Painting recommendation

Featured Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I’m grateful, but I must point out that I only offer signwriting and traditional decorating services, not coach painting or blacking. I’m only a fancy painter! One yard I work with has another Dave there, he’s “ Big brush “ while I’m only the “ little brush” version.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, dave moore said:

Thanks for the heads up, I’m grateful, but I must point out that I only offer signwriting and traditional decorating services, not coach painting or blacking. I’m only a fancy painter! One yard I work with has another Dave there, he’s “ Big brush “ while I’m only the “ little brush” version.

I cannot comment on Kilworth but you could consider using John Sanderson at Dadfords Wharf for the painting, and Dave Moore for the decoration and signwriting, which is what we did. Dave and John will co-ordinate the work, so you do not have to do anything except advise what type of decoration you require.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I cannot comment on Kilworth but you could consider using John Sanderson at Dadfords Wharf for the painting, and Dave Moore for the decoration and signwriting, which is what we did. Dave and John will co-ordinate the work, so you do not have to do anything except advise what type of decoration you require.

David, I saw Helvetia a few times after your repainted and it looks fabulous. A good recommendation. I guess waiting time is an issue.

Nightwatch was repainted prior to our purchase in 2005. Apart from some touching up, the paint is okay but a bit tired now. We are in the process of giving it a proper wash and wax and it's coming up really well. Don't think the boat has had a 'back t metal' repaint as there's lots of pretty colours if you get a chip here and there. In the back of my mind I am considering such a decision but as 'we' are okay I'm adopting the 'if it works, don't fix it' attitude. The cost, I'm led to believe id about £100 a foot. Is this still current? The joys of boating.

30 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

David, I saw Helvetia a few times after your repainted and it looks fabulous. A good recommendation. I guess waiting time is an issue.

Nightwatch was repainted prior to our purchase in 2005. Apart from some touching up, the paint is okay but a bit tired now. We are in the process of giving it a proper wash and wax and it's coming up really well. Don't think the boat has had a 'back t metal' repaint as there's lots of pretty colours if you get a chip here and there. In the back of my mind I am considering such a decision but as 'we' are okay I'm adopting the 'if it works, don't fix it' attitude. The cost, I'm led to believe id about £100 a foot. Is this still current? The joys of boating.

We recently paid £110 a foot, plus paint and materials, plus removing and resealing the windows, plus rent of the polytunnel. Then we paid for a signwriter. All worth it though!

Just now, Lysander said:

We recently paid £110 a foot, plus paint and materials, plus removing and resealing the windows, plus rent of the polytunnel. Then we paid for a signwriter. All worth it though!

More than I thought then? Well worth it I'm sure. However, if it works don't fix it!!!

9 minutes ago, Lysander said:

We paid John Sanderson £100 a foot back  in 2012 , stripped back to bare meatal, all fittings removed, and Dave Moore's decoration and signwriting. I don't know what he charges these days.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

More than I thought then? Well worth it I'm sure. However, if it works don't fix it!!!

It was worth it to us. The red paint was oxidised (?), had gone completely flat and was beyond help! We have a nice grey boat now.Lysandercropped.jpg.85d86a3114a9939c3d7761854f5b74a2.jpg

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

My best quote at somewhere I trust has been £130 per foot inclusive of paint but excluding signwriting.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I do know of one boat painted at the start of last year for £12k (not inc signwriting). Its being completely repainted somewhere else next year as the job was so bad. Unfortunately the owner had missed the negative reviews that were out there and believed the patter.

Paying a lot doesn't mean you get a good job.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I do know of one boat painted at the start of last year for £12k (not inc signwriting). Its being completely repainted somewhere else next year as the job was so bad. Unfortunately the owner had missed the negative reviews that were out there and believed the patter.

Paying a lot doesn't mean you get a good job.

Above all else, that is very sad. The fact that someone, obviously inept of doing a good job is presumably still carrying out inferior work. At great cost.

Sad to read such comments. When I'm looking for the job to be done I will shout from the roof tops for advice and recconmendations from those in the know. 

On 05/03/2019 at 09:32, Nightwatch said:

We are about 30% through our 'elbow grease' refurb of Nightwatch's paint work. It's rain ever since we got to this point. 

Do we continue when we can, or leave well alone? We need rain. We like a semi Shiney boat. Oh! Decisions, decisions.

I had my boat blacked at Norton Canes yard, Glascote, last year. While I was there I spent some time watching the boat painting team. I have to say I was very impressed with the thoroughness of their efforts, and the final results were outstanding. Might be worth getting in touch with them.