Puppies on boats

Ruby22

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Leptospirosis (Weils disease) is included in the standard puppy vaccinations.

The booster's given by the vets vary. Our vet never used to give the one that covered Leptospirosis but where my daughter worked 3 miles away they did. Our vet has now started doing the one for Leptospirosis. So you need to ensure that what your vet does will give you the cover you want

• Greenie 2

On 05/03/2019 at 08:58, Nightwatch said:

Why? Let me explain. We have brought up two pups on Nightwatch from justseven weeks old. Both at sometime have taken a plunge. As they were pups you don't leave them unattended. They have an inbuilt survival instinct. My personal view is that buoyancy aids are/can be hindrance. Others will disagree I'm sure.

We have seen many boats with lurched type dogs onboard. They get into small places and appear to be enjoying the lifestyle. To me it doesn't matter a jot whether a mansion, house or boat where the pups are brought up. It's down to the owners. As previous dog owners ten to one, they're be okay. It is sometimes better for a dog to be introduced to a life afloat from an early age than as an adult hound.

we 'house' trained them with puppy mats many to start with then reducing them over time and moving them towards the 'exit' as time passed. Once they were allowed on terra firma lots of praise when duty is done ashore, and, not too much, a reprimand when an accident occurs. There WILL be accidents. Puppies love routine. Feed in the same place, at regulars times. Chewing can be a problem if they get a bit bored. (I know where to buy cheap phone charger cables), lots of toys, cardboard boxes etc. I will Post some photos.

1. First meal onboard. 2. Playtime. 3. Time for a kip.

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

I dont like little dogs usualy but having met these two and indeed been molested by them!! I can say that they are a delight. The owners a pratt but lovely dogs ?

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

I do not own a dog.

However it seems to me the boating lifestyle on inland waterways is close to doggy heaven.

It certainly is, yet there are several numpty, no idea about real life dog rescue centres that will not allow rehoming onto a boat!! A flat, yes but a fab boat, no :banghead:

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont like little dogs usualy but having met these two and indeed been molested by them!! I can say that they are a delight. The owners a pratt but lovely dogs ?

I love you too, Tim. You know me too well. This will have to change!!!?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mark99 said:

Get a room. ;)

Nice to see two puppies with fat full bellies sleeping.

Nope, won't get a room with him, last time he didn't pay his half. And he brought a lass back and made a lot of noise. Yorkshire git!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update you all after you were so helpful.... I had a chat with the potential home, and asked that they let me know when they’d moved moorings (which they were intending to do in the following few days, to a rural spot) so we could visit and do a home/boat check, but I never heard any more from them. All the pups have now found homes though. 

Thank you all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2019 at 12:08, tree monkey said:

There's a  boat on the network with I think 4 greyhounds, well behaved and seem to enjoy the life.

Sorry I forgot the boat name but they are members here

We have 4 dogs - 2 lurchers, a whippet & a kind of whole bundle of little terrier & are planning to liveaboard next year; they've done so much travelling with us so far I'm guessing it's not going to be too much of a problem. The terrier monster especially will in heaven.    I mean she won't be dead, hopefully, she's only 2 -  I mean she will absolutely love it.....

• Haha 1

We had puppies aboard, but with their mother, who did all the training.  A couple went to lock-keepers on the Thames.

The mother had a habit of jumping off the boat into the water to chase ducks, she swam very well.

21 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

We had puppies aboard, but with their mother, who did all the training.  A couple went to lock-keepers on the Thames.

The mother had a habit of jumping off the boat into the water to chase ducks, she swam very well.

Just as well,     ..... but did she ever catch one?

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks like bullocks to me. 

Steers don't have bulwarks, poor things.

46 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

How do you know it's American?

We have steers in the UK as well.  They are castrated males.