Cheers Graham

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Someone contacted me on WhatsApp who I hadn't invited but who had my mobile number. How did they do this?

If you look in your own WhatsApp app, you'll see a list of those folk in your phone contacts who also have WhatsApp installed. Since you already have the mobile phone number, it's just allowing you to choose another method to communicate with that mobile. Nothing sinister - think of it like giving someone your address and then they use it to send you a card. 

I was surprised when I discovered that all the folk on boats here had a photo of me standing by my beautiful and cherrished 1980's motor car. Someone here took a photo and stuck in on Whatsapp for all to see.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Is it standing next to a beautiful and cherished 1980s phone box? (I haven't looked)

No, by a blackberry bush. Its a Swedish car built in Holland with a Renault B14 engine, orrible Bosch electrics and wipers on the headlamps, a bitsa.

There was an article in the nations favourite newspaper about an even worse intrusion. Quite a few apps on smartphones can access the microphone in the background, so as long as the phone is switched on they can hear what is said. They have algorisms that listen for keywords so that they can target you for adverts.

The advise is to go through all the apps on your phone and turn off access to the mike.

4 hours ago, artleknock said:

There was an article in the nations favourite newspaper about an even worse intrusion. Quite a few apps on smartphones can access the microphone in the background, so as long as the phone is switched on they can hear what is said. They have algorisms that listen for keywords so that they can target you for adverts.

The advise is to go through all the apps on your phone and turn off access to the mike.

Would you rather get adverts for stuff you aren't interested in?  You are going to get adverts if you use the web, its pretty much unavoidable, so you may as well get ones that mean something to you. Unless of course you don't want your nearest and dearest to see ads for beers and kebabs when you have told them you've been to the opera and the ballet. :cheers:

1 hour ago, KevMc said:

Would you rather get adverts for stuff you aren't interested in?  You are going to get adverts if you use the web, its pretty much unavoidable, so you may as well get ones that mean something to you. Unless of course you don't want your nearest and dearest to see ads for beers and kebabs when you have told them you've been to the opera and the ballet. :cheers:

But the point of this article was that if the phone is not in use, just switched on, the mike is still active.

The reporter made the point that she was having a meal with a freind and her phone was on the table, her companion talked about getting lazer eye surgery. Even though she has perfect eyesight she was inundated with adverts about lazer treatment and new glasses.

19 minutes ago, artleknock said:

But the point of this article was that if the phone is not in use, just switched on, the mike is still active.

The reporter made the point that she was having a meal with a freind and her phone was on the table, her companion talked about getting lazer eye surgery. Even though she has perfect eyesight she was inundated with adverts about lazer treatment and new glasses.

Sounds like scaremongering bolleaux from a sensationalising rag to me.  I certainly hope so!  :o